Future musical direction

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Re: Future musical direction

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Homesick wrote:As for me, I would actually be excited if they further developed the pop-inspired sound they have going in Be On My Side and Let's All Kill Each Other.
:cry:
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Hm. Well, I like Be On My Side and Let's All Kill Each Other, but I don't think I could take a whole album of that.

My favorite thing about how much their sound changes from album to album is that there's something to listen to for any time of day and any mood I'm in.

I don't really care what they do next because I'm sure I'll like it. Unless Dave goes completely off his nut and starts doing really strange things. One time me and my friends were playing the weirdest music we had, and I qued up "Tea" and said, "I now give you Dave Pirner singing hip-hop."

Yeah, I don't know where I'm going with this, but I really hope Directions makes the next album.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Unlike most other bands I really give Soul Asylum credit for exploring all types of music throughout their career, which I assume is really hard to do. Again, like many others mentioned I would like to see a different transition which could also include step backwards (into their GDU and Hang Time eras), or possibly to somewhere 15 years ago someplace far far different that nobody ever expected any material like this to be put out by Soul Asylum (although I'm sure some may already think that).

As for an album I would like to see a mixed bag of what they have done over the years, almost like the material that is on Horse, which I think contains all different types of material they played over the years. Songs reminiscent of Easy Street, We 3, and All The King's Friend's would be something I'd like to hear.

I would even enjoy hearing another Time's Incinerator type album (though mostly compiled of studio versions of the song; not live). An album like this would include many of the outtakes and songs that they played before The Silver Lining came out. Some of these songs would include Debris, What's the Use, and Cruel Intentions; even the out of the ordinary Uber Computer would be a perfect fit for an album like this. Also a Gone 'Til November cover would fit nicely.

Regardless, I definitely would like to hear Freak Accident and Directions make the next album, whatever it may be.
AlyssaJones wrote:Yeah, I don't know where I'm going with this, but I really hope Directions makes the next album.
Was the former part of what you wrote intended to be a clever tie-in to the song that you want to be on the next album? :)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

GraveDancer
Runaway

Post by GraveDancer »

It doesnt really matter to me. Im a fan of the noisy stuff like 99% , All The Kings Friends, Heavy Rotation, and Slowly Rising...

.but then again, I also enjoy the "dont bore us..get to the chorus" type of radio rock songs. A good song is a good song..A hook is a hook..So whatever.

How about some funk? Something Out of Nothing has an insane groove..I wouldnt mind the boys funkin' it up a little more...

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

lune ellise wrote:The band's evolution certainly appealed to me: from trashy funk-punk of Say What You Will, to power pop Silver Lining.
Hmm, not sure how exactly I would classify the songs on TSL, but not sure if I'd call them power pop exactly. I could see something like freak accident being somewhat reminiscent of power pop, but I generally don't think of any Soul Asylum stuff as power pop. For that, I tend to think of Big Star, The Hang Ups/Owls, Teenage fanclub, etc. Much more melodic sounding, and I don't think Dave's voice really does that power pop sound too well. Too gruff or something like that.

As for new material, I like the idea of including stuff like Directions and Freak Accident etc. Of course, I think they really shouldn't just have a one-size fits all album. A good mix of hard rock and soft and whatever else would work quite well. I hope some more Danny material makes it, as I always like his songs. Especially if he pulls in an alt-country esque song. I think a good mix really is what makes everything work well for the band. I just hope the songs are more complex than Let's All Kill Each Other.

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

AlyssaJones wrote:Hm. Well, I like Be On My Side and Let's All Kill Each Other, but I don't think I could take a whole album of that.
I agree that an entire album of Be On My Side would probably be too much, but I'm glad they released the song as an outtake; it wouldn't have fit with the rest of TSL but it's still a great tune.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

There are many directions in which they can go, and may follow one or some of the directions you'd like to see. Then again, they may surprise us all! I also would like to see Directions and Freak Accident make it on there. Regardless, I'm looking forward to whatever they do. :)

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

GraveDancer wrote:How about some funk? Something Out of Nothing has an insane groove..I wouldnt mind the boys funkin' it up a little more...
YES! to the boys funkin' it up.

And while we're wishing, BRING BACK THE SAX!

(The trumpet would be cool, too.)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

EFISH
Runaway

Post by EFISH »

"Freak Accident" has to be on there! Other than that, I love what someone said above (too lazy to backspace and look) about the mix of New World, 2nd half of CFAS and standing water. That would be great. Whatever direction they go, I'm sure it will be great. I've yet to be dissapointment by a Soul Asylum album.

p.s if anyone has the CFAS outtakes and would upload them, i would be forever in debt.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:
GraveDancer wrote:How about some funk? Something Out of Nothing has an insane groove..I wouldnt mind the boys funkin' it up a little more...
YES! to the boys funkin' it up.

And while we're wishing, BRING BACK THE SAX!

(The trumpet would be cool, too.)

Yes, bring back the sax!!!