2011 April 29th - Viper Alley, Lincolnshire, IL Soul Asylum

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Re: 2011 April 29th - Viper Alley, Lincolnshire, IL Soul Asy

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Monolith Maniac wrote: A few other things that weren't mentioned yet was right before the show began Dave started doing some weird "chant" (he mentioned what it was; I don't remember though) and asked everyone in the audience to follow along to it a couple times. He also asked us to do it one other time during the set (or encore).
He was spoofing a Naked Raygun song by asking everyone to sing along to a song that was basically just a series of "oh... oh oh oh oh...oh oh oh oh's".

Naked Raygun was a band out of Chicago from the same mid-80s era as when SA got started.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:I don't think anyone mentioned that they also did Neil Diamond's "Song Sung Blue."
Just realized someone did mention it. I didn't see it in the set list and missed the other post. I thought it sounded pretty good!
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Rebel Yell5
Runaway

Post by Rebel Yell5 »

Great show. I like the changes to the song outros like Jim mentioned for Cartoon and Misery. Nice mix of songs.

Dave also imitated Ian Curtis of Joy Division singing the chorus from their song "Love Will Tear Us Apart". He was droning on singing it over and over while swaying in circles like Ian Curtis. It was pretty funny.
See You Later

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

What a great show!

I love the Marrionett for the opener, and am Always happy to have Did my Best. Particularly timely for me, had just "lost" on something that week that I was pretty down about. Everyone was in fine form! I actually got to hug Tommy (poor guy). Gravity really rocked. Seems like maybe there has been some practicing going on. They played streets in the sound check and that is really coming along too. We were happy to see the Boston cream pie in attendence. Even if it did turn green.

Hot Child in the City I could not figure out at first. But was an interesting change. I cannot believe noone has metioned getting mooned by Dave. It was way more than just a "crack". Wish the Sisterhood was there to see it! Great to see so many people made it. Venue was very different, but I think pretty cool. Lots of folks from all over, there was a couple from Texas. Love the medley's. Missed the Madison contingent. Really nice couple of young ladies by the stage near me.

Crowd was particularly awesome. I did not see any altercations. Still repeating the Lincoln joke. It was a beautiful day in "Chicago". Great pics and video looking to see more.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

crawl wrote:Missed the Madison contingent. Really nice couple of young ladies by the stage near me.
You must know how to try and convince me to come out of hiding for shows. Saddly the thesis is taking precedent right now, and the complete lack of funds (not to mention a car that i can rely on) doesn't help. I'm hoping to be done this summer, then the lack of funds problem should be solved (assuming I can land a good job, but I have some prospects lined up), but sadly the location might not be so convenient. I suppose I might have to follow a certain misfit's example to make up for that, although I doubt I can get to anywhere near THAT many shows...

Phil

rockinbrian
Inmate

Post by rockinbrian »

Like everyone else has posted IT WAS a GREAT SHOW! The venue was different but was pretty cool. Also liked that parking was no problem and free.

Met Promises Broken's husband at the show. A great guy. Well maybe not so great as he went to the show without his wife. :lol:

These Soul Asylum Shows are like family reunions for me. Great to spend a night with my wife, brother and sister-in-law. My sister-in-law is ready for the next show and she was the designated driver.

And to top it all off I got to meet the band for the first time (Thanks to my wife!) after more than 20 years of seeing them live. What a bunch of great guys. So for me, this will be a show that is hard to top.

20110430_20 by rockinbrian19, on Flickr

20110430_18 by rockinbrian19, on Flickr

20110430_10 (2) by rockinbrian19, on Flickr

20110430_11 by rockinbrian19, on Flickr

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

So is that a new t-shirt they are selling? The one that borrows from the First Avenue logo? Awesome, a serious upgrade over some of the other stuff they've been putting out lately.

rockinbrian
Inmate

Post by rockinbrian »

T-shirt was from the holiday show at 1st Ave. Backside lists all the dates they have played at 1st Ave. Definitly one of my fav. Wish I would of bought 2.

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

Classic :D !!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKWwsyB3Lnk[/youtube]