Future musical direction

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

Re: Future musical direction

Post by Homesick »

Another thing I'd love to see on a future album is songs by the other guys in the band. We all know Dan can compose masterful songs and we received a taste of Sterling's style with Lies of Hate, but we still haven't seen anything that's explicitly composed by Tommy or Michael. I'd enjoy seeing what they can bring to the table in terms of songwriting.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

If we were to compile all of our requests so far into a single idea, it would probably look something like this:

Dan performing a funk version of Freak Accident with Dave backing him up on the saxophone.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Homesick wrote:If we were to compile all of our requests so far into a single idea, it would probably look something like this:

Dan performing a funk version of Freak Accident with Dave backing him up on the saxophone.
Throw in a dance number of Tommy and Michael to boot ROFL :lol:

Seriously though, I do wish there are more Dan material, and Dave should bring back the horns (sax, trumpet, harmonica)...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

All this talk of horns and tea got me thinking I haven't heard Faces and Names in ages. :-P Listening to it now. :D

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

ok i just had to revive this thread in light of the new-album-in-works announcement (yay!)
i don't think i really have any specific hopes or expectations, but i did have a dream last week (before i heard about the new album) in which the band went in a pretty different direction. however it's pretty clearly related to the concert i'd been to that evening as opposed to any psychic ability:

i'd seen joan baez that evening and her band included an upright bass. that night i dreamt i was at an SA concert and they sounded just like Joan's band (no vocals). then suddenly i was playing the bass and a stranger was playing piano trying to play one of the new SA songs and dan was glaring at me because i was messing it up (since i don't know how to play the upright -or any kind of - bass)

anyways to hear what i'm talking about: (skip to the middle) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J6rde8V8yE

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

sheryl wrote:
CrazyLittleWoman wrote:
GraveDancer wrote:How about some funk? Something Out of Nothing has an insane groove..I wouldnt mind the boys funkin' it up a little more...
YES! to the boys funkin' it up.

And while we're wishing, BRING BACK THE SAX!

(The trumpet would be cool, too.)

Yes, bring back the sax!!!
Given what Dave said in the Minneapolis Public Radio interview about playing the saxophone (10:22-10:40), we're probably out of luck in getting back the sax on the new album. :(
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)