To Sir, With Love Missing Lyrics

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
lune ellise
Social Butterfly

To Sir, With Love Missing Lyrics

Post by lune ellise »

http://www.imeem.com/people/bPUjocJ/mus ... unplugged/

Here's Soul Asylum's Unplugged version of To Sir, With Love. This 1993 performance featured the band with Lulu (the artist who originally sang the song).

There is this "third part" of the song that wasn't sung before, and no lyrics available anywhere. It's the part right after Dave's: from "Those awkward years" sang by Lulu with it's chorus "If you wanted the world" sang in duet.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

zany
Social Butterfly

Re: To Sir, With Love Missing Lyrics

Post by zany »

this verse? were you looking for lyrics or just pointing it out? i'm not sure about the one-day lyric, it also sounds like "wanna date" to me :)
but i used to listen to that version a lot back in the day. was fun to give it a listen to again, i don't play it much lately.

those awkward years
are hurried by why do they fly
why is it so
that children grow up to be people (one day?)
takes the place of climbing trees
and dirty knees in the world outside
what is there for you i can buy.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

You definitely got me curious about this issue, as those lyrics don't turn up in most lyric searches I've done. The lines do go along great with the song though.

Phil

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Most of the cover songs (Jukebox Hero, Move Over) I added for the discography were copy and pasted them from lyric sites and change them up to match SA's version, opposed to transcribing them individually (which I did for all the original SA songs). I double and triple checked the various lyrics sites to see if the lyrics were all the same, which they were (though the majority of those are lyric sites are copy/pasted from one another).

I assume most covers (as well as some SA's) omit the last verse and slightly different chorus which might be why most searches come up without these lyrics.

Whatever the case may be, I updated the lyrics page for all the lyrics; thanks Lune. ;)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

First of all - WELCOME BACK JIM! I hope you didn't get too overstressed with your work. :mrgreen:
Monolith Maniac wrote:Whatever the case may be, I updated the lyrics page for all the lyrics; thanks Lune.
So did you listen to the song and transcribed them, or was there another lyrics site that offered the whole lyrics?

I think there are two versions of this song: the original one and a shortened one, both sang by Lulu for the movie? Am I right about this?
philipgar wrote:You definitely got me curious about this issue, as those lyrics don't turn up in most lyric searches I've done.
LOL, don't thank me Phil. If you've read that post I had in Facebook, it was my friend who actually made me realize of the missing lyrics - without him knowing it. And, given the song we are discussing, you would also find a very curious coincidence about him (I just made the connection now ROFL)...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

lune ellise wrote:First of all - WELCOME BACK JIM! I hope you didn't get too overstressed with your work. :mrgreen:
Thanks, I had the week off from work though; kept myself busy with other types of "work" which was nice for a change. I would have came on here during the past week but had no access to the Internet, not even dial up. :(
lune ellise wrote:So did you listen to the song and transcribed them, or was there another lyrics site that offered the whole lyrics?
I listened to the whole Unplugged version last night to see if they matched up with a few lyric sites that included these additional lyrics; they were the same except for a couple words which seemed to be minor errors since they were performing live, which all live versions usually have. I copy and pasted the posted lyrics since they were close enough to the Unplugged version since I assume that's the way the song was originally sung. If there was a SA studio version of To Sir, With Love I would change it to reflect SA's version though.

As for the SA songs I did the opposite; a lot of those lyric sites were completely wrong or missing on a lot of the lyrics (which is why I transcribed them). If there were a few parts that I couldn't understand at all, then I would resort to looking at those sites for additional help (but most of those came up with "?!?!?" or were just left blank). I didn't want to leave anything out so I used my best judgment to what they were.
lune ellise wrote:I think there are two versions of this song: the original one and a shortened one, both sang by Lulu for the movie? Am I right about this?
Probably; almost all movies do this, except for maybe the credits. It may not be the case for this movie since it shares the same title name though (I've never seen the movie). Maybe they did shorten it not to bore some of viewers and still cater to everyone nicely without getting too carried away.
philipgar wrote:You definitely got me curious about this issue, as those lyrics don't turn up in most lyric searches I've done.
I bet the posted lyrics on most of those lyric sites omit the last verse because the song was released as a single on a 78rpm record. Those records held 3 minutes of music (per side) and the song had to be shortened to make best use of that time (the single version is 2:50; the long one being around 3:30).

The single was the way the majority of the public knew the song unless they bought the LP since the single was usually the way it was also played on the radio (just like Stand Up and Be Strong and I Will Still Be Laughing had their shorter single/radio versions).

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

hmmm not to make things more complicated.. but the version SA did without lulu on the Prom CD does not have that last verse in it.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

zany wrote:hmmm not to make things more complicated.. but the version SA did without lulu on the Prom CD does not have that last verse in it.
Yeah I thought about that, but as I mentioned in my post above if there was a studio version (not a live version), I'd would've wrote it out the way SA did the studio one. Since SA sung it numerous times live differently, even all the way through I thought it would be best to include the whole version (even though the one on the Prom CD and Welcome to the Minority doesn't include it). I made a note yesterday on the lyric page that it is often omitted though.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

ah i missed the 'studio' version part of what you said jim :)
sounds like the note will satisfy any nit-picker on the lyrics page