When the Grave Dancers Union kids are grown up

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

When the Grave Dancers Union kids are grown up

Post by Homesick »

I just found this on a Google news search: Blind Melon's Bee Girl Grows Up, Seeks Real Life
[...]

This comes on the heels of other news that the naked baby on Nirvana's "Nevermind" album cover is almost grown and looking to capitalize on the massive success he had as an infant.

Maybe these two alterna-kids should get together -- or better yet form a support group with other alterna-kids who were on alternative album covers. Hey! How about they hook up with those two little kids whose naked alterna-butts were shown on Soul Asylum's "Grave Dancer's Union" cover? Come to think of it, you wonder where those kids will wind up when they want to cash in on their few minutes of alterna-fame?
:lol:
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: When the Grave Dancers Union kids are grown up

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I know the Grave Dancers Union part was most likely a joke, but in reality those "kids" would probably be in their 40's today. The photo was actually taken in 1970 by photographer Jan Saudek, and was featured in the book Life, Death, and Other Such Trifles. The title of the photo is Fate Descends towards the River Leading Two Innocent Children.

You can see the photo (in its full view) and other work by Jan Saudek here.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

NJ Misery
Inmate

Post by NJ Misery »

Alternative? WTF?!

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Nothing escapes you, as usual. It's funny, because I had read that trivia entry numerous times on the GDU page and never really thought about it...
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Monolith Maniac wrote:The photo was actually taken in 1970 by photographer Jan Saudek, and was featured in the book Life, Death, and Other Such Trifles. The title of the photo is Fate Descends towards the River Leading Two Innocent Children.
I encountered the photo in my high school. I was reading this book about the Holocaust, written by a Czech doctor. I would tell you how nice that book is - but that's just off-topic. So anyway, in the end, he mentioned a fellow Czech and Holocaust victim, Jan Saudek. That's how I knew about the photo because I researched about him. Obviously, I failed to realize that this is the same photo that is in one of the CDs of my mom's music collection until I became a fan of Soul Asylum.

So, how come SA decided to use the photo? Is it by suggestion of Dan (who was starting to collect art at that time?), or by Columbia?
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Monolith Maniac wrote:I know the Grave Dancers Union part was most likely a joke, but in reality those "kids" would probably be in their 40's today. The photo was actually taken in 1970 by photographer Jan Saudek, and was featured in the book Life, Death, and Other Such Trifles. The title of the photo is Fate Descends towards the River Leading Two Innocent Children.

You can see the photo (in its full view) and other work by Jan Saudek here.
What a great title to the photo. Thanks for the info, Jim.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

lune ellise wrote:So, how come SA decided to use the photo? Is it by suggestion of Dan (who was starting to collect art at that time?), or by Columbia?
I believe it was Dave who wanted to use the photo. I remember hearing in some television interview (which one I don't recall) that Dave had been wanting to use that photo for an album cover for quite a while (I think since the release of Clam Dip & Other Delights).
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

BTW, look at Jan Saudek's diary entry in 1992: http://www.saudek.com/en/jan/zivotopis.html?s=3

... Thoughts?
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

lune ellise wrote:BTW, look at Jan Saudek's diary entry in 1992: http://www.saudek.com/en/jan/zivotopis.html?s=3

... Thoughts?

1992?? or 1991??...'91 caught me off guard.....
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

She kinda seems a little rude huh? Based on her strange diary enteries. little bit Sociopathic.