Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner On Touring and The NHL's Minnesota

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
irreverentsoul
Runaway

Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner On Touring and The NHL's Minnesota

Post by irreverentsoul »

There's a very nice picture of Dave in his Hockey Days...

https://www.sportskeeda.com/ice-hockey/ ... esota-wild

Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner On Touring and The NHL's Minnesota Wild
The acclaimed Minnesota singer/songwriter talks hockey and more with Sportskeeda.
Darren Paltrowitz

While Soul Asylum first made waves internationally with the multi-platinum 1992 album Grave Dancers Union -- which included the hits "Runaway Train," "Black Gold" and "Somebody To Shove" -- the roots of Soul Asylum go back to the early 1980s. Frontman Dave Pirner was initially the drummer of Soul Asylum, and the Minnesota-based group was originally mentioned in the same sentence as its Twin Cities peers The Replacements and Husker Du.

Grave Dancers Union was actually the band's third major label effort, and 1995's Let Your Dim Light Shine also sold over a million copies in the United States alone, thanks to the charting singles "Misery," "Just Like Anyone" and "Promises Broken."

Soul Asylum has continued to record and tour consistently over the years, and 2018 is yet another busy year for the group, which also includes guitarist Ryan Smith, bassist Winston Roye and former Prince drummer Michael Bland. Beyond the release of Live From Liberty Lunch, Soul Asylum will be hitting the road for the Rock & Roll Express Tour this summer with Collective Soul and Three Doors Down.

The quartet's last studio effort was 2016's Change Of Fortune, as co-produced by Pirner and band with long-time collaborator John Fields. I had the pleasure of doing Q&A with Pirner about his love for the NHL's Minnesota Wild and also what is coming up for Soul Asylum. More info on Pirner and crew can be found online at www.soulasylum.com.

Word has it that you are a big Minnesota Wild fan. When did you first get into hockey?

Dave Pirner: It started when I was a kid. JP Parise was a childhood hero of mine. My mom put me on the ice as soon as I could walk.

Were you a fan of the North Stars way back then? How did you transition into being a Wild fan?

Dave Pirner: My Dad took me to a ton of North Star games as a kid. I love Minnesota and I love the game.

Do you have a favorite player on the Wild?

Dave Pirner: The first time I saw Zach Parise skate I almost cried...I'm sure you heard he's suffering a fractured sternum. I hope he heals up soon.

How often do you go to Wild games?

Dave Pirner: Not nearly often enough.

Career-wise, what is coming up for you? I know you're hitting the road on an exciting triple-bill this summer...

Dave Pirner: We have a special release for Record Store Day, limited edition live recording from the legendary Austin, Texas venue Liberty Lunch, from a show we played just after Grave Dancers Union was released.

We'll also be on the Rock & Roll Express Tour this summer with Collective Soul and Three Doors Down. More music coming soon followed by more touring.

When not busy with music or hockey, how do you like to spend your free time?

Dave Pirner: With my son.

Finally, Dave, any last words for the kids?

Dave Pirner: There's no crying in hockey! Thanks, Darren.

EyeSeeYou
Caged Rat

Re: Soul Asylum's Dave Pirner On Touring and The NHL's Minne

Post by EyeSeeYou »

"More music coming soon followed by more touring." I specially liked that bit.