Disappointed in Seattle

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Alexander Butler
Stranger

Disappointed in Seattle

Post by Alexander Butler »

Oh, man. Am I shut down. I came to Seattle to see the band play at the King Cat Theater. Spent money on travel and on a hotel room. Was totally keen to see my favorite American rock band. Have loved Soul Asylum since I first saw them in Montreal in 1986. Got to two more concerts over the years and was hoping to make this my fourth. I am so shut down. Walking around Seattle yesterday I saw no posters anywhere for the concert. How well was it promoted? Was there any advertising? One massive downer. Not rich enough to chase the band around the world, I have been looking forward to this concert for months. I wonder how many others out there are as heart-busted and down on this loss as me. I feel sorry for the poor lad who was traveling from Australia.
Last edited by Alexander Butler on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

chambo
Stranger

Re: Disappointed in Seattle

Post by chambo »

Went on a mission to find out just how much sh!t one man can take...

I am the devastated Australian who has spent time and money crossing the globe for this show. It is the second time I have had a ticket to see Soul Asylum and the second time I have missed out. Was 16 and underage in Melbourne 1996 and wasn't allowed in!

Anyway wandering around in the drizzle after arriving from Vancouver. Got stuck in the riots too on my first night after the long journey. Hope nothing else goes wrong for me.

Dave Pirner - Can you please come back to Australia to help make this up to me??

Alexander Butler
Stranger

Hey Chambo
Rather than sitting in my hotel room left to my own devices, tied to the tracks, feeling time's incinerator 25 years later, I decided about an hour ago I am gonna go see some band I know nothing about called Taking Back Sunday at the Showbox in the Market on First Avenue between Union and Pike. I'll be wearing a black teeshirt under my jacket that has a New Orleans logo on it. If you are there, look for me. If you read this, if you go there, if you find me, I will buy you the whoppingnest biggest nastiest Seattle Mountains Grizzly Tea the bar sells and we can commiserate on this shitty badluck cancellation. Nothing beats your journey from Australia, mate, for loyalty to the cause of Soul Asylum. Might as well not be left to our own devices. Save it up for a rainy day. They say misery.......... loves company. -- Butler

chambo
Stranger

Post by chambo »

Butler - look at me...I can't let it go and keep on logging on in case there is news of another show. Maybe I can get to Chicago...

Went to see Okkervil River instead tonight and it was very good. But still, this will take a while to get over. And will I ever, ever. ever, ever get over it?

I reckon they had me in mind when And the Horse they rode in on was written...

This is a bitter pill to swallow;
Veil of tears;
Nice guys don't get paid;
Gullible's travels;
Grounded.

Then there's Made to be Broken...

Never Really Been;
Long Way Home;
Ain't That tough.

I'll stand up and be strong despite these promises broken. There's nothing to write home about.

I'll look out for you at the Showbox. Don't break your promise...

Chambo.

sarc
Marionette

Post by sarc »

Not that it comes even close to a Soul Asylum show but if you can get past the fact that you'll probably be the oldest people in the audience you're garaunteed a good night with Taking Back Sunday, I've lost track of the amount of times I've seen them and they've never put on a bad show.

mrsromek
Inmate

Post by mrsromek »

WOW-you travelled all the way from Australia to see Soul Asylum?

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

Close, but not that far. I travelled from Toronto to Chicago to see Soul Asylum at an out door show. Cancelled due to rain. Luckily enough I saw Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers the night before (check them out if you've never heard, they're awesome), Spin Doctors before SA cancelled, and Urge Overkill (lead singer guy) solo. Not a bad weekend,but no Dave and the boys. I hope you get to see them soon and play everything you want to hear. Cheers!!!

Alexander Butler
Stranger

Wanted to clarify that Chambo (see previous posts this topic) did, yes, travel all the way from Australia to see Soul Asylum. Yes, he did.

I was only stopping in Seattle on the way home from a European vacation so it was not as big a letdown for me.

Chambo, if you see this post, sorry we didn't find each other at the Showbox.
If you're passing back through Vancouver on the way back downunder, let me know and we can try again.... (I'm home again...)

Taking Back Sunday were fun, melodic and energetic,, but the songwriting is pretty immature next to the songs Dave and the lads create.

ghettogold
Inmate

Post by ghettogold »

Chambo, you were the first person i thought of when i got the news.
i was so excited to see them again and see you getting to see them live for the first time. this sucks.
they are playing shows all over the place though and i have faith they will likely come your way.
i am set to see them in nakusp later this month, just need a driving partner as i only have a learners license, or it's the greyhound for me, which is sorta tricky when camping for the weekend at a music festival, but i will NOT miss out on another chance, especially after the Seattle cancellation.

chambo
Stranger

Post by chambo »

Hi - thought I'd better log in after a hiatus to see if there is anything from any of the band members... So I missed out on my dream and it has been hard explaining to my mates that the fundamental purpose of my trip was made redundant my the terrible news in Seattle. I did however enjoy the States and am very glad that I didn't end up getting a ticket to the Chicago show. That would have been too much to take. Unfortunately I can't afford to fly to London from Melbourne for the show there so will have to wait patiently for my favorite band to return to Australia. And this time I'll promote it!!

Thanks to all for their kind wishes. Dave and Dan - any chance of returning to Oz??

Chambo.