2010 Dec. 4th - Simple Life Fest, Taipei, Taiwan (Dave solo)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Taipeifan
Lone Rider

Re: Taipei Show

Post by Taipeifan »

Homesick wrote:
Did people at the festival in general recognize Dave?
Yeah, a lot of people knew the songs. There were many there waiting in anticipation of him coming so I assume most knew him.

Monolith Maniac wrote:
I know a bunch of other bands were performing, but does anybody know if that's Dave's largest solo performance? There definitely had to be a hell of a lot of people there (at least judging by the size of that screen behind him in the video).
This was a big outdoor music/arts festival in a big park with several stages of acts going on, many simultaneously. Pirner was assigned the main stage and drew an enthusiastic and respectable sized crowd. It was mid-afternoon however and a lot of the general crowd had not arrived by then. Taiwanese generally don’t show up for stuff until at least early evening. If he was on later the crowd would have been even bigger. And definitely more for an electric show.

Desirae wrote:
…i cant believe no holy jeans, but he has the same shirt..lol
I believe it was an Aquaman shirt. Is this a trademark of his?

Again, great show and a real treat to have such a talent come to Taipei. I was fortunate to be about dead center in from of him just about 20 yards from him. I think that would be a hard spot to get at any of his other shows.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: Taipei Show???

Post by Closer »

Runaway Train with harmonica

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY5uCPpgr5c[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4by0mrVLNI[/youtube]

black manta
Marionette

Post by black manta »

Good to be in the bosom of technology. No videos from Dave's backyard (Gretna) in months but Taiwan gets it done before our day has finished.

Why was this billed as a Soul Asylum show? Since it was a Pirner solo act, why didn't he use his solo material, perhaps with one of the big SA hits thrown in for a bonus? This is as if John Cale had billed himself as the Velvet Underground; it's really bad form at best, and lending to dissolution and lawsuits at worst. Bands break up over this shit. They do.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I'm guessing that it either got lost in translation or the people booking the festival thought "Soul Asylum" would draw a bigger crowd than "Dave Pirner." Which name is more recognizable? I doubt that a Dave solo show would be billed as Soul Asylum in the US.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

When's the last time Get On Out was played?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iugx5LmEdHk[/youtube]

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Closer wrote:When's the last time Get On Out was played?
From what I got on record, it was on 4/26/08, which was another Dave solo show at One Eyed Jacks in New Orleans, LA.

With the band, I have 10/7/95, which was at The Rage Club in Vancouver, BC (but 15 years seems like an awful long time for that song).

Though it took a long time for them to play Easy Street again which they started playing at First Avenue 3 years ago. Prior to that it was November 6th, 1993.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

Nice write up for Dave and a few pictures.

http://www.taipeitimes.net/News/feat/pr ... 2003490215

ghettogold
Inmate

Post by ghettogold »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
Closer wrote:When's the last time Get On Out was played?
From what I got on record, it was on 4/26/08, which was another Dave solo show at One Eyed Jacks in New Orleans, LA.

With the band, I have 10/7/95, which was at The Rage Club in Vancouver, BC (but 15 years seems like an awful long time for that song).

Though it took a long time for them to play Easy Street again which they started playing at First Avenue 3 years ago. Prior to that it was November 6th, 1993.

wow, i hope they play this when i see them next, that and 99% would be a dream.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

LittleTooClean wrote:Nice write up for Dave and a few pictures.

http://www.taipeitimes.net/News/feat/pr ... 2003490215
Thanks for the link and pics.

The article was very favorable and appreciative of Dave's performance, but I don't agree with this one line in it: "Though die-hard fans might have missed the rest of the band"

Aue contrare... IMO die-hard fans are the first to really appreciate the rare and unique shows such as that one. Although I can totally understand some disappointment for the overseas fans who have never seen a full Soul Asylum show, and were looking forward to their first, I'm sure that after realizing the entire band wasn't there, that momentary, fleeting disappointment was immediately replaced with joy once they realized what a special show they were getting instead.

dells
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

Little thing I just thought of, while admiring Dave's beautiful black acoustic in those huge pics , that is only related to this topic because of the air travel required for Dave to get to the shows, and this particular show being so heavily dependent on that guitar getting to the gig with him.

I expect musicians prefer to fly with their guitar as a carry-on, rather than risk checking it and hoping the airline doesn't lose it. But with the heightened security screenings, are guitars still allowed as carry-ons, since the guitar strings could be used as a weapon to garrott someone?
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner