2012 Oct 25th - Hard Rock Hotel, Orlando, FL

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
lucy
Social Butterfly

Re: 2012 Oct 25th - Hard Rock Hotel, Orlando, FL

Post by lucy »

I'm thinking you're right, Kevin. And I'm thinking that a person has to think about how to make a living.

But wouldn't it be so awesome to see a Dave Pirner solo tour playing indie band size venues? I'm thinking in Orlando the Social, in St. Pete / Tampa - the Crowbar - these are places where bands such as Frank Turner, Lemonheads, Lucero played recently. Good respectable sized venues. Maybe not as big as a rib fest, but maybe filled with people there for the love of the music (maybe people who buy records!) rather than slathered in beer and bbq sauce waiting for Runaway Train : ) You know what I mean - I know you all do!

Watching those songs with just Dave and the "new guy" playing acoustic guitars at the benefit show - that is all about how great those songs are, pared down to bare bones. And they sound great! And maybe in a setting like that you could do a set without playing all "the hits" - gasp! :0 Maybe somethings more kooky and experimental - maybe some Dave solo songs, and Cruel Intentions thrown in and some covers, like at a Dave and Volunteers show. I'd travel an unreasonable distance for a show like that! A girl can dream.

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

A rose by any other name? ....

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

kevinmpls wrote:but they really are just Dave solo shows from now on which is fine and enjoyable, but it's not Soul Asylum without Dan.

This doesn’t look or sound like a Dave solo show to me. Michael Bland, as far as I know, has been an official member of Soul Asylum for quite a while and Winston Roye has been playing with the band for a few months. The set list looks like all Soul Asylum tunes, with a few covers thrown in.

Sure, it’s tough not seeing Dan on stage. But, some of the doom and gloom here is very depressing. Dan decided it was better for him to move on - it’s not like he was abducted by aliens.

So, I’m wondering where is the line between supporting Dan and spitting on Dave. Dan, apparently, willingly walked away from Soul Asylum. Dave’s still out there - trying to carry on. Apparently starting with finding a replacement for Dan for the show in Spain. But, isn’t that what he’s been doing all these years, finding the right musicians to make this band work?

There are numerous interviews with Dave saying how much Soul Asylum means to him, saying after his solo record he still needed his band and stuff like that. I think if you profess to appreciate all that Dave has given to the band all these years he should get more support in what is probably a tough time for him too.

All I’m saying is - the great body of work that Soul Asylum has given us over the years should live on in the body of a band with Dave Pirner at the helm. As long as he, and those songs (his), are there - it’s still Soul Asylum. And, in my humble opinion, it’s still Soul Asylum for as long as Dave Pirner says it is.

Hopefully, Dan is very happy with his decision. I have decided I’m going to be happy for him and respect him for making what he felt was the right decision. But, I’m also going to be happy for whatever direction Dave takes Soul Asylum in - for however long he does, and I think he deserves a little respect for that.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

"So, I’m wondering where is the line between supporting Dan and spitting on Dave.....I think if you profess to appreciate all that Dave has given to the band all these years he should get more support in what is probably a tough time for him too.... I think he deserves a little respect for that. "

Wow, if these comments are in reference to what I said, I think either I need to take a creative writing class or someone needs to take a reading comprehension class because I don't think that the words I chose in any portrayed what you are saying here. Maybe you aren't talking about what I said, but I assume that since this string contains my review of this show that you are. Certainly not my intention at all.

I tried not to write hastily to be sure that how I worded what I wanted to say did not come across as critical of Dave, of the band or of the show. They did put on a good show, the set list was amazing and Dave in particular did a great job of plowing ahead. I thought that I emphasized that my feelings on the show were not related to how they performed but my own feelings.

I said in my original comments that I support Dave in whatever direction he chooses and of course it's his band! It's his life, his friends, his livelihood and his decision. And of course it is toughest on them! They are just people after all trying to make decisions in life. I've noted that several times as well. I'm sure he has gone around and around in his own mind what his options are, what the future holds, what it all means and what it should mean.

Since I was actually at the show, it is different than philosophically thinking about what "should" be, and I was expressing how it felt to be there from my experience. There is no "right" answer and no one knows what the future holds. This was just the first, of hopefully many, shows in whatever way, shape or form they continue. Hopefully the future holds good things and more fun times for everyone!!!

better late
Social Butterfly

Post by better late »

lucy wrote:Wow, if these comments are in reference to what I said,
No way - your review was very supportive. The only thing I said that may have referred to your review was the:
better late wrote:Sure, it’s tough not seeing Dan on stage.
part.

What really motivated my post was what I quoted at the beginning and just the general "it's the end of the world as we know it..." - well, it may be the end of world as we know it but it's not the end of the world.

BTW, glad that your dog is better - I had one that 'caused many a nightmare on the road due to health, so I know how that feels.

Sorry if I offended you in anyway, was not my intention.

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

I'm glad there are no Cruel Intentions : ) It's hard to be sure to phrase yourself properly to be understood in a forum where most people don't know each other personally. But I think we are all on the same page for most part! Good intentions and hoping for the best for all and for some future fun !!

My doggie is feeling better , thank you!- he's 16 1/2 so some days are good and some days are harder. But he's a good little trooper!

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Just to add too, in case I am not expressing my self well. I can see the mixed feelings, sad to not see Danny. But as far as whether Dave is still calling the band Soul Asylum or Dave solo, by either name (rose), it is going to be a good show, and will be the only way to see SA songs live.

In respect for both Dan and Dave, this is how they decided it should be. So I think in supporting the continued SA, we are then supporting them both. I hope so...

As lucy said, I am sure this is even harder for Dan and Dave than it is for us.

Rad Spencer
Stranger

Post by Rad Spencer »

I just wanted to chime in on this...

In the last year I've seen Soul Asylum play a harley davidson bike show to a very bare bones crowd, and they rocked just like nobody was watching... best version of Cocaine Blues ever (sorry mister cash)

I saw em rock some weird boat Gran Prix which again was does very well (there were IMO some sound issues, but at a boat show that's what ya get... And of course I loved every moment, and hung on every riff...

SA was actually the second band I ever saw when I was too young to even be in the north florida bar they were playing so naturally it's good to start following them again.

And this was my second time seeing them at Velvet Sessions... Musically everyone did their jobs... I wasn't watching the Dave Show I was seeing Soul Asylum.

It's a lot of pressure to follow the departure of Dan, but still Dave picked the right guy to do the job as they also picked the right guy when Stinson got abducted by Axl's work camp... My only regret that night was not taking the time to let him know he did a fantastic job. Roye as well has done an excellent job in keeping the dream alive, and as far as I'm concerned has definitely earned his spot in the band.

There was one thing missing, and it was the back and forth between Dan and Dave, but that kinda of playing takes time to develop, and I'm sure it will...

It was definitely a Soul Asylum show, but I certainly would not mind for a second seeing Dave do a show for Faces and Names... Think what you will as I'm sure you will, but the musics still there as is the energy that backs it and makes them one of my top five... Adapting is hard, but I recommend trying otherwise you'll miss out on some great shows!

And Dave if you ever happen to stumble upon this it was a pleasure meeting you, and thanks for the time Myself, and Pixelated Inc. thank you!

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Rad Spencer wrote:they also picked the right guy when Stinson got abducted by Axl's work camp.
:lol: lol, that was a good one.

I miss that boy...

Marta
Runaway

Post by Marta »

it’s still Soul Asylum for as long as Dave Pirner says it is.

AMEN!