2010 Dec. 17th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Rebel Yell5
Runaway

Re: Dec 17 2010 Set List

Post by Rebel Yell5 »

That said I thought the crowd was awesome. Except for a few PIA's everyone around me seemed to be very great! And noone dumped a beer a me ;). I think I was stage left, (to the left of the band). So unless you are talking about me? or Scot? Hey we may resemble that remark !! I guess I was doing some hanging on to some folks, but it really was necessary. :roll: Seems like part way into it I look around and see something familiar in each and ever face. The ladies from Pink Mink (opening band, who I thought were very good!) where standing right next to us. Phil, Mike, Andrew, Tim, and a really nice couple Becky/Betsy? to my right., Michelle, Janice, and many more that I recongnize but don't know. Met some great people after the show. So nice to see the McHenry contingent. I think I have been reading about that beautiful lake...

I think the real crowd problem was that leprechaun in the green hat (with the pink dot). I think he was trying to start a fight. He nearly got us thrown out in THE STREETS. Or maybe that guy who could not speak English. Course my liver is in a pool right now so idk.

Hey were you handing out the dots in the front of the stage? You gave us some if that was you! Me and Traci were right in front there behind you. You said your name and i couldn't hear you!!!
You gave us glow sticks in McHenry too! We were in the same spots in the front by you at the New Lenox show too. Thanks for the dots. very cool.
Hey if you were hanging on people for help that's different! hahahah.

The guy leaning on me it was a hilarious sight to see. A few times he did because he was moving for the waiter and waitress to move by selling drinks which is totally understandable, but every other time he would be leaning on me I'd look and it would be like he thought I was the wall or something! Very strange. :shock:
I wanted to ask him if wanted me to sign his yearbook or something. :lol: Yet it is goofy things like this to make the show memorable. I was laughing during Runaway Train when some guy who liked my accountant was knocking people over in front of Pete's side of the stage. security removed him. He might of still been singing away as the security dragged him away.
Love to watch those things happen.
See You Later

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

philipgar
I wasn't positive if they were playing it
Dr. Phil 8-) - they were definately playing Artificial Heart; from where I was standing, I could see Pete playing. In fact; I think Dave had a the lyrics on a stand, after the song it looked like someone came out and grabbed the stand and then the curtain went up. ________________________________________________________
Miss Fitt 2
I think he actually learns material faster than Tommy

Why do you say this?
Miss Fitt 2
In fact, he's one of the people who has been encouraging the band to play a greater variety from their catalogue
Not sure how you know this; but definately good to hear he is willing to "challenge" Dave/ Dan/ Michael on this not just be content to "fill in."

Want to share a conversation yesterday wth my 5 year old son Carter; again, he's 5 and has been to a SA concert. We were in the kitchen; getting some lunch.
"dad how did sing Dave last night?
"good- he sounded good."
"What songs did SA play?"
"what do you think?"
"Sometbody to shove?"
"yup."
"Stand up and be strong?"
"yup."
"Blackgold?"
"yup."
"Runaway train?"
"yup."
"All is well?"
"yup."
"Keep it up?"
"nope."
screams "WHAT..THEY DIDN'T PLAY KEEP IT UP?".. pauses a couple of seconds.. shakes his head side to side .. then says softly "that's to
bad." :lol: :lol: -- I was laughing so hard; coffee want everywhere.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Jamie -That's too funny! Tell Carter I totally agree with him! ;)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Thanks Phil! Great videos!
I saw Dave do "I Did My Best" at the Volunteers show at Cabooze a couple of years ago, and thougth it was amazing then, and it was amazing on Friday as well. I'm so glad you captured it!

And I was so happy for you when they played "Black Star" because I knew you've been wanting to hear it.

