Favorite SA tracks

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
mad_soul
Inmate

Re: Favorite SA tracks

Post by mad_soul »

When I was young (like 12 years ago, jaja) I recorded many cassettes with Soul Asylum songs… I wanted to hear “the best of the songs”, so I recorded 10 times the same line of a song… and my mom used to think my cd player was “broken”, jajaja…. I also made a cassette that contains the “chorus” (or similar) of all the songs =)… and my favorite one: a cassette that plays for 30 minutes the instrumental parts of “Gullible's Travels”.
Well, these are some of my favorites:
99%
Gullible's Travels
Beggars and Choosers
Closer To the Stars (original version)
Success Is Not So Sweet

=o)

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Wow...I guess I never did get around to answering this, but then again, I haven't heard every SA song out there yet. :P

I can't choose my favorite 5 but what I can list here are songs you'll always find me playing repeatedly (in random order).

One Way Conversation
Long Way Home
Miss This
Oxygen
All the Kings Friends

The next five are:

Freak Accident
Closer to the Stars
Cradle Chain
Forever and a Day
Never Really Been

You notice I have just one song from Horse up here? That's because if I included more of 'em, my top 5 would look like this:

Veil of Tears
Gullible's Travels
Nice Guys Don't Get Paid
One Way Conversation
All the Kings Friends

:P

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

mad_soul wrote:and my favorite one: a cassette that plays for 30 minutes the instrumental parts of “Gullible's Travels”.

ooh that one sounds good ! :)

swendo
Runaway

Post by swendo »

I just went to a wedding in TX, so I'll borrow from that theme:

Something old - "Stranger" (unplugged version w/harp - great to hear last Thurs; honorable mention "Broken Glass", which definitely would have gotten higher billing over "Stranger" in my younger days, when Time's Incinerator wasn't a "collector's item" but just another SA tape).

Something new - "Crazy Mixed-Up World" - this is the song I always enjoy listening to off of TSL when it comes up on party shuffle - typical Dave wordplay (which is to say fantastico), nice acousticy tune, (plus I remember seeing real jet-fighters streaking the air while this was on on my ear goggles).

Something borrowed - "Chains" I didn't even know this was a cover when I first got the album, and this, as is everything off of Clam Dip, is 100% awesome.

Something blue - "Barstool Blues" Could have also listed this in the above category, but it's such a great song and they do it so perfectly (and it's the only good SA tune I know of with any reference to blue. Dishonorable mention - Black and Blue - oy :) but you can't blame youth for being young and there are tons of bands who still sound exactly like that. Geez, I'm glad they advanced though). I remember reading in an interview somewhere Dave talking about his pick of this tune for the Bridge and how much he loves Zuma and it being such a straight-up rock album. I couldn't agree with him more. Also, when I watch Rust Never Sleeps, I can see how Mr. Young may have impressed upon a young Dave Pirner's rock presence, minus the shakey knee and hair spins. I know SA has covered "Lookin' for a Love" and GS has covered "Don't Cry No Tears". Plus, 70% of the bands on the Bridge are right in my wheelhouse - DJr., Victoria Williams, Flaming Lips, Pixies, Sonic Youth, et al.

And finally (the end of this post! :), my stuck-on-a-deserted-island-Soul Asylum song = "Sometime to Return". I figure I've listened to this at least bimonthly (and that's a VERY conservative estimate) for the last 20 years, so 20 * 6 = 120 times (again, that number is low) and I still get fired up every time I hear that intro. Honorable mention - the next song on the album.

Great thread, great site, great band.
There's a ringing in my ears that's Heaven-sent

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

swendo wrote:And finally (the end of this post! :), my stuck-on-a-deserted-island-Soul Asylum song = "Sometime to Return"
It's also my number one favorite. And just as I was reading that part of your post and thinking about how much I love it, it came up in the shuffle! (I didn't realize Windows Vista had mind-reading capabilities. :P )

mrsromek
Inmate

Post by mrsromek »

Somebody to Shove
See You Later
Oxygen

The Village Idiot
Marionette

Post by The Village Idiot »

1. All The Kings Friends
2. Made To Be Broken
3. April Fool
4. Freaks
5. Losin It

It's so hard not to put the whole horse album.

sonjablonde
Stranger

Post by sonjablonde »

Oxygen
Sometime To Return
Just Like Anyone
Secret No More
Black Gold

Hugo
Stranger

Post by Hugo »

Pretty tough question but I'd pick:

Runaway Train - I remember that I cried the first time I listen to it! And it was also the first time I listened to Soul Asylum.

I Did My Best - Simple put: these are the best lyrics that I could find in a song since the day I was born. And believe me: I hear plenty of music!

Black Gold - Once again, I love the lyrics and the way Dave sings. Strong meaning!

Cartoon - I can't get tired of listening to it! I'm addicted to this song!

Close - This is a common song for me and my girlfriend and we both listen to it many, many times!

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

swendo wrote:I just went to a wedding in TX, so I'll borrow from that theme:

Something old - "Stranger" (unplugged version w/harp - great to hear last Thurs; honorable mention "Broken Glass", which definitely would have gotten higher billing over "Stranger" in my younger days, when Time's Incinerator wasn't a "collector's item" but just another SA tape).

Something new - "Crazy Mixed-Up World" - this is the song I always enjoy listening to off of TSL when it comes up on party shuffle - typical Dave wordplay (which is to say fantastico), nice acousticy tune, (plus I remember seeing real jet-fighters streaking the air while this was on on my ear goggles).

Something borrowed - "Chains" I didn't even know this was a cover when I first got the album, and this, as is everything off of Clam Dip, is 100% awesome.

Something blue - "Barstool Blues" Could have also listed this in the above category, but it's such a great song and they do it so perfectly (and it's the only good SA tune I know of with any reference to blue. Dishonorable mention - Black and Blue - oy :) but you can't blame youth for being young and there are tons of bands who still sound exactly like that. Geez, I'm glad they advanced though). I remember reading in an interview somewhere Dave talking about his pick of this tune for the Bridge and how much he loves Zuma and it being such a straight-up rock album. I couldn't agree with him more. Also, when I watch Rust Never Sleeps, I can see how Mr. Young may have impressed upon a young Dave Pirner's rock presence, minus the shakey knee and hair spins. I know SA has covered "Lookin' for a Love" and GS has covered "Don't Cry No Tears". Plus, 70% of the bands on the Bridge are right in my wheelhouse - DJr., Victoria Williams, Flaming Lips, Pixies, Sonic Youth, et al.

And finally (the end of this post! :), my stuck-on-a-deserted-island-Soul Asylum song = "Sometime to Return". I figure I've listened to this at least bimonthly (and that's a VERY conservative estimate) for the last 20 years, so 20 * 6 = 120 times (again, that number is low) and I still get fired up every time I hear that intro. Honorable mention - the next song on the album.

Great thread, great site, great band.
Hm. I think for something blue I woulda gone with Misery :-p
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more