If you could only listen to three consecutive SA tracks...

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

If you could only listen to three consecutive SA tracks...

Post by Homesick »

Let's say some guy with a suit and a tie and a briefcase full of money comes up to you and says that if you agree to listen to only three Soul Asylum songs for the next ten years, you will get all the money in the briefcase (let's say millions and billions—it's a big briefcase).

You can't just choose three songs at will, however. No, that would be too easy, he says. Instead, you have to choose three consecutive tracks: that is, three songs that are next to each other when you consider their track numbers.

The man is feeling extra generous today, though, so he'll also let you choose songs from two different albums, as long as all of the tracks are consecutive.

For example, All the King's Friends, Somebody To Shove and Black Gold would be a valid choice, since All the King's Friends is the last track on Horse while Somebody To Shove is the first track on Grave Dancers Union, and Grave Dancers Union was the first album released after Horse.

(Yet another variation on the "favorite song" theme. Maybe I'm running out if ideas?)

I'll leave my answer a little later, after I've had the pleasure of seeing the rest of you agonize over it.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Re: If you could only listen to three consecutive SA tracks...

Post by sayeeda »

With that consideration in mind, being allowed to choose songs from two different albums, my three would be

Gullible's Travels
Sometime to Return
Cartoon

or Gullible's Travels
Black Gold
Runaway Train

or Gullible's Travels
Just Like Anyone
Tell Me When

though I could just as easily replace Gullible's Travels with One Way Conversation or Stand Up and Be Strong or Oxygen or Cradle Chain or Long Way Home or Veil of Tears or Never Really Been or...you get the point. :P

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

The guy in the suit isn't that generous; you misunderstood the part about different albums. You're only allowed to choose consecutive tracks, but he's generous in that the last track of an album is considered consecutive with the first track of the next album.

For example: Cradle Chain is the last track (#11) on Candy From A Stranger, so if you choose that one you're also allowed to choose tracks #1 and #2 on The Silver Lining, but not any other track on The Silver Lining, and no track on any other record for that matter.

Another way to look at it would be to put all of Soul Asylum's songs in a list, sorted first by release date and then by track number. You're allowed to choose three songs from this list that are next to each other.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Aha. Still...part of my list stands with one song added to the trio:

Sometime to Return, Cartoon, Beggars and Choosers.

I could also go with

Somebody to Shove, Black Gold, Runaway Train

or

All the Kings Friends, Somebody to Shove, Black Gold.

What about you...Jakob?

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Sometime to Return
Cartoon
Beggars and Choosers

or

Brand New Shine
Easy Street
Grounded

or

Hopes Up
Promises Broken
Bittersweetheart

(In reality, I wouldn't take the money, but that's not the point of the question :P )

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

This is a really tough one... I might just turn down the boatload of money, but if push came to shove... I think I'd have to go with the following three from horse:

Be On Your Way
We 3
All The Kings Friends

I really wanted we 3 in the choice (although it's not my favorite song, I like it more than Never Really Been's neighbors). But it's an extremely hard decision to make. There's also the one-two-three knockout punch on hangtime that is just irresistible. While none of these songs are my favorite of SA's, they all rank highly in my book, and I wouldn't be surprised to see these three topping the polls:

Sometime To Return
Cartoon
Beggars and Choosers

The other honorable mention choice comes from TSL with:

Success is not so sweet
The great exaggerator
Oxygen

In all, I found it a very difficult thing to choose which one was my "favorite". It really just doesn't seem fair, and probably doesn't help that I tend to think of live versions of the songs anyhow.

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

sayeeda wrote:What about you...Jakob?
I would say no to the money and simply grab the suitcase, punching the man in the gut if need be (he's probably one of Madoff's chums anyway). Barring that option, here's the trio I'd choose:

Whatcha Need
Standing Water
Success Is Not So Sweet

Pretty close to Phil's choices, only I'd shift it upwards from Success Is Not So Sweet instead of downwards.

Believe it or not, my second choice would be:

Blood Into Wine
Lies of Hate
Draggin' the Lake

I've always found those song "durable," you might say, even though they're kind of grim. It's also a unique selection because they're the only three songs (I assume) that showcase the writing of three different band members: Dave, Dan, and Sterling.

If you had asked me when I was a new fan, I'd choose the first three tracks of Grave Dancers Union without a doubt.

I agree with Phil in that Sometime To Return + Cartoon + Beggars and Choosers will probably be the most popular choice (if not the only choice) that recurs more than once. I've heard them described as a one-two-three punch at least once before, and for some reason it's a term I very much enjoy.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

OK i also came up with three different options and then chose one.

and yes i'd take the money because i figure i got enough of their other songs in my head nobody's stopping me from just singing them from memory and enjoying them that way :)

runners up:

Cradle chain
Stand Up and Be Strong
Lately

homesick
get on out
new world

winner:

Closer to the Stars
Never too soon (because it's there)
Miracle Mile

basically i figured in 10 years maybe i'd be able to focus and finally memorize those damn words to miracle mile so i can finally sing along w/out mumbling the whole thing mumble mumble mumble SMILE mumble mumble MIRACLE MILE... hah. that's what i sound like now when i sing along

kevaxe2k2
Marionette

Post by kevaxe2k2 »

Promises Broken
Bittersweet Heart
String of Pearls

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Endless Farewell
Standing in the Doorway
Marionette

or

Hopes Up
Promises Broken
Bittersweetheart

because it would be difficult to give up "Bittersweetheart" forever, but as Nicole says, I could always just sing it myself from memory. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)