sweet nostalgia

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

sweet nostalgia

Post by dells »

Jim enlightened me to the wonderful world of archived websites, and I came across an old "friend." one of the very first Soul Asylum fansites:

http://web.archive.org/web/199812031626 ... apage.html

She has a nice collection of articles and interviews, even a kind of bio written by Dave himself (would love to know how she got ahold of that!).

Here's a tiny snippet from an interveiw with Dave, to whet your appitite for the goodies archived there:

Dave: "I feel very lucky to have this connection with this person who's listening to every song over and over again and really taking it to heart."

If you used to visit Katie's page, enjoy the trip down memory lane. If her page was before your time, enjoy discovering the treasures contained therein.

If Katie happens to be a member here, thanks for your pioneering efforts in giving SA an early online presence, Katie

dells

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: sweet nostalgia

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I was in the middle of typing out the same thing Dells; you beat me to it. Glad to point out the old sites back to ya. :P

There is some great stuff there; definitely an interesting look down memory lane whether you're familar with the sites or not.

For those unfamilar with the Internet Archive (Wayback Machine), you can search any website (even if the site doesn't exist anymore) and it will provide you with a list of dates of when the page was snapshot and/or may have been updated. The files are stored in the site's database (and can date back as early as 1996). There are some limitations when using it; some of the images may not appear due to them being removed, and/or various links may not work (though they possibly work/ be accessed by using that URL for your wayback search). Most of the text on the websites should be retained.

Here is an example of the results you get when you enter the official Soul Asylum site for a search.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.soulasylum.com
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

dells wrote:Jim enlightened me to the wonderful world of archived websites, and I came across an old "friend." one of the very first Soul Asylum fansites:

http://web.archive.org/web/199812031626 ... apage.html
Rad! I'm reading the articles right now. I was over the top when an article put Pink Floyd and Soul Asylum together. SWEET! :mrgreen:
Last edited by lune ellise on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Wow, I totally remember that page. Funny how some fans just seem to have dropped off the face of the earth, lost interest, whatever. Cool articles in there, I didn't know Dave played hockey.

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

Yaz McBoo wrote:I didn't know Dave played hockey.
Really? I could give you shit about that oversight, but I'll pass on the temptation. You're a really good fan, so I can overlook a few holes in your SA knowledge :) and I suppose that tidbit is more Dave specific, rather than SA knowledge. It's just hard to believe that not everyone is as obcessed with all things Dave :D

dells

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Are you kidding? They're musicians. Musicians can't play hockey!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Homesick wrote:Are you kidding? They're musicians. Musicians can't play hockey!
:lol: :lol:
dells wrote:
Yaz McBoo wrote:Yaz McBoo wrote:
I didn't know Dave played hockey.
Really? I could give you shit about that oversight, but I'll pass on the temptation. You're a really good fan, so I can overlook a few holes in your SA knowledge :) and I suppose that tidbit is more Dave specific, rather than SA knowledge. It's just hard to believe that not everyone is as obcessed with all things Dave :D

dells
Don't feel bad, Rob. I didn't know Dave played hockey, either, and I think we all know how I feel about Dave. I really enjoyed "Of Ice and Men."

Sorry to disappoint you, dells. :( Somehow my earlier research missed this bit of info. Please forgive me. We'll speak more on this topic (Dave and hockey) in another venue. ;)

But my favorite article so far from this site is "Soul Asylum ascends to heaven."

And I love the cartoon of Dan and Dave in the asylum! :D
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I take some perverse pleasure in marking up text with HTML to put online. As suggested already by people on the forum, I think it would be really cool to have as much of this stuff as possible saved on this site for new fans to discover and old fans to enjoy in a slightly less retro look. ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

Since 2 huge fans have already reveiled that they were unaware of Dave's hocky experience, I think that kinda proves that the wealth of information that was available during the hight of GDU's popularity needs to be kept alive in an easily accessible location, before it disappears into the void. I hate to ask you guys to start a huge new site section right away, but could you guys at least collect and save those articles for possible addition to the site at some point in the future, so they're not lost forever when they reach their expiration date in the Wayback Machine's archives? I doubt if the Wayback Machine will keep files forever. I'm sure they set some sort of purge date for old material.

dells

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:But my favorite article so far from this site is "Soul Asylum ascends to heaven."

And I love the cartoon of Dan and Dave in the asylum! :D
I agree that ascends story is very creative and amusing, but I don't like to even think of how they got in that "courtroom"

I think that asylum cartoon might have been from a Rolling Stone article or snippet?

dells