2012 July 26th - Bowery Ballroom, NYC, NY

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
niceguynotgettingpaid
Stranger

Re: 2012 July 26th - Bowery Ballroom, NYC, NY

Post by niceguynotgettingpaid »

I LOVED the show last night. I hadn't seen the boys in a club setting since they played Irving Plaza when the Silver Lining came out. I've seen them a few times since then but it's always been in outdoor parks or at mohegan sun. It's so much better when they can fully rock out in a club and when there's real fans in the crowd instead of a bunch of people who decided to check out a free show of a band they vaguely remember.

Until now, I've been feeling so-so on Delayed Reaction. There are some songs that I love (Take Manhattan, The Streets, Let's all kill each other, Your Generation) but as a whole I thought the album was good, not great. But hearing the songs live made me love them so much more. The boys bring an infectious energy that isn't captured on the album. I LOVED their performance of Into the Light last night.

And it was a nice treat to get the hang time gems early in the show. I could listen to them play Marionette and Little Too Clean all day.

Last night, everything was right. The band played their hearts out. The crowd was into it. And I was able to get lost in the music in a way that I just couldn't during the free shows I've attended in the last few years.

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

WOW, WHAT A SHOW! If there's any band out there that has more energy than Soul Asylum, please let me know!

I've seen Soul Asylum dozens of times over the last decade in many states and they still put on an amazing show! Besides thinking they played a few too many covers (I would have rather them been replaced with "Lately", "All Is Well', and "Cartoon"), I thought the show was perfect.

And I agree with everyone that it's great to see them in a venue where people are singing along and not just in a lawn chair attempting to sing along to "Runaway Train." The show was flawless, Dave is still my favorite frontman of all-time, and I'm thankful to have Soul Asylum in my life.

Great show, guys!

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:P.S. Susan was the guitar tech. Great to see her out there again, and all went smoothly -- as it always does when she's on the job.

thanks for the setlists and reviews (so far)! Sounds like another scorcher of a show !! (but seeing as I just saw them 4 times last week, I'm a bit biased and still on cloud nine) :mrgreen:

I am pretty sure Susan lives in NYC so that would make sense. But good to see her none-the-less !!
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Wow, sounds like it was an awesome show! It's great to know that love for Soul Asylum is alive and well in NYC.

matty
Marionette

Post by matty »

2012-07-26 23.14.59-1.jpg
1343411372395.jpg
1343411372395.jpg (11.48 KiB) Viewed 16763 times
Attachments
IMG_20120727_090643.jpg

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

Wow, I had the complete opposite reaction! I've been to 50+ shows and this was one of my favorites. I thought the set list was dynamite and they were on fire. They really did a nice job mixing old and material and I think they paced the show exactly right.
I have to agree I thought the set list was great; with a nice mix of old and new stuff.

I haven't been to 50+ Soul Asylum shows, but it's probably been more than 10.

For all those that loved it; where were you in the venue? I have the belief that the closer you are to the front the better the concert seems. I was on up on the balcony right behind the soundboard.
The crowd was also super into it. Sold out show, and more singing along than I've seen in a while.
Such things can indeed make the experience better.

I think the new material sounded great. Gravity has been a favorite of mine since they started playing it a couple of years ago,
Agreed, Gravity holds it's place up there as a great live track. Definitely the strongest from the new record. It hardly feels new anymore.

I thought Take Manhattan went pretty well, but the band looked scared to play it.

The best shows I've seen them do are outdoor shows [both, consequently in Norwalk CT, I think].

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

"A Little Too Clean" (MP3, 7/26/2012)
That's how they wrote it on the setlist.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Nice photos, Rob. Thanks for sharing.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Wow, Rob - Great photos, as always! I especially love the second and third.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Sad Daydream
Marionette

Post by Sad Daydream »

Long time reader of the forum, finally registered. Just want to say Thursday night was incredible. As a long time fan, hearing 2 from 'Hang Time' in a row and 'Closer to the Stars' was awesome. I also loved hearing everything they did from Delayed Reaction. I wish they were playing more clubs in this area, but I guess I can't complain. Anyway, I thought the band was as tight as could be, and Dave Pirner still is one of the greatest fromtmen ever.