Similar songs

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

Similar songs

Post by Homesick »

Looking at Soul Asylum's discography in its entirety, it's clear to me that their style has changed immensely over the years, and that they have taken inspiration from many musical directions over the years. In fact, some songs are so similar to the works of other artists that you can't help but see them as tributes, or at least nods.

Here's a list of SA songs that I feel are very similar to songs by other artists. Feel free to post your own, preferably along with links to the non-SA songs!

Something Out of Nothing ≈ Whole Lotta Love
If you ask me, Something Out of Nothing is incredibly similar in tone, style, lyrics, and even vocals to Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love. Something Out of Nothing has some structure to it, though, while Whole Lotta Love feels more like a jam session and never seems to "amount" to any anything, so I prefer the former.

Brand New Shine ≈ Crazy Little Thing Called Love
When I first heard Brand New Shine, I couldn't help but compare it to Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen. :lol:

Feel the Need (on Faces & Names) ≈ Marvin Gaye
This might be a no-brainer, but Feel the Need flows just like Marvin Gaye's more "sensual" stuff, such as Sexual Healing and Let's Get It On.

Promises Broken ≈ Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
This may not be as striking as the other similarities, but I think Promises Broken gives off the same mood as U2's Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of.

Ode ≈ Paradise City
Listen to Guns 'n Roses' Paradise City at 1:21 and tell me that doesn't sound exactly like the intro to Ode! It's worth noting that it was released less than a year before Hang Time.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: Similar songs

Post by sheryl »

There's a Soul Asylum song....I'm not 100% sure which one right now, I think it's "I Did My Best", with a melody that's seriously seriously similar to Bruce Springsteens "The River".

I remember noticing it only when I heard it playing in the background and mistook it for the Springsteen song and started to sing the wrong lyrics. They fit really well for a while :)

I'm pretty sure it's I Did My Best.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

See You LaterFriday I'm In Love - The Cure

Both songs seem to start out the same way; with a few chords being played before it really breaks into song. They beat of both songs is very similar too, at least until the choruses. Almost everytime I hear The Cure's song come on the radio I start to think that See You Later is getting some airplay; unfortunately that's not the case.

I know theres a few others too that I think of being very similar, but those will probably come to my mind sometime during the week.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Much Too Easy ≈ Glorious
I think Dave's voice in Much Too Easy bears a striking resemblance to that of Swedish musician Andreas Johnson (whose song Glorious even had some success abroad, I believe). The funny thing is it's just in this particular song; I can't really describe it, but it's something Dave does with his voice and his pronunciation that I haven't heard him do anywhere else.

Whatcha think?

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Homesick
Something Out of Nothing ≈ Whole Lotta Love
I am going to check this out and report back.
But; if it is similar, there is no shame in sounding like the greatest band ever. (Sorry, not referring to Soul Asylum here. :shock: :shock: )
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Sometime to Return wrote:I am going to check this out and report back.
But; if it is similar, there is no shame in sounding like the greatest band ever.
I look forward to reading your report. In the meantime, here's another one:

Closer To the Stars (live acoustic) ≈ Slow Cheetah by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Although the melodies are actually fairly similar, the similarities I'm primarily thinking of here are in theme and lyrics more than anything. Both songs depict something that seems impossible: a caterpillar that can fly and a cheetah that is slow, respectively. Moreover, they both include a girl who somehow loses herself in a fashion magazine. Just look at these lyrics and tell me they aren't similar:

Closer To the Stars
Hooked on glossy pictures and drugs I've never seen
Treat you with advice from a fashion magazine
One day she just walked into that magazine
I wonder if she'll ever come back

They all said she would crack
They said her mind was one-track
They say she took it too far

Slow Cheetah
I know a girl, she worked in a store
She knew not what her life was for
She barely knew her name

They tried to tell her she would never be
As happy as the girl in the magazine
She bought it with her pay

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Black GoldMama I'm Coming Home by Ozzy Osbourne.

I heard Ozzy's song on the radio yesterday and thought how could I forget not to mention this comparison. Every time I hear Ozzy's song starting, my mind thinks it's Black Gold.

On a somewhat related note, Weird Al composed an original song called The Night Santa Went Crazy. Though it isn't a parody of any song, many of his fan's think it borrows the music from Black Gold, Mama I'm Coming Home, and I Believe in Father Christmas.

The Night Santa Went Crazy also appears on Weird Al's album Bad Hair Day. This is the same album that Weird Al's parody of Misery, Syndicated Incorporated can be found.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I think "The Night Santa Went Crazy" sounds like "Black Gold."

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i posted this in another thread but didn't get any comments...and now this topic is perfect for it:
zany wrote:ok sorry to backtrack to the Black Star discussion but it took me some time yesterday to remember which crosby stills and nash song that black star TOTALLY reminds me of - but i figured it out: Helpless (which is actually a neil young song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx4pU7OKPj8

anybody know that song as well and agree (or think i'm nuts)???

it's mostly 2 parts that remind me of it but they are VERY similar (to me)- one is the first line. both start with "there is a ..." and both sound sorta the same in that first line like i expect dave to bust out with "there is a town in north ontario"
also, the 'blaaack staaar' over and over is like the "helpless" over and over for a chorus. it's not the same note or anything but it really reminds me of it anyways.

(oh and there's no 'black star' in helpless but there IS a 'yellow moon')

mad_soul
Inmate

Post by mad_soul »

Forever and a Day ≈ Poison Heart (The Ramones)

I don't know what it is, but something sounds very similar to me ;)