2010 Dec. 4th - Simple Life Fest, Taipei, Taiwan (Dave solo)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: Taipei Show

Post by philipgar »

dells wrote: I expect musicians prefer to fly with their guitar as a carry-on, rather than risk checking it and hoping the airline doesn't lose it. But with the heightened security screenings, are guitars still allowed as carry-ons, since the guitar strings could be used as a weapon to garrott someone?
I'm pretty sure they are, I don't think they'd stop you from bringing a pack of guitar strings onto a plane. I'm not sure if a guitar would fit into an overhead bin though, so it might have to be checked. I'm sure other musicians on here know more than I do though. Basically, until a terrorist tries to kill someone with a guitar it will be allowed. it's really amusing how the security works. Liquids are outlawed because somehow a misguided attempt to create a bomb was attempting to use them, but laptop batteries, which can EASILY be made to explode are perfectly legal. It is just a matter of what's been used, and what's practical to ban without causing an uproar. Banning all portable electronics on a plane because batteries can be explosive just isn't practical, so they pretend it's not an issue. Banning liquids is stupid and does nothing, but the vendors in the airport love it, and travelers won't protest it too much, so they went ahead with it.

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Here's one musician's perspective on flying with guitars:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo[/youtube]
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Whenever I fly I make sure to review the prohibited items list and some of them are just so random, like cattle prods and harpoons. Who the hell flies with a harpoon??? I also heard that you can't fly with snow globes or jack-a-lopes in your carry on luggage because you can't measure the volume of liquid in a snow globe without a bucket of water or a complex geometric equation, and a jack-a-lopes' horns are considered sharp objects. (Again, I don't know who flies with a jack-a-lope in their carry on, but apparently one man tried it cuz I read it on some stories-of-the-TSA blog or something). :P

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

AlyssaJones wrote:Whenever I fly I make sure to review the prohibited items list and some of them are just so random, like cattle prods and harpoons. Who the hell flies with a harpoon??? I also heard that you can't fly with snow globes or jack-a-lopes in your carry on luggage because you can't measure the volume of liquid in a snow globe without a bucket of water or a complex geometric equation, and a jack-a-lopes' horns are considered sharp objects. (Again, I don't know who flies with a jack-a-lope in their carry on, but apparently one man tried it cuz I read it on some stories-of-the-TSA blog or something). :P
and yet I know plenty of people who have flown where they accidentally had 4 inch knives and other banned items in their baggage that wasn't found. It seems like the TSA's hit rate on catching knives and truly deadly items is relatively low, but they're damned good at catching people who have a screw driver or a water bottle in their baggage.

Phil

desirae
Inmate

Post by desirae »

Heres a link where they talk about Dave
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar ... 2003490215