2010 Dec. 17th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Re: Dec 17 2010 Set List

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

What a great show! I was so thrilled with all the special stuff they threw into the set list.

Marionette was PERFECTION! I had hoped to hear it and they did an amazing job on it. It just sounded GREAT. I hope they keep it in the set for a while (or, you know, forever).

I was also thrilled that they finally played The Streets. i have been wanting to see that one live ever since I heard the Mankato recording. I know it didn't go as planned, but I'm so happy that they attempted it and hope they try it again. That song just rocks so much.

And I couldn't have asked for a better opening act than the Figgs. I just wish they could have played longer. I was especially happy to hear "I Won't Go to Miami." "The Trench" was a nice treat, too. Huge kudos to Pete, who did an awesome job playing back-to-back sets.

The only downside to the show was the crowd, which was definitely one of the worst I've experienced. Way too much drunken shoving and fighting and general obnoxiousness. But even that couldn't ruin such a special night. It was great to go to a show with Tim for the first time in ages, and wonderful to see so many friends and fellow fans.

A HUGE thank you to the guys for putting on such a great show and going the extra mile to make it so special. And Happy Holidays to all of you!

Judith
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

good show - yes!

The show had a lot of potential I thought, esp as the opener was Marionette (Artificial Heart was just the official video played on the big screen, or were they actually playing the song and no one could see them? Which would be odd), did have some highlights for sure, but um, not enough punk rock songs for me, sorry. Maybe it's just each year I keep expecting a repeat of that 2007 Holiday show, which was completely off the charts.

As always though, it's great to see old friends at these types of shows every year.
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

norma023 wrote:Artificial Heart was just the official video played on the big screen, or were they actually playing the song and no one could see them? Which would be odd
They played it. They had the video up as a tribute to Karl.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

They were playing Artifiical heart behind the curtain; coulda been to pay homeage to Karl or give Pete a chance to work into the set.

Playing Marionette and moving it to the top of the set list was AWESOME; Balckstar --Dave might actually visit this site. 8-)

http://www.enterthesoulasylum.com/forum ... f=2&t=1071

I hear you about the 2007 (that too is my favorite recent Christmas show) but I think they are kinda limited as to what what Pete can play. But; the 3 new songs, Artifical hear, Black Star and Marionette-- pretty good.

Overall; decent show. Tommy just adds something different; no offense to Pete. Still lots of energy.

Another highlight for me was Dave's version of Mercedes Benz; His voice is still powerful and it sounded great. For those of you not there; this was the first song on the encore-- just Dave singing the song.

Couple of nuggets...
Loved the clam dip picture on Michael's drum set.
Dave acknowledgeing this website.
A meet and greet that actually happened; it's always cool to have new friends-- thank you SA.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

I agree that the crowd was even more obnoxious than previous years! Things settled down a bit once they put some staff in the middle of it all, but it certainly took them long enough. :shock:

The 2007 Holiday Show still ranks as my favorite, too, but it was great to hear some of the new stuff! And anytime I can hear Black Star I'm a happy woman!

It was definitely fun meeting up with some of you at Glueks and The Depot before the show...Jamie, Sara, Phil (Great to finally meet you!) and Mike W (Thanks again for the dvd! Start working on the Mrs. about relocating to MPLS!) and all of you who travelled so far to see the show! Todd - Thanks for finding me after the show 8-) It was great talking to you!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Tracy
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Oh yeah, and I was a little suprised that they didn't play Good Morning, Good Morning from the Beatle Project Vol. 2 that just came out! Maybe First Ave wouldn't allow a goat on stage ;)

Also, very nice to hear Dave give a shout out to Jim for all the work he's done on the site! :D

Moto Geek
Inmate

Post by Moto Geek »

Here's a picture of the set list. I should have liberated it.

Seems I always miss these meet n' greets. Will one of ya PM me on here or on FB next time? Tracey - I think you and the gals were the only die-hards I recognized at the show!
"Standing in the sun with a popsicle - everything is possible!"

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Moto Geek wrote:Here's a picture of the set list. I should have liberated it.

Seems I always miss these meet n' greets. Will one of ya PM me on here or on FB next time? Tracey - I think you and the gals were the only die-hards I recognized at the show!
Aaron,

I almost missed the meet n greet myself, but Phil sent me a fb message! Send me a friend request and I'll let you know what I know next time!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/tracystreedbaines

tditz_gb
Marionette

Post by tditz_gb »

Killer show last night!!! The set list was near perfect and the band was on fire. Hearing Marionette made my weekend, and the Artificial Heart intro was a cool and interesting way to start the show. That was also my first time seeing them do Gravity, and it blew me away.

Were the Figgs the most awesome SA opener ever??? They definitely gained some new fans last night.

A couple of videos are on the way. :D
...One day dirt will bury you and you will understand, there is nothing much more than the ground on which you stand...

theswine
Runaway

Post by theswine »

Dave also did an impromptu version of Mercedes Benz, the old Janis Joplin song, as the group got ready to do it's encores.

Tremendous show, but I have to agree that the crowd was rude at times to the point of being obnoxious. Still wouldn't have missed the show for anything. And I loved the Figgs.