This is why I hate Detroit

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Re: This is why I hate Detroit

Post by triumph3434 »

Im guessing it was a trendy thing. Like mybee the Rockers would always have or carry their Sneakers. And the person who wrote the comment hated the trendy thing? What do yall think. Was it at one point a fasion accessory to carry sneakers?

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

am i mistaken in assuming it was written by one of the bandmembers? why would anybody else write on it, if some guy got it autographed for his brother jeff (which explains 'jeff for mayor' i think) according to the blurb about it on the website:

"My brother interviewed Soul Asylum for Spin in the '90's right before Gravedancer's Union blew them up. Jim asked me for back story on them since he knew I loved them since I saw them at CBGB's in 1987. I told him I would love a memento from his interview... and he produced this."

anyways, i guess it could still be them making fun of themselves so that could still make sense.

anyways thanks for all the theories :)

matrok
Runaway

Post by matrok »

sheryl wrote:I have no idea why dave's sneakers seem to be the reason to hate detroit.

I do understand hating detroit, however.

I hate detroit. I hate, detest, loath and fear detroit.

I went on an urbex/photography trip to detroit right before I moved to New Orleans....y'know..the murder capital of the world?

My first night in detroit we went to the old packard plant..with a bunch of people who pretty much spend their lives there...and all was well, a good time was had by all..until the gunshots started and the bulletts started to ricochet off the INSIDE of the building. We beat it out of there and were chased up the street by sniper fire, eventually hid in the basement of another old abandoned building and then hid there in fear while we listened to people poke around the debris, assuming that they were the shooters. Imagine our relief and humiliation when it turned out that we were hiding from our friends =P

But yeah....being chased by a rain of bullets as you run down the street is not something to cause the heart to grow fond.
I hate detroit.
<OT rant>That's ridiculous.

Every big city(and even some not so big ones) have areas that are not exactly friendly. I'm really tired of hearing this kind of junk. This is just like a thread on another forum I frequent where a suburban kid went downtown to "photo document" the decay of Detroit, and had a bad experience. You were somewhere you should not have been.

I grew up in Detroit and now live in one of the neighboring suburbs, go downtown to gig and see shows and such all the time. I know where to go and where not to.

</rant>

I'm sure it was written by one of the band members, but when I met them after the Vegas show last year none of them expressed any hatred of the city.
Just an old rock and roll bass player

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

sorry i stirred up some hate with my photo-question! i had just assumed 'hate' was meant in a nonserious way like... sports team rival hate or something. anyways... maybe if i'd named the thread something else it wouldn't have triggered city-bashing that it did - whoops!

p.s. i've never been to detroit and have no opinion of it one way or the other!

matrok
Runaway

Post by matrok »

Your thread had a legitimate question, I too would like to know the reason behind the comment. Not your fault it turned the way it did.
Just an old rock and roll bass player

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

I figured that it was probably Dave himself that wrote that blurb on the pic at the time he signed it. I simply can't think of any reason why anyone else would write that on it (I'm sure the photo's owner wouldn't be letting anyone write on such an awesome autographed momento, so it's my opinion that it had to be one of the band members at the time of the signing, and it makes sense that Dave would be the most likely to comment on his own portion of the pic.

Now on to my theory of why he might have said that... (pure speculation) Once upon a time Dave had to pause a show to change back into his Converse All-Stars because he'd stumbled or fell onstage while trying to rock out in unfamiliar footwear. Now, I remember reading that in someone's show report, somewhere, but have no clue when and where that happened. My theory regarding the comment is that perhaps that happened at a show in Detroit? Perhaps that pic was taken just before or after that show, and he wrote that because he was wearing the non-rockable footwear in the pic, instead of his beloved All-Stars, which are shown hanging from his bag instead of on his feet?

Guess I should have gotten around to posting my theory before the two recent shows. Somebody could have printed the pic and asked Dave about it. Coulda been the start of a cool Dave story for sombody to hear first-hand (IF he remembered signing that pic)

dells