Odd associations

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: Odd associations

Post by sheryl »

Every single song on GDU makes me think of really loud lime green. Every single time I hear it I think of and envision that color. All of those songs also make me think of jellyfish, crazy men with guns, eating strawberries in a mini kitchen, coffee with jack daniels, pastrami with hot mustard, ticketmaster, uncle fingerfun and the phrase "Why is THIS where everyone comes to die?"

I get a lot of people, too, when it plays.

There is the one song that brings back an unpleasant association because of what DAVE was doing. Made to be broken makes me think of vomit. I don't listen to it much =P

Most of Hang Time makes me think of cars, and AA meetings.

"No Mans Land" makes me think of Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans in general. The very first time I heard it I thought of New Orleans.

And Jane's Addiction "Been caught stealing" makes me think of PeeWee Herman, because to me it's the sonic equivalent of a grown man making the faces of a four year old, in extreme closeup, and acting like an obnoxious ass.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

Listening to Cradle Chain makes me think of Secret Squirrel(I think that's his name) and exploding cars. I just got done taking my English midterm and after rereading "The Cask of Amontillado", I pictured Dave as Montresor with his hair like it was in the early nineties and a black mask with gold studs around the rim. He was wearing a long black cape and everything else was black, which made me think of Masquerade. I don't know who Fortunato was.

I Love Dim Light
Inmate

Post by I Love Dim Light »

The line " Your dim light shines from so far away " i address to "small" American bands. ( after reading some reviews on Internet.)
They may be counted for " nothing especial " in their Motherland, but if you live in a country where mainstream is quite different and don't have an opportunity to hear all this bunch of " related bands " this "average"music doesn't sound so average to you. You take it just the way it is, without all these comparisons or thinking about who they "stole"these hooks from.
Dave's howling on Caged Rat makes me think about werewolves. Rats don't usually howl, they say "peep, peep" so if a rat howls it's apparently not an ordinary rat and it's better to keep it caged.
sheryl wrote:
There is the one song that brings back an unpleasant association because of what DAVE was doing. Made to be broken makes me think of vomit.
On the stage? Poor Dave !

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I Love Dim Light wrote:The line " Your dim light shines from so far away " i address to "small" American bands. ( after reading some reviews on Internet.)
They may be counted for " nothing especial " in their Motherland, but if you live in a country where mainstream is quite different and don't have an opportunity to hear all this bunch of " related bands " this "average"music doesn't sound so average to you. You take it just the way it is, without all these comparisons or thinking about who they "stole"these hooks from.
Dave's howling on Caged Rat makes me think about werewolves. Rats don't usually howl, they say "peep, peep" so if a rat howls it's apparently not an ordinary rat and it's better to keep it caged.
sheryl wrote:
There is the one song that brings back an unpleasant association because of what DAVE was doing. Made to be broken makes me think of vomit.
On the stage? Poor Dave !
He didn't seem disturbed by it at all. Boys think vomit is funny. God knows why.

Not on the stage, apparently behind the amps or something. I missed it, thankfully, but I did unfortunately catch the little seminar he held about how to throw up discretely on stage so nobody knew that was what you were doing. There's a TECHNIQUE involved evidently.

He MIGHT have been kidding, but I don't think so.

That was right before he started begging the audience for a free place to sleep, which was when I walked out lol.

My first SA show and I had the following thoughs in rapid succession. "Wow, that's loud."
"Boy that's really loud."
"WTF is that racket they're making?"
"Dan said these guys were GOOD?? Is this a joke?"
"How to WHAT onstage? Oh my god. Ok he's gross."
"He's still gross."
"He's wicked gross."
"He wants to go home with someone? Hahaha! No."

Of course, now, looking back.....that was really a blown chance, wasn't it :)