2011 June 17th - Montalvo Arts Center, Saratoga, CA

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

2011 June 17th - Montalvo Arts Center, Saratoga, CA

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Friday June 17th, 2011
Montalvo Arts Center - Lilian Fontaine Garden Theatre
Saratoga, California

with dada (Dizz Knee Land)
Showtime: 7:30 PM
Ticket Prices : $86 / $68 / $49 | Members: $78 / $62 / $45

http://montalvoarts.org/events/soul_asylum/
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Kradokk
Runaway

Re: 2011 June 17th - Montalvo Arts Center, Saratoga, CA

Post by Kradokk »

Anyone else going to this show?

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

if it were in September I'd probably make it to that one, but I'm still in Wisconsin for now.

Phil

Karlwerneth
Caged Rat

Post by Karlwerneth »

This show is here already! I hope someone will post a set list. It would be interesting to find out any new songs they're playing, or new old ones. "Nothing to write home about" would be great to hear again. I love Dan's solo for that one and ofcourse Dave's lyrics. Encore maybe? They can save it for a Toronto show ;)

ghettogold
Inmate

Post by ghettogold »

are they playing this show?
cos they cancelled tomorrow night in seattle :(

cujofats
O'Jeezer

Post by cujofats »

Here's the set list:
Marionette
Somebody To Shove
Misery
Lately
All Is Well
Black Gold
Without A Trace
? new song (I think it was Gravity)
Cartoon
Gone Till November
Watcha Need
? new song (step into the light...)
Never Really Been
Runaway Train
Closer To The Stars
Just Like Anyone
Sweet Home Alabama (partial)
Stand Up & Be Strong
-no encore-
-Solid show. The venue was not sold out. I'm guessing there was about 250 people when it started, but that's just a guess.There was way less than that by the time it ended. Dave & Michael bantered back and forth all night, having a good time. Tommy really seemed to be enjoying himself also. All in all they played great, as I expected.

Kradokk
Runaway

Post by Kradokk »

Wow. I thought I had until morning to write a recap. I didn't even know there was any other fans there :)

Kind of a surreal concert experience. It was in Saratoga, which is a a small affluent suburb of San Jose. The Montalvo is the kind of place your really wealthy friends would get married at. Its a beautiful, artsy fancy mansion located up a hillside. The opening act was from Saratoga, and appeared to have a very heavy majority of the fans there for them. I sat in the fourth row, and ended up next to the parents of the frontman. A very older crowed, with many people pushing retirement age. After Dada played, at least 25% of the 300 people left, and never returned. By the time Soul Asylum came on, I would also say there were 250 people there at absolute max, and half that by the end. It was a very intimate place, and the band was pretty anonymous. Wandering around the facility between sets I saw Dave, Dan and Tommy just checking out the place. Not a soul even bothered them. Tommy came and sat in the front row and chatted with some ladies for 10 minutes before he just hopped up on stage.

Great set. The band was surprisingly tight and enthusiastic. I noticed 3 or 4 people who seemed to know the songs, including the two girls in the front that seemed to know tommy, and two more girls who gave the guys a standing ovation after every show. Other than that, the place was incredibly mellow. As cujofats said, the guys spent a ton of time bantering back and forth, misreading the setlist, improvising weird stuff, and just having a great time. Dave kept dancing, and the poor guitar tech (Matt?) just kept running on stage trying to keep everything in order. Dave made a comment to someone named Kim, perhaps the manager, that he had been learning a new dance, the "dont trip yourself with your cord" dance, and he had been learning it for about 59 years now. Lots of banter, and the guys all seemed in a great mood. At the end of the show, Dave took advantage of the wireless mic, and just wandered into the very small crowd and shook hands with about 25 people, and thanked everyone for coming, before heading back onstage to finish the show.

Consider us poor saps in the podunk, middle of nowhere that is the San Francisco Bay only get a show every 5 years or so, it was well worth the insane price of admission.

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Sounds like a very nice evening...that lots of people missed out on - pity them.

Thanks for the word, guys!

cujofats
O'Jeezer

Post by cujofats »

Kradokk, your review was dead on! We had nearly the exact same observations. My friend was in row D also (I was just a bit farther back) I really did enjoy myself, even with the very hefty price of admission, but as you said, it was a bit of a surreal experience over all. I do wonder why the band does not seem interested in playing a smaller club like say, The Blank Club in San Jose, where they would have filled it to capacity as opposed to a mostly empty Villa Montalvo. Anyway, great review!

Marta
Runaway

Post by Marta »

I am happy to know that there were other SA fans there, at the time I wasn't sure. Thanks Kradokk for referring to me as a "girl" who stood up after every song because I am one of those near retirement age. I would have liked to stand DURING every song but with some regard for the people behind me I didn't. I really enjoyed it, they just don't come to California often enough. It's hard to understand anyone paying that much and leaving the great music behind. Yep, their loss.