California Shows, April 2013

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
mad_soul
Inmate

California Shows, April 2013

Post by mad_soul »

Hi everyone!!!!
I haven't written in a long time, but I read almost every post in the forum, I really love this website!!
For those who don't know me, I'm a huge fan of Soul Asylum (since 1995) and I live in Chile :)
I'm really excited about all the shows that are coming and now I may have the chance to fly to Los Angeles in April. I was thinking about going to the 3 shows in CA (April 4, 5 and 6), but I just noticed that Sacramento is very far away from Los Angeles. I could do it by bus or airplane, but it would be so much better to ride with some fans!!!

Anyone interested? We could rent a car or at least travel by bus together :D and share a great experience!

Let me know your opinion :)
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Madelaine

philgar
O'Jeezer

Re: California Shows, April 2013

Post by philgar »

mad_soul wrote:Hi everyone!!!!
I haven't written in a long time, but I read almost every post in the forum, I really love this website!!
For those who don't know me, I'm a huge fan of Soul Asylum (since 1995) and I live in Chile :)
I'm really excited about all the shows that are coming and now I may have the chance to fly to Los Angeles in April. I was thinking about going to the 3 shows in CA (April 4, 5 and 6), but I just noticed that Sacramento is very far away from Los Angeles. I could do it by bus or airplane, but it would be so much better to ride with some fans!!!

Anyone interested? We could rent a car or at least travel by bus together :D and share a great experience!

Let me know your opinion :)
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Madelaine
I won't be down at the southern california shows, but I do plan on making the Sacramento show (I do live just outside of sac, so it's an easy one... possibly the first time I've seen soul asylum in the "city" where I'm living).

Phil

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

Hello,
I think I remember meeting you when you were in the Twin Cities last summer for the week of SA shows. I can't help you out with California, but if you were looking for a ride from the South Dakota show to the Nebraska show, I could help you there. Of course that's only two shows instead of three, and if I was coming all the way from Chile I'd want the three, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Jenifer

jludes
Marionette

Post by jludes »

I live in LA and am going to the San Diego and LA shows for certain. I may be up for driving to the SAC show as well. I have a car. Either way, I'll be happy to meet up with you at the San Diego show. Been to over 30 SA shows; can't wait to add some more to the list!

John

hurtsinagoodway@gmail.com

mad_soul
Inmate

Post by mad_soul »

Hello everybody!!
Thank you all for your responses and for offering me your help, I really appreciate it a lot =)
Unfortunately I won't be able to go to USA this April :(
I was so excited making plans, but things didn't go out as I expected :cry:

I'm hoping for new shows to be scheduled soon, so I can see Soul Asylum and hang up with other fans again! I really miss that :D

Hope you have a great time at the Shows and please say Hi to Dave if you talk to him ;)

... And thanks again for everything!!!

jludes
Marionette

Post by jludes »

FYI. Went to the Solana Beach show. A new drummer joined for his first gig with SA. Dave said Michael has a "very bad leg" and wanted to be there "more than anyone else." Drummer was reading sheet music and did a good job for a (presumably) very short notice assignment. They played a long acoustic section; likely driven by this. All the band gathered around the drummer for many of the song endings to help out. Interesting night . . . I assume this will carry on for a while, if not the rest of the tour.

John

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Thanks for the info, I guess that explains the acoustic show in AZ. Sounds like they should have just done it guitars and bass and no drummer.

jludes
Marionette

Post by jludes »

It's pretty impressive how a guy who presumably knew only a couple of the songs and just drove in to San Diego to meet the band for the show can pull off a respectable job. He had to stare at sheet music nearly the entire time he was drumming but still pulled off most of the fills, breaks, etc., pretty much as they are normally done. The problem is that all this precludes dynamic, loose, drumming and for someone who has seen Bland (and 30 odd SA shows), there a discernible difference in the energy and looseness of the band, which of course, is no one's fault. I'm sure Dave was really concerned about pulling it off but he has a crazy positive attitude and forged ahead without any hints to the audience that it could derail at any time.

I hope Michael gets better soon and will be able to rejoin the tour, but they're doing what they always have done . . . getting by any way they can and giving the audience what they expect and payed for. If the replacement drummer does play more shows it will no doubt get better with each one; he's clearly a very skilled, professional drummer.

After the show I was speaking to an older guy who was seeing them for the first time and he was raving about Dave, the show, etc. So, I think a decent segment of fans will never even notice a difference. And even the fans singing along to most of the songs seemed to be having a blast. Kudos to SA!

John

philgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philgar »

So, i got to see the band last night in sacramento. It was a good show, although odd seeing them without dan, and although the replacement drummer did a good job, he was no match for michael bland. The show was mostly electric with a few acoustic nmbers added in (likely for the drummer). I took some photos and videos that ill try to post later. Theyre on my phone so the quality might not be the greatest. Anyhow, heres the setlist that i wrote down

Somebody to shove
Misery (with a but of silly love songs)
Lately
Oxygen
Marrionette
Little too clean
Black gold
Without a trace (to karl)
Gravity
By the way
Never really been
To my own devices
String of pearls
Cant even tell
I will still be laughing
Into the light
Runaway train
Closer to the stars
Just like anyone (was weird seeing dave do the feedback at the end of this)

Encore
Feel like making love (dave dedicated this to michael, said he couldnt help himself)
Made to be broken!
April fool

The setlist was definitely cool, was a first time for me to see little too clean, cant even tell, made to be broken, and april fool live, so that was cool. Seems like with the touring, theyre mixing up the setlist more. The one thing i really missed was the interaction amongst the band members. Maybe this was due to blands absence, but it seemed too much like the dave show. Im hoping over time the guys really gel into equal participants. Id love seeing winston and roy behaving more like full fledged members. I suppose only time will tell.

Phil

jludes
Marionette

Post by jludes »

I agree it's a bit odd to see SA without Dan but respectfully disagree about the other (new) members lack of participation in the live show.

For better or for worse, it IS the Dave Show now. I say this is certainly for the better, as the alternative is no Soul Asylum at all. Also, aside from some now rote Dan/Dave interactions, Dan has pretty much just played his guitar in a workman-like role for at least the last few years. Even with Dan, SA would never return to the wild and reckless days of yore. What's missed most is Dan's vocal contributions, but what can you do. As the song says, "you just can't go back." They're still doing it and making newer and old fans happy, so I can't complain.

I don't think the new guys are shy or reticent to "open up." They play hard but they're not kids and their respective styles are pretty much set. They're not going to start windmilling, power jumping, or falling on stage any time soon. It's still a high-energy show and fun to listen to and watch.

All that said, yeah, I really DO hope Michael gets better soon. He is a very special drummer. In my opinion, SA has never sounded better live than when he took over.

John