2012 July 20th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Re: 2012 July 20th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Post by EasyStreet »

PROMISESBROKEN wrote:Not to mention we grownups were a wee bit tired from the Entry show! Tracy
wimps :mrgreen:

did you go to the St Cloud show? Nice comfy seats with lots of leg room, good for napping! Should have taken your son to that one!
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

I prefer to take my son to a real rock venue to see Soul Asylum, rather than, say, THE MALL! ;)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

rockinbrian
Inmate

Post by rockinbrian »

Set list courtesy of Mezzic.com

Soul Asylum Set List:

Your Generation
Just Like Anyone
Marionette
Pipe Dream
A Little Too Clean
Gravity
Take Manhattan
Black Gold
Ran Off and Left Her
By The Way
Love Will Tear Us Apart
The Streets
Into the Light
Did My Best
Without A Trace
Runaway Train
Closer to the Stars
Attacking the Beat
Somebody to Shove
Stand Up and Be Strong

Encore:

Into My Arms
Misery (listed, but not played)
Shakin’ Street

In his review he stated 1st Ave upgraded their sound system about a month ago which may be why it sounded so good. Also has some nice pics. Heres the link.
http://mezzic.com/2012/07/23/concert-re ... nneapolis/

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

Thanks for sharing all the tidbits, folks. Much appreciated! :P

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Hmmm… we are definitely seeing this show differently. It appears I am the only one, umm.. disappointed.

Probably the most “frustrating” show I can ever remember.

The good… the set list ( even with all of the covers), Dave’s Iggy Pop impersonation, Winston amazingly picking things up quickly, Michael on the drums is always a treat.

I don’t care that Dave was having guitar issues, hey it’s rock and roll and that happens. I don’t care that the sound could have been better.

The bad.. .I was hoping Dave would say something like ( frustrated he didn’t ) .. “hey, we have a new CD –Delayed reaction, thanks for coming to the CD release party. “ But, not one mention of the new CD.

But; ultimately Dave’s antics ruined the show for me. He walked off stage, was animatedly chewing someone out a number of times (we were right in front of Winston, we could see, couldn’t hear) etc… Instead of being the “leader” and saying .. “hey, sorry my gear isn’t working but we are going to give it a go” -- he acted like a petulant little child.

At one point, I was hoping Dan or Michael would have said something to him/ “kicked him in the pants” … whatever ** told him to quick whining and get his “stuff” together. (Eventually he did but to late )

We decided Friday before the show that we would go to St. Cloud on Saturday as the kids were away; but after the show we bagged it.

If you came from out of town, hopefully you saw the entry show ( outstanding !!) or the gig in St. Cloud went better. Although, sitting at a SA concert is only slightly better than seeing them in a mall. ;)

No worries; really, however. I will be at the next show, still love 'em.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

Here's a link to some great photos of the show taken by Steven Cohen (not Tony Nelson, my mistake) for City Pages...

http://www.citypages.com/slideshow/soul ... 7371906/#1

I'm especially fond of #13 ;)

I agree that the Entry show was definitely the better show of the 2, but I'm thrilled my boy got to see Soul Asylum as his first show at First Ave!

Tracy
Attachments
stevencohenphoto.jpg
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

I understand how you feel, but I personally didn't think it was that bad. I can forgive him for having a bitch fit over his gear because he was obviously having fun at the end and he was in a great mood after the show. Sometimes I get super mad too when it isn't really appropriate, so I guess I can empathize with Dave. :P

I do agree that maybe he should've said something about the new album. I always wish they'd talk more between songs. I mean yeah, we're there to hear the music, but a few stories and jokes and comments are always great too.

Marta
Runaway

Post by Marta »

I wish I had been to 7th Ave. The reviews seem to vary. I think this venue might have been a big deal for them and to have technical issues would be upsetting. Wasn't this show billed as the launch party? You're upset because they didn't say they had a new album, Sometime?

Marta
Runaway

Post by Marta »

Of course, I meant 1st Ave. Sorry to say I've never even been to MN.

PAULY
Caged Rat

Post by PAULY »

i must say seen soul asylum 9 times in my short life and never a dissapointment i must say ... just chills and the best times in my life completed by them ...hung out with Dave and Dan backstage after a show in Orlando and then another time hung out with Dave at the bar after a show in Buffalo ... and let me tell both down to earth stand up guys they are...just saying............ the Egg man arm lol