New re-issue

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
User avatar
Monolith Maniac
The Judge
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Central Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by Monolith Maniac »

sheryl wrote:was there anything with it? pictures? were the liner notes entertaining or anything like that?
It had a few pictures, the one with the guys in the photo booth (which is actually part of the cover design, the circle on the cover is full of holes), a few live shots, and some promo pics (so nothing really new). The liner notes were interesting, but mostly it was a quick history (probably nothing really you already knew though).

The James at 16 medley was probably cut due to the licensing of the songs (as mentioned). There is definitely enough room on the disc to hold the 12 minute song, so it's not that they were too cheap to fork out a few extra cents for a longer CD (though I could see that being the reason if it was over 80 minutes).

Overall, if you have the 2 CD's and a lot of live material, it'd probably be best to hold off on it. If you're just getting into the band, it'd be a great start.

Jim

User avatar
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: New Orleans

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Monolith Maniac wrote: It had a few pictures, the one with the guys in the photo booth (which is actually part of the cover design, the circle on the cover is full of holes), a few live shots, and some promo pics (so nothing really new). The liner notes were interesting, but mostly it was a quick history (probably nothing really you already knew though).
And it came with a button! Don't forget the button!

User avatar
Monolith Maniac
The Judge
Posts: 991
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Central Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:And it came with a button! Don't forget the button!
Oh, how could have I forgotten that 1 1/4 inch button (which has actually been sitting on my desk right in front of me for the past month)! To most of the members its probably a $40 button that has similar characteristics to the album cover.

But if you've been hesitant on your purchase, there's your reason to go out any buy it (from the retailer) right now, while supplies last! :wink:

Jim

dcjcycle
Stranger
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Post by dcjcycle »

Wasn't the vinyl a promotional single, not an official release? And the re-issue is on a different label. Maybe promos are handled differently royalty-wise so it wasn't a problem. Maybe A&M didn't care (deeper pockets) whereas Hip-O Select has tighter margins. Maybe something else has changed in the 20 years in between.

Has anyone written to Hip-O Select to complain? Since they are small, you might get lucky and get an honest explanation (imagine that, an honest record company :lol: ).
norma023 wrote:well that very could have been why. But this is already out on vinyl, so isn't the paying royalty part aleady happening?
dcjcycle wrote: I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it had something to do with securing rights or paying royalties for every song in the medley. If the record company had to pay full songwriting royalties on all of those songs, it would eat into their profit (maybe they originally hoped to negotiate for less since the songs aren't complete?).

User avatar
philipgar
O'Jeezer
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Folsom, CA
Contact:

Post by philipgar »

dcjcycle wrote:Wasn't the vinyl a promotional single, not an official release? And the re-issue is on a different label. Maybe promos are handled differently royalty-wise so it wasn't a problem. Maybe A&M didn't care (deeper pockets) whereas Hip-O Select has tighter margins. Maybe something else has changed in the 20 years in between.

Has anyone written to Hip-O Select to complain? Since they are small, you might get lucky and get an honest explanation (imagine that, an honest record company :lol: ).
Actually, Hip-O Select is just a subsidiary of UMG records, which is the parent company of A&M records. The big record labels tend to do stuff like this all the time, just throwing things together trying to make a buck. I actually wonder if the band even realizes that this album was released. It's always strange how these sort of things work.

Anyhow, I imagine you'd have to search high and low to find an honest record company that's owned by the big 3. Personally the only major label that I think tends to do a good job is Lost Highway. But even they probably aren't that great. Of course, amongst the independent labels there are likely plenty of ones that could be honest.

Phil

User avatar
Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly
Posts: 425
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:49 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I've always been under the impression that live shows are handled differently than studio output and that royalties need not be paid? Otherwise I think Pearl Jam would have lost money on their touring bootlegs, especially with the 7-8 cover songs they did each show on the 2003 tour in particular. Probably has more to do second thoughts within the band and what they want people to hear these days.

-Rob
norma023 wrote:well that very could have been why. But this is already out on vinyl, so isn't the paying royalty part aleady happening?
dcjcycle wrote: I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it had something to do with securing rights or paying royalties for every song in the medley. If the record company had to pay full songwriting royalties on all of those songs, it would eat into their profit (maybe they originally hoped to negotiate for less since the songs aren't complete?).

B R I A N
Stranger
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:12 pm

Post by B R I A N »

true, but this would have been the first time that "James" would have been available commercially. wasn't the first go around on vinyl a radio/promo-only? i could be mistaken.

b

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:13 pm

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

The vinyl Standing in the Doorway single has James at 16 as the B-side.

I haven't actually played my copy since I don't own a record player. I just saw it in the record store and thought, "rare SA collectible item...must own."

User avatar
no1rockfan
O'Jeezer
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Contact:

Post by no1rockfan »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:The vinyl Standing in the Doorway single has James at 16 as the B-side.

I haven't actually played my copy since I don't own a record player. I just saw it in the record store and thought, "rare SA collectible item...must own."
I've got that too, if it's the 12" version. I love the big pics! Especially the ones of Dave with sticky notes on his head. :wink:

User avatar
blueharvest
O'Jeezer
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:37 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Post by blueharvest »

I've got the reissue as well. I posted a review with my thoughts back on the old o'jeez board here: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/oj ... sage/11694

As I mention at the bottom, I got 2 copies for the price of 1 (only 1 button though) and I've still got the extra one. Todd wrote back that he was interested in it and I'd definitely be up for a trade or sell if anyone has any interesting offers. Either reply here or e-mail me directly at j_blueharvest at yahoo dot ca
Also since some of you seem to have the James at 16 promo disc, how about one of you making a good digital copy instead of the crap skippy version that everyone has out there?
J

Post Reply