2012 Aug. 3rd - The Independent, San Francisco, CA

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
philgar
O'Jeezer

Re: 2012 Aug. 3rd - The Independent, San Francisco, CA

Post by philgar »

philgar wrote:so, I'm not sure what people's plans are yet. I'll be heading into the city after work today, probably leaving the Sacramento area around 4pm. Not sure if anyone wants to meet up, but I plan on stopping by the Fly Bar before the show (I'll probably get there 7-7:30 or so, unless someone contacts me earlier). Should give plenty of time to eat and have a few beers before the show.

Anyhow, I'll be wearing a bright yellow slobberbone shirt (you really can't miss it), and can be texted/called from my google voice number: (608) 622-7468 . I might just be sitting at the bar depending if anyone else is around. I'll also be at the show obviously, feel free to say hi, I'll likely be right up front for the show, as I always try to get that front row spot between dave and dan. Hopefully a few of us can get up there and protect spots for each other.

Phil

just a note, the fly bar is a block or so north of the independent, at 762 Divisadero.

Phil

Admiral_Needa
Brand New Shine

Post by Admiral_Needa »

SF Setlist:

Your Generation
Just Like Anyone
Marionette
Little Too Clean
Pipe Dream
Gravity
Easy Street
Black Gold
The Juice
By The Way
The Streets
Into The Light
Devices
Without A Trace
Runaway Train
Closer to the Stars
Somebody to Shove
Stand Up and Be Strong

Encore:
Attacking The Beat
Shakin' Street
Misery

Nice meeting you Phil! Still up for drinking? Didn't you have ~6 beers at the show? j/k, lol ;)

Kradokk
Runaway

Post by Kradokk »

Just thought I would toss in my two cents.

It was nice to see the guys in a club again, but the atmosphere was a bit ridiculous. I noticed about 25 people that seemed to know the GDU songs, and a few that knew the older ones. We had a nice spot with Phil, next to Dave and Dan, but bailed out when some giant drunk dude elbowed my girlfriend in head twice in the first two songs.

The crowd that was there seemed to talk a ton, and my girlfriend and I had to keep moving around the club trying to find a spot to enjoy the show without being blinded by people texting, or shouting over the music. It was pretty disappointing.

The guys played a decent show, but I really missed seeing Tommy. Dave and Dan, and maybe even the new bass player all had technical problems. Dave especially, he was using "backup" guitars for much of the show, tried and failed to play his harmonica and each of them spent time over talking to the techs during and between songs. It was far from a "smooth" show.

Glad I got to see them, and ran into Phil for the first time since 2001, but overall the set wont go down as anything memorable.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

So sorry you are not liking the new songs. I think they are awesome and continue to like them more as I play them. Pipedreams, BTW and "I got my love you too."

Too bad about the crowd and the techy problems. Looks like you got both Marrionette and Little too clean, which are highlights for me. Set list is very similiar but I don't think we got Devices or Black Gold. And I don't think I have everseen Misery as the closer.

But it sounds like maybe Dan and Dave were experiencing some misery with their company.

Better luck next time....