2012 April 29th - Jazz Fest 2012, New Orleans, LA (Dave)

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
better late
Social Butterfly

Re: Dave at N.O. Jazz Fest 2012

Post by better late »

The dates for performances at the Jazz Fest have been released.

Dave, with the Chilton Tribute, will be on Sunday, April 27.

Also on stages that day: Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Al Green, John Mayer, Dr. John & The Lower 911, Cowboy Mouth and "many more".

Peace.

better late
Social Butterfly

Re: Jazzfest in New Orleans

Post by better late »

Yes, many stages, lots of food, spend lots of money :lol:

It's a big event here - people come from far and wide and all that.

desirae
Inmate

Post by desirae »

sorry i did see theres already a discussion about the Jazzfest, :oops: anyway, i think it would be alot of fun, i never knew it was this big, there are some big names on there, @ Better late...are you going to this??

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Yes, desirae, I'm definitely planning on going Sunday, April 29! :D

desirae
Inmate

Post by desirae »

I really want to go, I love New Orleans, maybe i can pull it off,its still a ways away, if not you have to take tons of pictures

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Hope you can make it. Like I said, it is a real big deal. So, even though it is three months away...if you are thinking of going...book a hotel room soon, even if you have to cancel it later.

Good luck with your "event planning". :D

better late
Social Butterfly

Re: 2012 April 29th - Jazz Fest 2012, New Orleans, Louisiana

Post by better late »

The Cubes are up - what everyone waits for:

The Alex Chilton Tribute with Dave what's his name is at the Gentilly Stage from 12:45 to 1:55 pm. Sunday, April 29. (He's gonna have to wake up early, me too...)

If it's as hot as it was today - please do bring your umbrella - good for dancing and even better for shade. :D

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

that isn't the time slot for Dave's set is it? Isn't that that slot for everyone else playing the tribute set?
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Same thing - Dave is part of the tribute. They did a tribute to Alex Chilton at a local award show last year and he was on stage for a couple of songs. I'm hoping with a whole hour and ten minutes he'll be on stage longer. He doesn't have his own set. (That would be nice, too :D )

Check out "The Cubes" at the official New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Fest site to see all the artists and the dates and times.

better late
Social Butterfly

Re: 2012 April 29th - Jazz Fest 2012, New Orleans, LA (Dave)

Post by better late »

It was a great show. So great it made the heat and humidity barely bearable. The stage was covered (as every Jazz Fest plans for rain) so presumably it was a little cooler and breezier on the stage - out in the crowds - brutal.

Seemed that all the musicians in the band pretty much did their own set up and take down. Including Dave, who was running back and forth between guitar and podium where the "cheat sheets" were placed, etc. He did seem to have a little technical difficulty with his guitar: It came unplugged a few times, he didn't seem to like what he was hearing from his monitor and unplugged it once in the middle of a song, plugged in another one and then unplugged the new one and plugged the old one back in. When it was plugged in - it sounded good to me.

Much better show than the short Alex Chilton Tribute at the Beat Awards in 2010. Dave sang lead on three songs (one was the theme from the 70s show and another was one with lots of baby, baby in it :) and backing vocals on many more. He was on stage from beginning to end.

Susan Cowsill did most of the talking. At one point she said to bear with them because they were disheveled - not only because they were musicians and were supposed to be disheveled and, at any given time were each working on about four projects at the same time - but because between them all they had four different albums going on in their heads.

Susan introduced and/or announced Dave to the audience several times. In kind, he saved her by running across the stage with a sheet of plexiglass to cover her flying "cheat sheets". And, of course, he eloquently thanked the "Dead Alex" (Chilton) and the "Live Alex" (McMurray).

Despite whatever was happening with his guitar, Dave was very much into the music and seemed to be having a great time. It was no Soul Asylum, but it was a great collaboration by some wonderful local musicians.

The Baton Rouge Advocate mentioned the show and said something like, and I'm quoting very loosely, "(tributes) are often not well rehearsed, but Chilton's songs were in good hands".