I've been reliving the show in my mind -- and now that the videos are popping up, I'm reliving it on video -- and I can't stop thinking Wow!!!
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:Thanks Phil! Great videos!
I saw Dave do "I Did My Best" at the Volunteers show at Cabooze a couple of years ago, and thougth it was amazing then, and it was amazing on Friday as well. I'm so glad you captured it!

And I was so happy for you when they played "Black Star" because I knew you've been wanting to hear it.

I've been reliving the show in my mind -- and now that the videos are popping up, I'm reliving it on video -- and I can't stop thinking Wow!!!
i remember hearing the first few notes on black star and being like "oh my", tap tim to see if he was getting it, and had my camera out then. I missed the first few notes of it, but I think it worked out okay. so many great moments during the show!

Phil

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Thanks for the link! It was great now on my fb. I was just listening to Marrionette a couple weeks ago and played like 6 times (k part of me is still 12, even if that is hair), thought wonder why they never play this it is a great song.

Yes that was me with the dots. I am laughing so hard picturing my acccountant getting dragged off and "do you want me to sign your year book?" were you the obnoxious short girl behind Phil, if so good for you!

Sometime to return, love the five year old quote and I agree it is to bad they did not play Keep it up!

This site is the best, I love the chance to talk about the show after. Thanks Jim and Jakob, and Jakob, sorry you don't get pointed out in the crowd and thanked. When ARE you coming here?

Wish I could be at the new years show. would not take all that much to get me on a flight. After all I am now actually going to get paid. I have a job... and dots left over....

I smell the blood of a little bit of fun!!

glnurse
Lone Rider

Post by glnurse »

Hi folks,
It was great to meet a lot of people I have seen at other shows and never met. I met Andrew(?) form the UK from a previous show and the lady from Madison (I can't remember you're name, sorry) Thanks for helping my short girlfriend be safe. I loved the show, I saw a lot of songs I had never heard play live before and it was my first show at 1st. ave ever and my first SA christmas show, truely no better place to see them. I thought that the crowd to my left was a pain in the ass. There was a dorky bald guy in a white shirt who would get all mad when people having fun in a pit would bump into them and his GF would be pushing other people and when someone pushed her back he would freak out and yell "you don't push a girl", thanks to his liquid courage! I knew him and the UK guy got into it a few times. He was saying he had been there "since 7:30" which I thought was pretty funny as they got there after we did.
Have they always gone on that late? I think that was part of the crowd problem, it gave them that much longer to swill beer. I have seriously been to GA NIN shows that where less physical.
I really enjoyed the show, as always, and enjoyed a great majority of the people around me. I just can't believe people almost got into fisticuffs at a Soul Asylum show!!
Thanks folks and I hope to meet you again on these boards and at future SA shows.
Brian.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Oh and I did not know whether they were actually playing artificial heart at first or not, but they def. were. I think this was the best "orchestrated" christmas show I ever saw. From opening with AF and Marrionette right thru till the end. It is amazing what prior planning can do.

From the opening act thru the figgs, and man that Pete can play that long is pretty darn impressive. I wonder if he is soaking his fingers.

The dots where not as fun as the glow sticks, I was really looking for stars, but could not find them. And to everyone who peeled them off or said "what does this mean".... I giant rasberry! or "They are ornaments, I am decorating you for Christmas"

Crowd for me was better than last year too. But hey, I am working it ;)

Fee Fi Fo Fum....

pjr
Lone Rider

Post by pjr »

props to whoever created this site. so glad that I discovered it as I have enjoyed reliving the show through others' posts. if anyone has any inside knowledge, has the band ever considered turning the holiday show into a two night stand? they could mix in even more gems that way. don't get me wrong, I love misery, black gold, shove, cartoon, closer to the stars, etc... and totally understand y they play all of those songs at almost every show, but the highlights are always the rarities, and with two shows they could play more. how awesome would it be to hear standing in the doorway, the sun maid, and nowhere bound (golden smog song that Dave sings), etc...

will never miss the Xmas show again. amazing, and confirmed y the asylum is my fav band