Acoustic GDU vs GDU (Album Version)

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: Acoustic GDU vs GDU (Album Version)

Post by lune ellise »

Closer wrote:"... In New Orleans and the deep South it's tradition to make a party of a funeral instead of grieving in church. It's more a celebration of a passage and not grievance about the end..."
Is that so? Then my country and New Orleans are very much similar, although there is no actual dancing that would take place. You see, we do not follow Halloween here. Instead, we have All Souls Day, that's the time when we celebrate the day of the dead. We would bring food and actually make merry on the graves...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

lune ellise wrote:
Closer wrote:"... In New Orleans and the deep South it's tradition to make a party of a funeral instead of grieving in church. It's more a celebration of a passage and not grievance about the end..."
Is that so? Then my country and New Orleans are very much similar, although there is no actual dancing that would take place. You see, we do not follow Halloween here. Instead, we have All Souls Day, that's the time when we celebrate the day of the dead. We would bring food and actually make merry on the graves...
We don't celebrate Halloween here either. We also have All Souls' Day today, November second. It's mainly a Catholic tradition.

Anyway, to get back on topic. I think it would have worked if GDU would be only acoustic but I don't know if it would be a better album then. The diversity makes it great and obviously that would be lacking then, so I don't really know.

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Hi!
Closer asked where did GDU idea come from, in one of the pre-release interviews Dave said that it was because everybody has a death wish, everybody likes to dance and everybody likes to get together and he thought it was clever but nobody got it! Haha, what a perfect example of pirnersim!! I remember when I first saw the interview, I thought it was so funny (it still is) I kept retelling this to all of my friends!
And also their manager told them to name the album after a lyric from a song. OK, I'll stop babbling now, here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7C1Qo0H ... re=related

I just noticed that it's one of Mike's videos, so you've probably seen it already, but never mind :D

ON topic: I think GDU is perfect the way it is, when I bought it, and when was going over the top with listening to it, I thought the acoustic version of Somebody To Shove was almost better than the original thing and I still can't decide, but I'm glad the official version is electric
OK, that's it from me