Time's Incinerator - Take It To the Root

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
seventieslord
Stranger

Time's Incinerator - Take It To the Root

Post by seventieslord »

I'm confused. There is a song called "Take It To the Root" on "Time's Incinerator" and it sounds nothing like the version of TITTR that made it onto Clam Dip.

I thought maybe it was mistitled or something, but a search for the lyrics both on this site and the internet both turned up nothing.

One line that keeps turning up is "Don't fight my fights for me, I'll fight fights for no one else" This doesn't show up in any searches.

Is this truly an early version of this song that is nothing like the final product? Or possibly a different song altogether? Or a reused title?

Homesick
Warden

Re: Time's Incinerator - Take It To the Root

Post by Homesick »

Admittedly, our site's search function isn't the best at the moment, so depending on which search terms you used it might not have found it—unless you were using something like Google or Yahoo search. (Incidentally, and off-topic, I just started working today on a new version of our own search engine that makes use of a "real" search engine's index, which hopefully makes it work a lot better.)

Still, the only other mention of "the root" that I know of is in fact on Time's Incinerator, but in the song Swingin', which has almost no lyrics. The very last line, however, is "Get back you motherfuckers, I want y'all to take it to the root". Could that be what you were thinking about?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

no i know what he's talking about - at least on the version of time's incinerator i have (mp3s) the song labeled take it to the root sounds nothing at all like the one on clam dip.

but on the discography page, under albums, times incinerator one brings you to the same song

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I don't own Time's Incinerator myself (it's pretty hard to come by), but Jim will probably know.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Homesick wrote:
Still, the only other mention of "the root" that I know of is in fact on Time's Incinerator, but in the song Swingin', which has almost no lyrics. The very last line, however, is "Get back you motherfuckers, I want y'all to take it to the root". Could that be what you were thinking about?
I think that line indicates the change from Swingin' to Take it to the Root on Time's Incinerator. The TI credits call it a "jam mix". Perhaps the guys liked that line and used it for a title to the full length song on Clam Dip?

But yeah, they are different.

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

Jacob, Its not hard to come by, email me.

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Post by blueharvest »

Mystic spiral got it right. The Swingin' and Take it to the Root are in fact 2 different tracks on Time's incinerator and when you hear Dave yell out whatever it is he says (I always thought it sounded like "Take it to the root 3 times, motherfucker" but may be way wrong (haven't heard it in over 7 years)) is when the tracks change. I actually don't think that they are recorded at the same time/show, the band just edited them together like that on TI.
I disagree completely with the statement that they are completely different. There is definitely a point (near the end if I remember correctly) on the TI version that has the same chord pattern as the chorus of the Clam Dip version; a D and G if I'm not mistaken.
I'm just guessin' but I imagine that it may be something they used to screw around with live and eventually made it into a real song.
I really need to get a digital version of Time's Incinerator. It rocks so much! Anyone made a decent version that they'd be willing to spread around?

J

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

At any rate, if anybody wants to type up the lyrics for the Time's Incinerator version of Take It To the Root, I'd gladly put them up on its own page and make sure the link from Time's Incinerator points there instead.

seventieslord
Stranger

Post by seventieslord »

That would be nice. But, the lyrics are pretty much impossible to decipher apart from that one line.

I've never thought the two tracks sounded similar. If so, I guess this really is just an "early version" that sounds way different, and has different lyrics.