2008 Dec. 19th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Re: Friday December 19th, 2008... 1st Avenue

Post by dells »

Sometime to Return wrote:Dells, Safe travels.

But it sounds like you need a back up plan juuuuusssttt in case. Check with a bus company (Greyhound)??).

Thanks for your concern and well wishes.

I'm afraid it's far too late to implement a backup plan for alternative travel plans, most due to insufficient fundage.

Bus isn't feasible (as an option for road conditions snaffu) because if the buses can still go, then we should be able to go by car. It would be an option if the problem would be my brother being unable to take the days off work to drive me, but I really don't have the funds to buy bus tickets for me and my son (he is the "concert buddy" part of my "entourage").

I really appreciate the fact that several ppl are hoping that I can make it to this show, but my odeyssy seems to have "hyjacked" this thread, and thread hyjacking seems to be a hot topic these days, so lets nip this in the bud here now and direct any more of that topic into private PMs. If I get there, I get there. If not, you will all hear me whining after the fact as I absorb all the reviews. I will try to keep my stressing out from landing here as a post again.

dells

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Hope you make it dells, I am planning on it but road conditions could effect me too. Any chance we could get a few Christmas songs out of them? How about a Blue Christmas... Blue Suede was awesome! I thnk Dave could do Elvis...

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

crawl wrote:Hope you make it dells, I am planning on it but road conditions could effect me too. Any chance we could get a few Christmas songs out of them? How about a Blue Christmas... Blue Suede was awesome! I thnk Dave could do Elvis...
Dave can definitely do Elvis, the old Elvis medly from '88 is proof of that. I think Dave also likes Little Drummer boy. I know they played that at a holiday show a long time ago. If you're lucky you may be able to get a one tin soldier as well.

Phil

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

crawl wrote: I thnk Dave could do Elvis...
Dave most definately does Elvis, and does him very well. He did Elvis' "In The Ghetto" at the Nashipallooza show at Nye's in late Sept, 2005. It was very nice. That Nye's show was SO SPECIAL on so many levels I'm glad the last show I was able to attend as an ablebodied independant individual was such a good one. the first 2/3 of the set was as Dave and the volunteers, and Dave did much of his solo work from Faces And Names. I treasure the experience of being present for Dave performing Teach Me To Breath, made even more special because his mom was there and this song honors her in a way (Breath is my fav solo work), and Faces And Names, which he seems to get a kick out of performing for a crowd, as he appears to enjoy gifting crowds with all of his quirky story songs. They are priceless. The drop-dead shocking moment came after Dan arrived. Minutes after Dan arrived nonchalantly onstage, they broke out into ARTIFICIAL HEART!!! I know my jaw dropped several inches at the opening chords, and I'm sure all the O'Jeezers around me had a similar reaction. It was such a shock and supreme honor to fully realize what a gift we were being given. My digital camera's card was full by then, sadly, but I doubt that I would have recorded it anyway, as I didn't want to distract myself from the experience for even seconds at a time to dink around with the camera to record it.
The other thing that made the show special was watching Eli run around in the space between the crowrd barrier and the stage. Dave interacted with Eli often and it was precious to observe him playing with his son. Dave's mom came over to me and asked if I'd seen Eli yet. She wanted to make sure I had seen her grandchild. :D so sweet. One other special moment was when Dave walked over to the right side of the stage, made deliberate eye contact with me to give me a smile and a wave hello. It's so nice to know that he truly does appreciate it when fans show up for so many showsthat he remembers them from show to show.

Ops, I'm sorry that I ended up putting a minor Nye's show review here in the thread about the 1st Ave one, but once the 1st Ave reviews start coming in, it will be kinda nice to have 2 shows handy in 1 thread to remenise about.

dells

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

How's you hear about a show at Nye's in 2005? That one completely missed my radar. :oops:

By the way; love the tangent. No need to apologize.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

obviously you weren't on the old Yahoo SA board were you......

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/oj ... ssage/8494

and

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/oj ... ssage/8541
Sometime to Return wrote:How's you hear about a show at Nye's in 2005? That one completely missed my radar. :oops:
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

dells wrote:
crawl wrote: The drop-dead shocking moment came after Dan arrived. Minutes after Dan arrived nonchalantly onstage, they broke out into ARTIFICIAL HEART!!! I know my jaw dropped several inches at the opening chords, and I'm sure all the O'Jeezers around me had a similar reaction.
We did, we did.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:
dells wrote:
crawl wrote: The drop-dead shocking moment came after Dan arrived. Minutes after Dan arrived nonchalantly onstage, they broke out into ARTIFICIAL HEART!!! I know my jaw dropped several inches at the opening chords, and I'm sure all the O'Jeezers around me had a similar reaction.
We did, we did.
That show rocked!!! I loved being there with you for artificial heart!!!

Phil

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

norma023
obviously you weren't on the old Yahoo SA board were you......
:lol: :lol:

Funny stuff; Todd. Just happy to find this one.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Ok, was never an ojeeze, is that still active... too late to join? Actually would not be on this one if not for a tip from Wendy. Would love to hear one tin soldier. As for MN... Never really been!