So when do you think that new album's comin' out?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

So when do you think that new album's comin' out?

Post by AlyssaJones »

And do you think Dave is aware that some of us are slowly going insane?

I got my money on the second week of June. I dunno why, I can just feel it. I figure if it were coming out this month or next we'd know by now, and early June is technically still spring. Also my birthday is June 7th and I tend to have insanely good luck with anything regarding Soul Asylum, so I wouldn't be surprised if it came out that week.

What are your speculations, everybody?

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: So when do you think that new album's comin' out?

Post by philipgar »

after waiting for CFAS to be released, and then waiting for TSL to get released, I don't tend to have high hopes for a quick release date for the new album. I'm hoping they surprise me, but I'll live either way. If nothing else... before 2015.... I hope.

Phil

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i'm expecting the end of the year - that way if it's earlier i'll be pleasantly surprised :)

tied2thetracks
Marionette

Post by tied2thetracks »

May of 2012, after the last 2 thats pretty damn optimistic.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

tied2thetracks wrote:May of 2012, after the last 2 thats pretty damn optimistic.
sounds about right...

Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

February 23, 2012

No, I'm sure it's gonna be this year but I have no idea when... I think I read somewhere a little while ago something about a spring release but, as I said before on here, seeing that they were still in the studio a few weeks ago, I can't see that happening. It's different for every band but usually there are many months in between finishing an album in the studio and it actually being released... sometimes even up to 6 months. And also... I don't know if they have to 'look' for a record company first or what the deal is this time... if that's the case it will take up some time too probably.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Closer wrote:February 23, 2012

No, I'm sure it's gonna be this year but I have no idea when... I think I read somewhere a little while ago something about a spring release but, as I said before on here, seeing that they were still in the studio a few weeks ago, I can't see that happening. It's different for every band but usually there are many months in between finishing an album in the studio and it actually being released... sometimes even up to 6 months. And also... I don't know if they have to 'look' for a record company first or what the deal is this time... if that's the case it will take up some time too probably.
And, in SA's case, they have a history of taking years between going to the studio and actually releasing a new album. I think the first demos recorded for TSL were in '01 or '02... Not to get everyone's hopes down, but this is just the reality with SA. I am hoping for a new album, but I have been through this too many times before with them.

Phil

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

I think it's important to note that historically, Soul Asylum has ALWAYS played some of their new material at their live shows for quite some time (usually YEARS) before finally choosing what will make the final tracklist, making any desired improvements to them, and then releasing the CD.

The guys have said many times that playing the live shows is what they really love about their carreer, and I think it's important to them to try out the new material in the live shows, to see what works best there and what the crowds react best to, which is what makes lives shows great, (crowd participation and excitement.) IMO,They want to make certain that of all the new material they have to choose from, that they select the songs that they will enjoy playing live for a long time, not necessarily what will make a good single or result in high CD sales.

Having said that, I hope they get a bit better at recognizing when a crowd's quiet sense of awe while absorbing a new beautiful, softer song can be just as profound an expression of appreciation as when they are wildly energetic during a new rocking number. I know for a fact that I saw "Lucky One" done live at least twice, possibly 3x and loved it every time, yet it did not make it onto Candy (although it did later make it onto the bonus disc sold only in indie stores, thankfully).

Knowing this about Soul Asylum's habit of "test driving" their new material, I know better than to expect anything to be released until after something new has been played live several times first, so I'm hoping to get good news in the reviews & setlists posted after all the upcoming shows during the rest of this year.

Dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Maybe June is a bit too optimistic, but it's just that Dave said they were shooting for the spring time, and I don't know why he would have said that if they weren't honestly trying to have it out by then. I mean, he's been in the business for 30 years; I think he knows how long it takes to make an album. But on the other hand you guys all do make good points.

I dunno... it's not looking good for anytime within the next three months, but I'm sure it'll be out before the end of the year.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Well, I'm sure we can rule spring out now, hm? It would be cool if someone with the band could give us some insights.