2011 April 29th - Viper Alley, Lincolnshire, IL Soul Asylum

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: Mic Check. Who's in for Viper Alley

Post by philipgar »

I'm going to miss this one... stupid thesis! maybe they'll have one in Madison before I graduate (seriously, they can't play this city in my 6 years of being a student?.... A man can dream, can't he?

Phil

CULater
Caged Rat

Re: 2011 April 29th - Viper Alley, Lincolnshire, IL Soul Asy

Post by CULater »

Okay - so now that the ears have stopped ringing....

This show was highly entertaining! Dave was definately in a goofy mood and it made for a great time. After a "dueling banjo" riff, Dave had some comments about the movie Deliverance stating that it's about canoeing (I guess I won't post what he said after that - use your imagination) and Tommy could not compose himself, he was laughing so hard. It was contagious, cuz I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! Good stuff! The whole show was like that. At some point there was some random stuff thrown in - One Toke Over The Line, Afroman's Cuz I Got High, Song Sung Blue. Can't state enough - just an awesome time. Good to see some familiar faces and get the chance to chat with some of you. Lookin' forward to the next one....

The setlist

Marionette
Somebody to Shove
All Is Well
Misery
Lately
The Streets (they didn't play this one)
Whatcha Need
Black Gold
Without A Trace
Ran Off and Left Her
Gravity
Into The Light
I Did My Best
Runaway Train
Closer To The Stars
Just Like Anyone

Black Star (Didn't play this one)
Stand Up And Be Strong

The encore ended up starting out with "What would you all like to hear?" - that turned into "Lookin' for a Love" (Neil Young), Blue Suede Shoes, ummm....help me out here others that were at the show....it did end with Stand Up and Be Strong.
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Sounds like a good time was had by all - great to hear!

And, the pictures are marvelous. Thanks to both of you!

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Dave looks sexier with short hair... just sayin'

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

It looked like, to me, that he washed his hair and shaved.

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Respectfully, I disagree, Alyssa, longer hair makes him look younger and sexier. :D

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

How could I forget?! When the band came back out for the encore, Dave had changed into a brand new yellow Spaghetti-O's shirt and sang a spoof about it to the tune of Coldplay's "Yellow" "....and this shirt is.....Yellow" :lol:
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

I don't think anyone mentioned that they also did Neil Diamond's "Song Sung Blue." :)

As for Mr. Pirner's hair, I thought he looked fantastic, and I love the way his longer hair swings around when he plays.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Awesome show, as said band was in great form. The show definitely had a few spontaneous standout moments which made the show a blast.

A few other things that weren't mentioned yet was right before the show began Dave started doing some weird "chant" (he mentioned what it was; I don't remember though) and asked everyone in the audience to follow along to it a couple times. He also asked us to do it one other time during the set (or encore).

Another was the omission of Silly Love Songs after Misery; instead they played Hot Child in the City by Nick Glider. The reason for playing it was that they were poking fun of tour manager Kim King because she had sung it as a karaoke the night before.

Gone 'Til November which has also been a recent segue staple after Cartoon was also omitted, but the other songs that weren't on the setlist definitely made up for it in my opinion.

As usual, great seeing all the familiar faces and meeting some new ones as well; had an awesome time! :)

(Also want to mention that his Spaghetti-O's shirt was so brand new I don't think he even wore it, it still had the tag on it.)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com