1001 things to love about Soul Asylum

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

[quote="Homesick"]Thanks for those, guys!

You know, if we keep posting here, in a few months we could put together a compilation of all our "1001 things to love about Soul Asylum" and send it off to the band as a token of our appreciationâ€â€

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

And let's not forget the way Dave holds his hair back when he does the three finger pick thing on Close, and then his hair looks crazy the rest of the night. And then Danny turns his back to the audience and shakes his guitar at the amp to get the funky wavering sound. Ahh, I love these guys.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

no1rockfan wrote:OH YEAH! I am totally into giving back to bands and letting them know we appreciate them. We at The Polyphonic Spree Forum are really into this, and the band loves it as well. I think this is an excellent idea. :D
Glad to hear that you like the idea!

Well, then, if people are interested in this, all you have to do to help out is to simply keep posting stuff that you love about Soul Asylum.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

A few more things I just thought of:
  • I love how they so beautifully include something as rare as a piano solo in Success Is Not So Sweet only to follow it up with a brilliant guitar solo, making the song even more powerful.
  • I love how they can put a straight-out lullaby as the closing track of Grave Dancers Union and still make it fit perfectly with the rest of the record.
  • I love how the sheer ambience in the music and lyrics of Artificial Heart can literally give you chills because it's so eerie.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I have to agree with sarah in that the best part about Soul Asylum is the friendships I've made with other fans. Between meeting people on the boards, at shows, etc. There is a really special bond that exists between many of the fans and I definitely feel it. It's reached the point where, while I enjoy going to Soul Asylum shows, I enjoy going to see the other fans as much as I do to go see the band. The community rules! You guys are awesome.

But, what makes the community so special is the bond we have. And that was created from a love of Soul Asylum's music, and often of music in general. It's hard to define why I love Soul Asylum's music so much. I just relate to it, and I think we all do. Their songs have helped many of us cope with growing up, or growing old or whatever. It's the soundtrack to my life (our lives?) in many respects. I think that is what creates this special bond amongst the fans. The knowledge that someone else feels the same way, that someone else couldn't imagine life without hearing the band. It's a really strange feeling, but I think it's important to all of us.

Beyond that I know we could list a million things about the band we like. Personally I love the lyrics in so many songs. There are so many clever lines that get me every time. Beyond that there are the shows, the things they do on stage, the interaction between them. But most of all it's just the fun of it all. To see the guys having fun while playing on stage. They love what they're doing, and I love that about the band.

It's the musical growth as well. Through the years, they've grown up, as has their music, as have we. It definitely adds perspective. Defining what I like most is basically impossible, as it's just everything.

Phil

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I think I can narrow down the zillion and one things I love about this band into one basic idea.

For me, they are and always have been, exactly what their name says. Soul Asylum. They're the music I turn to when I'm trying to figure something out and get stuck. For some reason their lyrics always seem to point me to the solution I'm looking for. They're my inspiration. My motivation. The soundtrack to most of my life. Their music has been prominent during the most influential times of my life. Their singer once spent an evening in 1993 talking to me, and the conversation we had directly influenced the course of my career. In effect, he convinced me to stop managing bands, though I'm sure that wasn't his intention, and that change of direction led me to whole new areas of creativity I never would have explored. And they are, and always have been, my comfort zone. When things are hard, their music makes them easier, when things are unendurable, their voices, their silly jokes, their uncanny way of suddenly being where they need to be when I need them to be there, makes it bearable. For more than half of my life they have indeed been my souls asylum. It's place of refuge, it's place to regroup.
Right around this time last year I went through what is, to date, the most trying and difficult experience of my life. They released "Silver Lining" right about that time, after all those years of silence. I met people on o'jeez and started trading music and dvds and I needed that distraction and that interaction. I saw the band three times and all three times were at serious low points, and each time it helped to bring me back up and let me breathe. They give me joy, they give me things to think about, and they get me through. Soul Asylum indeed.

Daren
Stranger

Post by Daren »

i love the way i can put in any cd and relate to any song on it in some odd way. they are the only band that never take themselves too seriously yet still have sheer perfection in song writing. i'm glad i found more fans out there that know more than "runaway train"!!

issues-in-eminor
Brand New Shine

Let Your Dim Light Shine

Post by issues-in-eminor »

1. Let Your Dim Light Shine - One of my all time favorite albums from anyone. Every single song is awesome. A perfect example of why people who need therapy should write more music! :)

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: Let Your Dim Light Shine

Post by sheryl »

issues-in-eminor wrote:1. Let Your Dim Light Shine - One of my all time favorite albums from anyone. Every single song is awesome. A perfect example of why people who need therapy should write more music! :)
i just about drowned on my coffee on that last remark there :wink: