2012 March 17th - Orlando Bike Week 2012, Orlando, Florida

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Re: 2012 March 17th - Orlando Bike Week 2012, Orlando, Flori

Post by g8trcarol »

I wish I could have been at both shows! Ah well. Fort Lauderdale will have to tide me over until the next opportunity. Dave did the "Silly Love Songs" thing at the end of Misery at the Culture Room as well. The venue had a Paul McCartney concert video playing prior to and in between the opening acts. Dave even made a comment about it after the song. Any opening acts prior to SA in Orlando?

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

thanks for the great review Adam!! i'm getting so excited for the August show in CT that i'm able to go to
if anybody finds picks /videos please post links :)

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Thanks for the review, Adam, and for adding a little light on the mystery of the bass!

Can't wait 'til those summer dates start filling up! :D

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

sotampacane wrote:With Tommy and the Figgs both being in Austin for sxsw they found someone to play bass and I think they said his name was Roy or Ray, but never introduced him other than to say he was 'a quick study', which he must have been b/c he sounded rock solid to me.
His name is Winston and I agree that he did a great job for his first and second shows with the band.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

So far there's three videos up:

Orlando
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXGlDQS00Wg[/youtube]

Ft. Lauderdale
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4-1tgXU9wc[/youtube]

Another at Ft. Lauderdale (warning: audio is sucky, turn volume down if wearing headphones)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZSeDABRNVo[/youtube]

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

thanks for the video links and the warning on the last one.

was that woman on stage somebody they know or a random fan?

edit:-oh just saw on the other forum the woman who posted it was her! cool !! (yes i'm so jealous! )

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Dave told me in Omaha "I need some new clothes."

I tugged at his sleeve and said, "I like the ones you have."

Looking at those videos though, some new pants wouldn't kill him. :P

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

I thought both shows were great! They seemed to have a bit more energy on Friday night...though it may have had something to do with it being such an early show and being rather warm. The highlight, to me, was definitely "Summer of Drugs" which I'd never had the privilege of hearing live. Before that song, Dave did the bit about buying his guitar for 19.99 and receiving the guitar, 6 picks and 12 lessons. My wife recorded the bit and song on her phone...I'll try to upload on youtube later. Another part that I thought was funny was after "Last Train to Clarksville", Dave said that they would do a Whitney Houston, but they don't know any.

As to the girl from Friday night, I was talking to her brother after the show and he said that at a show a few years earlier, Dave's mic stand broke and he randomly picked her to be his mic holder. He recognized her at some point, and ripped the mic from the stand (it was heavily taped) during "Stand Up and Be Strong". He then pulled her up on stage (which, due to the shirt-dress being so short, gave us all a show we didn't pay to see) and a introduced her as a girl who acted as his mic stand before.

On another note, for fans of "By the Way"...After the show, Dave had said that they were working on a new arrangement (with Tommy's wife (?) singing backing vocals) and plan on mixing it into their set for upcoming shows. I know they've played it live recently, but it's nice to know that it wasn't just a one time thing and they plan on keeping it around for a while!

erikagoo
Lone Rider

Post by erikagoo »

I didn't mean to give anyone a peep show but the guy behind me thought it was funny to pull up my skirt on my way up :shock:

Getting onstage again was certainly a highlight for me, I still can't come down from the clouds! It was definitely a fantastic show! :)

sotampacane
Lone Rider

Post by sotampacane »

I had never heard that song "by the way" before you mentioned it. Itunes doesn't have it, but there are a couple videos on youtube. Since buying it is not a likely option, does anyone have an mp3 that can be uploaded? Love to have the recorded version of this.
erocmann wrote:
On another note, for fans of "By the Way"...After the show, Dave had said that they were working on a new arrangement (with Tommy's wife (?) singing backing vocals) and plan on mixing it into their set for upcoming shows. I know they've played it live recently, but it's nice to know that it wasn't just a one time thing and they plan on keeping it around for a while!