Close Encounters of the SA Kind

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
CULater
Caged Rat

Close Encounters of the SA Kind

Post by CULater »

Anyone have any interesting stories to share about getting to meet the band?

Any funny conversations?

How many times have you met them?

If you've never met them...what do you think you'd want to ask or say if you had the opportunity?
Last edited by CULater on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

laurenalexander
Marionette

Re: Close Encounters of the SA Kind

Post by laurenalexander »

I had an encounter. The funniest was when I was in KC at Ribfest and I was up against the stage watching Los Lonely Boys when my husband poked me and said "wanna meet Dave Pirner?" and I turned to my right and he was standing like 5 feet away from me. So I put on my biggest dork smile, stared at him till he looked at me and when I got his attention I put my hand up to my face and waved like the idiot I am. Fortunately he waved back and I just froze, turned back to the stage and never saw him again that night.

I did redeem my integrity a month or so later when I had like a 5 minute converstation with Dave and Dan, who where both really nice, kind, and probably will never remember me at all but that's okay, I have the memory :D

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

When I saw them, I could have met Tommy if I'd known his name. I know that's very un-fanlike to not know one of the band member's names, but mind you this was 15-20 minutes before my complete obsession with SA started so... Anyway, Tommy was standing there next to the stage just hanging out, not talking to anyone, and I knew he was in the band, but I wasn't gonna yell, "Hey, you! The bass player!"

Oh well, maybe next time. I'm kinda glad I didn't get to meet them because I always address people I admire as Mr. [whatever his last name is] and I would have called Dave the wrong name! I thought his last name was pronounced peer-nur, but then I found out it's actually pur-nur.

Pur-ner... it sounds so wrong to me... I've been calling him peer-nur since I was 14.

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

I hear ya...I went many years saying "peer-ner" myself. Then again, everyone I ever heard said it the same way!
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

close encounters....

i met dave for the first time in the early 90's. we had a lengthy and more or less completely negative conversation about the music business, how lame the name of the band i was managing was, and how i should have known better than to "buy into the fiction" considering i managed bands. we talked about image vs. reality as well. it was interesting.

i literally ran into him again many years later in nyc, and had no idea it was him. he kind of fell out of a backstage door and careened into a bunch of people who were walking by on the sidewalk. later on someone else who'd been there mentioned it and as we were talking i realized it had been dave.

met him again in boston. he got out of a van while i was in line, and me being me i thought nothing of calling "hey dave, c'mere a minute." which he did, because he's nice that way.
he talked to me a little bit from the stage during that show, about my tshirt, as well.

and then of course i bumped into him the day before chazfest 2007 and had another somewhat lengthy conversation during which he discussed real estate prices, made paula program the number for united cab into her phone, sent his neighbor for the paper so he could help us plan our itinerary, got squicked out when i told him i was thinking about having sa song lyrics tattooed on me, we talked a little bit about pictures and cameras, and got his approval on our plans to go see kermit ruffins.

dave's very cool to talk to. smart people are fun.

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

Sheryl...After reading your post, I think I remember reading something you wrote about Chazfest in the past website. If I recall correctly, you had quite an impressive photo gallery from that event. That sounded like a good time. Have you been to another Chazfest since then?

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

sheryl where in your timeline of encounters does moving into his neighborhood (or him moving into yours?) happen? just curious.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

CULater wrote:Sheryl...After reading your post, I think I remember reading something you wrote about Chazfest in the past website. If I recall correctly, you had quite an impressive photo gallery from that event. That sounded like a good time. Have you been to another Chazfest since then?

i have. i worked the tshirt stand at this years chazfest.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

zany wrote:sheryl where in your timeline of encounters does moving into his neighborhood (or him moving into yours?) happen? just curious.
it doesnt.

since it has nothing whatsoever to do with soul asylum, it really has nothing to do with this conversation.

and for the sake of accuracy, we no longer live in the same neighborhood.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Oh man.... I composed one of my novels yesterday to add my own "close encounters of the SA kind" stories to this thread, but it seems to have somehow not gotten submitted properly ( I KNOW I clicked submit, so no clue how I lost it) and got lost into the internet void. I'll try to remember to type it up again next time I'm feeling mentally energetic in the next few days. I have mentioned in a few places that I suffer from severe long-term sleep deprivation, and it got a LOT worse since I stroked 3 yrs ago.

dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner