2011 Oct. 15th - HMV Forum, London, England (Canceled)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Laura
Marionette

Re: 2011 Oct. 15th - HMV Forum, London, England

Post by Laura »

Hi Ugur!
It's the same with me, I'm 21, live in Hungary, and don't know anyone else in my country in person who loves Soul Asylum. However, I've been a fan for 7 years now.
During the years I got used to the fact that I cannot enjoy the music of SA with anyone else, so it became my private little favourite that noone knows (people ususally only know Runaway Train). I think I have never shown it even to my boyfriend of 2 years, although he downloaded bought And the horse... from on the Internet, but I don't know what happened after it (I'm not sure he would like it...:D).
I considered travelling to London or Brussels, or both, but I'm probably going to spend all my money on travelling in the summer (we are also going to visit Istanbul:))
But don't give up, we will surely have a chance to see them live sometime, somewhen... if they carry on giving shows in Europe with the same frequency as now.
All the best,
L.

Ugur
Stranger

Post by Ugur »

Hi Laura:)
we share common feelings about the situation about SA in our countries.Like you said,SA has become my unique private favorite,whom no one else knows much..This fact makes the group a little bit more precious for me.
If they come nearer,i can go to the concerts(i do anything to go(:),i really want to see them this is so exciting.. Maybe after a couple years,i may get the chance to see them live in America.I'm in the 'listenning&watching the videos-mode' nowadays.They(SA) are sooo talented and perfect..
I hope your holiday will be good(: İstanbul is wonderful and from historical&social point of view it's really a mixed city.I think it's also the 'concentrated' form of Turkey.I may recommend it.If you want,i can inform you as much as can.I'm studying there in my university and i'm in the south coast of Turkey for summer holiday(my hometown,Mersin).
I agree with you,i don't have any intention to give up.If we really want,we can do it see them&watch them live(:
Take care;)
'There are no facts, only interpretations.'
F.Nietzsche

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Hi Ugar, there's a round trip flight available, Istanbul to London Gatwick for a very good price of 123 Euros with Easyjet, Arriving on day of show at 14:55 and departing at 6:35am the next morning so you could in theory if you have the energy, just do the show, and fly straight back home, sleep at the airport/on the plane therefore avoiding extra expenses for accommodation etc.

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Anyone else that's thinking of flying into London or Brussels for the shows, and want some help to get a cheap airfare, then send me a message as I seem to have the knack of finding bargain airfares! Just a few years ago I flown from London to Minneapolis for a show for just £240! (under $400)

Ugur
Stranger

Post by Ugur »

Hi Andrew,thanks for your attention firstly.Your idea seems good,well i may actually carry it out.But i've to ask some questions then.I've never been to London before,will it be easy for me to follow the things out safely?(travelling to the concert place,then going back to the airport)At those times,can i find busses,metro etc?What things should i follow?I don't want to get into trouble you know.
Thanks(:
F.Nietzsche

andrewttw
Inmate

Post by andrewttw »

Hi Ugur

Yes it should be quite easy to travel from Gatwick airport to the venue and back, the venue is just a few minutes walk from Kentish Town underground station.

The easiest way is to get the train from Gatwick Airport to London Bridge, it departs every 15 mins in in the afternoon and takes just 31 mins to reach London Bridge, once at London Bridge station you would have to transfer to the London underground, the great thing is London Bridge is on the same underground line as Kentish town.

So its just then an easy direct 20 minute underground journey heading North on the northern line to Kentish Town, overall even with the change from overground railway onto the London underground it should only take about an hour from leaving Gatwick airport!

The last train back to London Bridge leaves Kentish town at 20 past midnight which will be well after the show ends and connects you in time to a Gatwick train, the last Gatwick train from London Bridge is at 1:05am but alternatively there are also Gatwick trains from Victoria station running every hour through the night.

Travelling in London is pretty Safe as London has so much CCTV including on all of the underground stations & trains, however late at night you may feel safer taking a taxi to either London Bridge or Victoria to get the main train back to Gatwick, which will be staffed with conductors & therefore very safe.

You can use these websites to look up the times

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ The main uk train timetables websites, simply start typing in Gatwick & it will auto complete to Gatwick airport and as you type in London as destination, London Bridge should be the 3rd option down

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk the London transport journey planner website including the underground, select London Bridge to Kentish town to check times

Hope that helps you and anyone else that may be considering flying into Gatwick Airport!

thedude81
Lone Rider

Post by thedude81 »

hey guys,
i just bought my tickets for the show at hmv forum. i am flying in from austria. does any of u know if there is hotel, motel, b&b around camden town ? figured that that might be a nice place to stay or ?
thanks for yr suggestions
martin

sarc
Marionette

Post by sarc »

Yep there is. I used to use one called Michaels before i moved closer and was able to get home after gigs. It's on Grafton Road.
As I said it's been a while since i used it but it's still there and it worked out at something like £35 a night which while it's not the Savoy it's still worth more than you pay just remember to eat all the breakfast that comes with the room as I used to get told off by the mad greek woman who used to run it if I didnt eat up every morsel of food.
Used to love staying there.

Ugur
Stranger

Post by Ugur »

Hey Andrew,i started carrying things through.Tomorrow i'll buy my flight tickets,then the visa thing etc.
Thank you for your attention.
Byess!
F.Nietzsche

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

thats awesome Ugur.THEY BETTER NOT CANCEL THIS CONCERT.so many people going out of there way to get there.this is so exciting to hear everyone's plans.