Blender Magazine

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
clammers
Social Butterfly

Blender Magazine

Post by clammers »

Soul Asylum made it onto Blender's list of worst band names ever. They say Soul Asylum should be a Dr. Phil endorsed day spa, not a band name.
"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: Blender Magazine

Post by philipgar »

At least it's better than Loud Fast Rules.

Phil

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

This to me is just hilarious!! Seriously there are far worse names than Soul Asylum! I haven't seen this list but I would like to see who else made it and who they left off, that should of made it.

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Obviously the ppl that chose to include Soul Asylum in that list don't know, or get, Soul Asylum's music.

Soul Asylum's name fits them perfectly, as their music truly feeds one's soul and is definately a refuge for many of us fans, literally an asylum of safety when we need it.

dells

jasonC
Caged Rat

Post by jasonC »

I seriously hate Blender magazine, if you read it regularly you will find that their taste in music is absolute shit.

Atticusdog
Runaway

Post by Atticusdog »

love the name alway's have

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

philipgar wrote:At least it's better than Loud Fast Rules.
I think "Suttle (sic, Subtle) Thorns" was the worst name they have considered.

No way! I always find Soul Asylum's name as appealing as their music. It provides enough mystic to get to know the band better. It's also quite sensual if you ask me...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Ha, look who should talk; but I guess this is what you expect from a name like Blender Magazine... is that their next month's article: Worst Magazine Names?

Joe: Hey Bob; where you get all your music info from?
Bob: Oh, I get all my music info from The Blender; good stuff." :roll:

Anyways, here's the list (broken down into 8 categories with 4 bands in each one):

The Animal Kingdumb
Toad The Wet Sprocket
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Hootie & The Blowfish
Arctic Monkeys

Shock & Ugh
Rapeman
Goatwhore
AIDS Wolf
Prostitute Disfigurement

White Guys With Dreads/Ironic Bowling Shirts
Skankin' Pickle
Skabba The Hut
Cherry Poppin' Daddies
Bowling For Soup

Cry-Babies
Death Cab For Cutie
Cute Is What We Aim For
Soul Asylum
Blink 182

Forget The '90's
Barenaked Ladies
Deep Blue Something
Matchbox Twenty
Live

Say Wha?
Chumbawumba
Hoobastank
Archers Of Loaf
Kajagoogoo

Great At Writing Songs/Bad At Naming Bands
Metallica
The Beatles
Pearl Jam
A Tribe Called Quest

Nu-Tards
Limp Bizkit
Uncle Kracker
Puddle Of Mudd
Staind

The bands weren't ordered (#32-#1) besides in the categories mentioned, but according to the magazine the winner (or would it be the biggest loser in this case?) was Hoobastank if they had to choose one.

While I do agree with most of these (personally I don't think Pearl Jam is a bad name), I can definitely think of a lot worse. To me the list seems like it was almost compiled with bands that are commonly stereotyped based on their type of music (or something to that effect).

if I want to look at them being on the list as a positive note; at least they're not completely forgotten by others that :D Soul Asylum :D *had to be mentioned (if that makes sense).

*Emphasis not to show stupidity of the name on my part; I like saying it.

On a similar note regarding their name, does the name Soul Asylum roll off your tongue as almost one word; it does mine. Maybe its possibly from being how frequent I say it (maybe half a dozen times a days). :P
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Really, most of those bands have pretty horrible names, but the category SA was under, and the great at writing song/band at naming bands category really weren't that bad. I mean the Beatles didn't have a bad band name by any stretch in my opinion. No worse than the rolling stones or anyone else of their generation. some of the other categories (specifically the animal one and shock value one) had some really bad names, but I think that's expected.

For SA to be included, I'm kind of glad they're at least remembered, but the name really fits the music.

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I definitely think the name Soul Asylum fits their music from GDU and onward, but I for one think Loud Fast Rules would have been a better descriptor up until somewhere between Hang Time and Horse (when the loudness and fastness wasn't quite as important anymore). The old and new versions of Closer To the Stars illustrate the difference pretty well, I think: lots of loudness and fastness in the former, much more of a soul asylum in the latter.

Of course, by the release of Hang Time it would have been much too late to change the band's name, so I'm glad they thought ahead. ;)
Monolith Maniac wrote:On a similar note regarding their name, does the name Soul Asylum roll off your tongue as almost one word; it does mine. Maybe its possibly from being how frequent I say it (maybe half a dozen times a days). :P
I haven't thought about that, but I do know it's practically impossible to get other Swedes to understand the name without spelling it out: some think it's "Sole Asylum" (some kind of really comfy carpet?), others have thought it's "Soul of Sylum" (huh?). Don't even get me started on telling them what to write in the address bar to visit this website...
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com