T shirt design continued

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: T shirt design continued

Post by sheryl »

lune ellise wrote:
I agree! On to homemade shirts! And Sheryl, I do hope you really didn't throw your shirts away...
I threw away the faces and names shirt. I absolutely loved it, but two negative responses to it, albeit by the same person, kind of dampened my enthusiasm for it and I figured if I really had to I could always make another one.

I gave away all the rest before I moved to New Orleans.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: T shirt design continued

Post by sheryl »

triumph3434 wrote:cheryl, I cant find reference to this story on another thread. Will you repeat the story you are talking about? I gather that you got yelled at for wearing the shirt. Where? When? by whom?

It's posted in the peru thread. It's fairly simple. I wore a homemade Faces and Names shirt to a Soul Asylum concert in Boston the summer that TSL came out, and someone connected with the band, who shall remain nameless, criticized me, in a really smartass way, for putting Daves copyrighted artwork on a tshirt without getting his permission.
Dave himself walked by me half a dozen times at that show and never batted an eye over the shirt, so it's not like he was having a nosebleed over it or anything, somebody else was.

Several months later it got snarky at a Smog show, when the same person walked by me and there I was wearing the same shirt.
It wasn't pleasant at all. He walked by me, without stopping, and said "Get permission to use that art?" and , also without stopping I said "Got it on ebay!"

We sort of verbally flipped each other off. It could have been worse. I know myself and I could have said (desperately wanted to say) something very unfortunate.

this is the original thread: http://www.enterthesoulasylum.com/forum ... 3&start=10