New Album Revealed: Über Computer (Happy April Fool's!)

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

New Album Revealed: Über Computer (Happy April Fool's!)

Post by Homesick »

We're thrilled today to announce that we know the title, tracklist and cover art of Soul Asylum's upcoming album: Über Computer.

This 12-track record will consist entirely of material that has been previously performed but never officially released—and now re-recorded into brand-new versions. Jim and I have been lucky enough to hear previews of a few of the tracks, and let me tell you: The ones we have heard represent as radical a change from their original versions as the famous Palais Royale performance of Closer To the Stars compared to the original studio version. Über Computer in particular (the song), apart from the lyrics, is almost unrecognizable.

The entire tracklist is available on the album's discography page, but for reference I'll reproduce it here using the back cover art:

As you can see, it includes a few tracks that are well-known to dedicated fans but also a couple of more obscure ones: Bald-Headed Granny in particular is completely unheard of for me.

As mentioned on the front page, there is still no release date set, but chances are it'll be announced pretty soon.

Obviously, this is major news for our website as well as all us fans. We'd love to hear your reaction on the concept, on the selected tracks, the cover art, and everything else about this new piece of Soul Asylum lore. I'll leave my own comments a bit later in the day, but feel free to start the discussion anytime!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

blueharvest
O'Jeezer

Re: Exclusive! New Album Revealed: Über Computer

Post by blueharvest »

haha

we wish...

J

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I can't wait : )

All jokes aside, I actually fell for it for a second... I totally forgot it's April fools' day

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

As awesome as a CD like this would be, You guys better 'fess up REAL DAMN QUICK if this is just another April Fool's Day joke.
IMO, if this is just another April 1st joke that you guys are so fond of, this one's too cruel and is a terrible abuse of your possition of sometimes actually having REAL exclusive information. Have you ever heard of "the boy who cried wolf"? I think you chose the wrong topic for your annual April Fool's joke. It's much too obvious for the long-time members who know of the April 1st jokes history, and simply too cruel for those who don't.

With the band recently having a more pronounced use of internet exposure, and even offering us exclusive stuff here on this very site, I'd really like to be able to immediately believe what I'm told here by the site webmasters, but when you guys pull shit like this, it totally ruins any faith I have in seeing such news announced on the site.

Pardon the language, but this April 1st joke really pissed me off. I can take a joke just fine, and the privious year's jokes weren't mean, and were harmless fun, but this one crossed the line into an abuse of your position.

On the extremely slim chance that the announcement is actually valid, or even semi valid with partial truths buried in the sham, I'm not even going to appologize for my rant, because with the site's practical joke history, you should know better than to announce real news on this day.

Della
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

dells wrote:As awesome as a CD like this would be.
I know you're probably joking, but if they really would release a B-side/outtake album with maybe one or two new songs as a ''new'' album, then I'd feel pretty ripped off... being a SA fan already requires a lot of patience in the last decade.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Dells: I don't agree that this sort of news is unsuitable for publishing on April Fool's Day, but I am willing to clearly label it as a joke in the headline so that it doesn't risk becoming an infected issue.

To clarify to everybody: This is, in fact, our April's Fool prank for this year. Happy April Fool's Day, everyone! ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

I hate to break it to you dells, but one of our two moderators, Jim, has not even been around the site much, let alone have time to play an April Fool's joke. You have noticed his absence, haven't you? And wouldn't you have noticed, just from your experience here at least that he's not the kind of person who'd pull a mean trick? Especially, after being so careful in making sure that you fans don't get screwed over by false information about shows? Jim's the only one who seems to have the upcoming information and most likely wouldn't want to release it without completely verifying it.

Jakob, I'm sure you had good intentions but you do realize that this is the official site. Other than some of us long-time ETSA fans, no one is going to realize this is an April Fools joke or that there is or ever was an April Fools joke tradition. New fans, or old ones who didn't know SA is still around, who check this site for news, are going to believe this joke and be mighty pissed off.

Having said that, the last two years' April Fools jokes were great and all in good fun! I was hoping for something along those lines, not something this controversial!

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: New Album Revealed: Über Computer (Happy April Fool's!)

Post by Closer »

Hm... I don't think it should be taken too seriously... it's just a joke, and not a bad one cause I for one fell for it for about a second until I realized it's the first of April.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

For what it's worth, Jakob, I thought it was hilarious. :lol: To be fair, though, I came looking specifically to see what this year's prank would be.

I was much more upset by Jim's SA beer commercial two years ago thinking it was real (he did awesome job making it). I totally bought it and couldn't believe our boys would sell out like that. :shock: And what a relief it was to learn that it was all just a joke! Well done.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:For what it's worth, Jakob, I thought it was hilarious. .
Yeah, not to offend anyone, but I don't really know what there is to get pissed off about... It's April Fools' day... I bought into it for a moment, and I'm not pissed off.