2007 Dec. 28th - Cabooze, Mpls, MN (Dave & The Volunteers)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Asylunt
O'Jeezer

Post by Asylunt »

Yeah I had the Green bandanna on my head, standing between Woody and Dave(great spot!).

I remember bits and peices of the set order(sorry that's not how my brain processes music) if we have to construct one from memory.

I had to pee really bad so that's why I split during the last song.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Last night's show was AMAZING! That was the first time I had been to The Cabooze - what a cool place. Even though there were a lot of people, I could always make my way back up to the front of the stage without pushing. Black Star and Artifical Heart were great, but the song of the night for me was when Danny played Cure for This with Marc and Janey. Later when Dave was playing I went up to the bar for a beer and Danny was sitting there watching Dave. I asked him if he was going to get up there, and he said it that he never gets to see Dave play, so this was great. Then I told him how great he sounded on Cure for This and got myself out of there before I said something stupid! :wink:

It was great meeting some of you - Aaron (Moto Geek), Chad (Clammers) and Judith (Miss Fitt)! Todd, I think I saw you with a video camera, but didn't want cut in on your filming!

Tracy

Moto Geek
Inmate

Post by Moto Geek »

Wow. It's amazing how a good mood carries into the next day after suck an EXCELLANT show by Dave & The Volunteers!

I was very pleased to meet Tracy, Kaily, & Kelly at the show. I now know that I also saw Asylunt at the show. Man you had a great spot too. Now I'll know you guys at the next show... lol. Tracy - I swear I never untied Dave's shoelaces... but I was close enough to do it if I wanted to!

I Met Dan Murphy up at the bar earlier in the night. What a cool, down to earth guy. He even asked me what I thought about the holiday show last week at First Avenue. I told him it was great to hear so many old tunes that I hadn't heard 'em do live in years. He told me it was "even f'in harder to re-learn them again!" I kid you not. LOL! So Kelly, thank you for giving me the courage to go up and say "hi" to Dan.

Anyhow - you guys wrapped up the highlights of the show very well. That show was a freakin' treat. The set list was really fun. It was neat to be so close to Dave to watch him read lyrics off his papers. I especially enjoyed the horn section and Andrea's back up singing.

The only bad thing about the night was that I didn't get a "ticket stub" to add to my collection.

I've posted 3 pictures that I took with my crappy cameraphone to share with ya'll. The link is below.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=182 ... &y=-lz119a

Cheers,

Aron in St. Paul
"Standing in the sun with a popsicle - everything is possible!"

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

A truly WONDERFUL show. I know I travel for a lot of shows, but it's still pretty unusual for me to do something like fly to Minneapolis twice within a week, but I'm so glad I did. It's such a rare treat to see Dave do the stuff from his solo album and so much fun to watch him play a different style of music. And the band was awesome! Such a talented group of musicians, but also so much fun to see a band that's enjoying playing with each other so much, so relaxed and having fun. I loved the whole playful mood of the evening -- the inclusion of numbers like Frankenstein and the Theme from 2001, the not-fully-rehearsed cover of Green Eyed Lady, and the comedy stylings of Dave and Woody.

The highlights for me were Green Eyed Lady, I Did My Best, Levitation, I'll Have My Day, and Something Out of Nothing.

I also got a kick out of Dave's goofiness throughout the evening -- his Rockette kicks that nearly sent his lyric stand flying, or his response when Woody was ribbing him about his hair cut. (After identifying his stylist as Vanessa, he ran his hand through his hair in that way that sends it sticking up in all directions and said, "I can hook you up if anyone wants one of these.")

And so great to see so many of you again!
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

excellent show, but I've been beat with the reviews so will not add too much for that.

Opening bands were really nice, the Tim O'Reagan set (first time playing solo) was just memorizing! "Life's Little Ups and Downs"? Truly fantastic!!

For me, that was the first time seeing Janey and Marc with an actual band behind them. IMO, when you have key people like Ed Ackerson, Pete Anderson (and not to mention Marc Perlman), in the lineup, that is going to be one fine band! Really nice to see Danny come up for "Cure For This", that was awesome!

Really nice setlist for the Dave set with quite some surprises in there! I was up front for the Dave set and did see/meet some of you here. No that wasn't me with the video camera (why would you think that was me?), that was Mr Rick Fuller and co. with the video camera(s) setup. Rick Fuller filmed a lot of material that can be seen in movies such as "First Avenue - Hay Day", and the "Something Out Of Nothing" documentary (I think that was the name of that one), amongst other not really released video stuff.
Wonder what their plans are for the video they shot ??
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

norma023 wrote:excellent show, but I've been beat with the reviews so will not add too much for that.

Opening bands were really nice, the Tim O'Reagan set (first time playing solo) was just memorizing! "Life's Little Ups and Downs"? Truly fantastic!!

For me, that was the first time seeing Janey and Marc with an actual band behind them. IMO, when you have key people like Ed Ackerson, Pete Anderson (and not to mention Marc Perlman), in the lineup, that is going to be one fine band! Really nice to see Danny come up for "Cure For This", that was awesome!

Really nice setlist for the Dave set with quite some surprises in there! I was up front for the Dave set and did see/meet some of you here. No that wasn't me with the video camera (why would you think that was me?), that was Mr Rick Fuller and co. with the video camera(s) setup. Rick Fuller filmed a lot of material that can be seen in movies such as "First Avenue - Hay Day", and the "Something Out Of Nothing" documentary (I think that was the name of that one), amongst other not really released video stuff.
Wonder what their plans are for the video they shot ??

Hey, Todd! Sorry I missed meeting you. I was right up front as well. Standing to Jim Walsh's left for most of Dave's set. Judith said she saw you before the show started, but that you were filming during the show (unless I misheard, or there's another Todd superfan!) Anyway, amazing show!

Tracy

Woody
Stranger

Post by Woody »

Very big THANK YOU to everyone that came out on Friday! Good to meet a bunch of you as well. I think we may be doing some type of outdoor show in the spring, so I'll keep the site posted. There also may be some short video clips of the show out next month. Not sure what will happen with it, but I'll let ya know.

Thanks again,

Woody
Hello, Al White Motors...

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

hey all, forgot to mention that I was able to get a set list after the show (thanks Woody!), so here ya go

Frankenstein (w/o Dave)
Teach Me To Breathe
Much Too Easy
Never Recover
Feel The Need
Levitation
I Did My Best
Faces and Names
New World
Green Eyed Lady
Cruel Intentions
Volunteer
I'll Have My Day
Start Treating People Right
Black Star
Artificial Heart
Something Out of Nothing
Encores:
2001 Theme
CC Rider
In The Ghetto
Angel From Montgomery
Shakin Street
band leaves stage briefly then comes back out and plays
Frankenstein (again)
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Well here is one green eyed lady turning green with envy. Black Star and Angel WOW. Thanks for the list. I also am someone whose brain just doesn't work that way. I am not only missing the buzz of the show but the day after tingles too! Glad you all had so much fun. Keep us posted on the spring and the films.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Ahhh...sweeet! Sounds like you guys had a great time at the show. I'd have loved to have driven up again but was out of the region. Mayhaps at the next one...this spring or thereabouts? :)