So when do you think that new album's comin' out?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Re: So when do you think that new album's comin' out?

Post by Sometime to Return »

I was told by a "little birdie" that Sping 2011 is being pretty optimistic; sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

. . . and where will you be, in two thousand twenty-three . . .

Phil

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

Sometime to Return wrote:I was told by a "little birdie" that Sping 2011 is being pretty optimistic; sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
that's fine with me - i probably won't have time to listen to music again until then anyways... !!!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Sometime to Return wrote:I was told by a "little birdie" that Sping 2011 is being pretty optimistic; sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
For real? That would suck... and the line "releasing a new record in 2010" on one of their official channels is pretty misleading then.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Are you serious? Who told you that?

Oh well, at least I have Tommy's new solo album to look forward to :(

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

http://www.gazette.net/stories/05262010 ... _32547.php
These days, the band carries on with new drummer Michael Bland and ex-Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson. Between gigs like Sunday's Hometown Holidays, most members retreat to Minneapolis. A new Soul Asylum album is in the works, but Pirner and Co. are taking their time. His current project is a studio in his adopted hometown of New Orleans.
Yep, looks like it's gonna be a long while before we can expect a new album. It's too bad, though, cause I'm craving some new SA tunes... it's been 4 years since the Silver Lining came out in a few months.

*Nostalgia for the days that they put out albums every other year*

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Closer wrote:http://www.gazette.net/stories/05262010 ... _32547.php
These days, the band carries on with new drummer Michael Bland and ex-Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson. Between gigs like Sunday's Hometown Holidays, most members retreat to Minneapolis. A new Soul Asylum album is in the works, but Pirner and Co. are taking their time. His current project is a studio in his adopted hometown of New Orleans.
Yep, looks like it's gonna be a long while before we can expect a new album. It's too bad, though, cause I'm craving some new SA tunes... it's been 4 years since the Silver Lining came out in a few months.

*Nostalgia for the days that they put out albums every other year*
Honestly, if it's only a year off, they really aren't taking that much time to release it by their own standards. I never believed their spring of 2010 quote, I figured that means one was in the works, or dave had written some songs, possibly recorded demos. There was no way one would have been ready in time, it's just now how the guys work anymore, and the soul asylum gig seems like a part time job to all of them at the moment.

Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I agree with that... but I think that they have been pretty consistent with releasing albums up until the last one... even between GDU and LYDLS there were only two years, and the same goes for LYDLS and CFAS. Two years in between albums isn't that long... that's pretty normal for bands nowadays with the touring and everything else... it's not like the 70's when bands released two albums a year. There were obviously a lot of different reasons for the 8 year gap between CFAS and the Silver Lining, so I guess that I got my hopes up when I heard the 'stories' of a new album in 2010 and that they were in the studio last year. I didn't think that it would be the same story as with the Silver Lining seeing as they have a steady drummer and so on... But I guess the band really is a part time job for them, and they probably don't have a record company looking over their shoulder telling them that time is money and making a deadline, so they're doing everything at their own pace... good for them, too bad for the fans. But I'm not complaining, at least there will be some new stuff coming out one day (hopefully), I just hope I'm not too old to rock by then...