New re-issue

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Morten
Lone Rider

New re-issue

Post by Morten »

I hadn't heard about this til tonight, but it seems "Hang Time" and "...And The Horse They Rode In On" have been re-issued along with a bonus 3rd disc featuring a live show. It's limited edition but still seems to be in stock.

Morten
Lone Rider

Post by Morten »

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

everywhere i've found it it's been way more pricey than i can deal with, especially for music i already have. if there were a few more extras on it....i know i went on amazon or something like, and listened to the "different" versions of some of the songs and they sounded the same to me. and i have so many boots that a live cd well....yeah.

i may still get it if i suddenly become solvent again =P

Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

Look it's a SA disc sporting a "Parental Advisory" sticker. Ha!

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

sheryl wrote:i know i went on amazon or something like, and listened to the "different" versions of some of the songs and they sounded the same to me.
I own a copy of the set, and I must say And the Horse they Rode In On and Hang Time do seem to sound a little better. Hearing it over your car radio or computer's speakers you probably won't really hear a difference, but if you transfer it onto your mp3 player with a high bitrate you'll most likely hear a difference when you have headphones on (or just play the CD in your player wearing headphones and you'll notice).

I had preordered a copy of the set especially for the great James at 16 (Heavy Medley) but they had removed it at the last minute (even the booklet still shows it listed); otherwise I probably would have held off on purchasing it as I did have a few songs that were on the live disc (though not as good quality).

If you're one thats been to one too many concerts in the past, you probably won't notice much of a sound difference in the set :wink: , but if you can get your hands on a copy pretty cheap I'd say it'd be worth it (even just for the live disc).

Jim

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

when they were first talking about it and were going to include "james at 16" i was going to get it, regardless of the price.i have the medley, but it was made from vinyl, it skips in two or three places and it's scratchy as hell. i was really happy at the thought of a good quality recording of it. then i read they left it off. WHY did they do that?! and well....i'll pick it up sometime later or ask for it for christmas or something. was there anything with it? pictures? were the liner notes entertaining or anything like that?

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

How about if I listen to the disc on my high end stereo in my living room and play it really loud, will I notice a difference? Hoping I didn't pay $100+ for speaker wire for nothing (not to mention my tube amps, and that price) :P

The only thing on this that interests me in the 3rd disc, as I don't need new copies of cd's I already have, especially if there isn't a real big noticable (audible) difference in the sound.
Monolith Maniac wrote: I own a copy of the set, and I must say And the Horse they Rode In On and Hang Time do seem to sound a little better. Hearing it over your car radio or computer's speakers you probably won't really hear a difference, but if you transfer it onto your mp3 player with a high bitrate you'll most likely hear a difference when you have headphones on (or just play the CD in your player wearing headphones and you'll notice).

dcjcycle
Stranger

Post by dcjcycle »

sheryl wrote:when they were first talking about it and were going to include "james at 16" i was going to get it, regardless of the price.i have the medley, but it was made from vinyl, it skips in two or three places and it's scratchy as hell. i was really happy at the thought of a good quality recording of it. then i read they left it off. WHY did they do that?!
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it had something to do with securing rights or paying royalties for every song in the medley. If the record company had to pay full songwriting royalties on all of those songs, it would eat into their profit (maybe they originally hoped to negotiate for less since the songs aren't complete?).

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

well that very could have been why. But this is already out on vinyl, so isn't the paying royalty part aleady happening?
dcjcycle wrote: I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it had something to do with securing rights or paying royalties for every song in the medley. If the record company had to pay full songwriting royalties on all of those songs, it would eat into their profit (maybe they originally hoped to negotiate for less since the songs aren't complete?).

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I still can't stomach paying $40 for that set. It's 2 albums I have and a bonus disc. So it's basically $40 for a bonus disc of live material. There are just too many other albums out there I want that are much cheaper. Personally I hate paying more than $10 a CD, but will pay up to $15 when it's a new album by a band I like.

This whole "reissue" thing seems half-assed at best. You really get the feeling that the label is just trying to extract whatever they can out of it, but I think they cut too many corners. Had they included some more rare stuff (such as James at 16, the horse promo tracks, etc), this would become a worthwhile collection. Even alternate versions or outtakes or something, remixes don't count when they're basically the same as the album version. Give me a reason to want to buy an album like this. Also... Price the album reasonably. This album is retailing for an insane price. Especially when you consider the fact that the recent reissue of the Travelling Willbury's two CD set came with a free bonus DVD, a couple extra songs per album (unreleased ones at that, not remixes), and only cost $25-$30.

Phil