2008 announced Tour Dates

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: 2008 announced Tour Dates

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Just got my tickets to the June 21st Kansas City show in the mail today! 8-)

(Is there an emoticon for dancing a jig around the house while giggling like a 13 year old girl? :D )
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

CrazyLittleWoman
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:01 pm

Just got my tickets to the June 21st Kansas City show in the mail today!

(Is there an emoticon for dancing a jig around the house while giggling like a 13 year old girl? )
I don't know if threre is an "emoticon" for that or not; but if there is one I need it for the Rochester and Stillwater shows in July. I was like a 13 year old boy when I purchased those tickets.

After the show; please post the set list. Just wondering how big is the venue they are playing in Kansas City and if they are headling or co-headling?
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Sometime to Return wrote:I don't know if threre is an "emoticon" for that or not; but if there is one I need it for the Rochester and Stillwater shows in July. I was like a 13 year old boy when I purchased those tickets.

After the show; please post the set list. Just wondering how big is the venue they are playing in Kansas City and if they are headling or co-headling?
First, I lied. I was screaming like a 13 year old girl, but I thought giggling sounded more dignified. :)

Will definitely post set list and a full report of stage patter, any controversial remarks, etc.

They are playing at a weekend-long ribs festival (We love our barbecue in KC -- a jazz and blues festival call Rhythm and Ribs takes place the week before.) It's outdoors in the parking lot of Kemper Arena, which itself is a large venue. I'm not sure how big the "stage" area is, but I'll let you know as part of the show report.

Various bands are playing throughout the day starting in the early afternoon. Soul Asylum is not the headliner. They play between The Alan Parsons Project and Los Lonely Boys (the last band on Sat. night). All the local advertising and promotional stuff (including my ticket stubs) say "featuring The Alan Parsons Project and Los Lonely Boys". Soul Asylum seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle as far as promotion goes. :x

Who is The Alan Parsons Project?
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

clammers
Social Butterfly

Post by clammers »

Don't quite know how to explain The Alan Parsons Project but this is probably their most popular song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYKTNZDl ... re=related

or this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHKJ5n_ ... re=related
"...and who is the hound at the downtown dog pound who speaks english when the watchman's not in sight?"

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

CrazyLittleWoman
All the local advertising and promotional stuff (including my ticket stubs) say "featuring The Alan Parsons Project and Los Lonely Boys". Soul Asylum seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle as far as promotion goes.
Argh!!...This kind of disrespect is unacceptable. :x

The Los Lonely Boys have 2; count 2 studio ablums and 1 major hit. I happen to like them but they don't have the pedigree that Soul Asylum does and I wouldn't consider them "hot" right now.

If you have a "classic rock" station in Kansas City, they will play the one or two hits by the Alan Parsons project that were popular 25 years ago.
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I actually thought that comic-book style video from the Alan Parsons Project was pretty cool. I don't think I saw that before today and I don't remember the song from the 80s. I knew the other song (Eye in the Sky).

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Thanks, clammers, for the links.
Sometime to Return wrote:Argh!!...This kind of disrespect is unacceptable. :x

The Los Lonely Boys have 2; count 2 studio ablums and 1 major hit. I happen to like them but they don't have the pedigree that Soul Asylum does and I wouldn't consider them "hot" right now.

If you have a "classic rock" station in Kansas City, they will play the one or two hits by the Alan Parsons project that were popular 25 years ago.
Obviously, I totally agree about the disrespect dished out to Soul Asylum here.

As for the Alan Parsons Project: 25 years ago is about when I thought they might have been popular. So the advertising here is aimed at Baby Boomers and college kids. People in our age group just don't count as a demographic. (A gripe for another time.)

Some minor good news, though. Our local free weekly printed their summer guide. The Rib America Festival was listed as one of the upcoming events. In the item about it, they listed Soul Asylum and Los Lonely Boys as the Saturday night headliners. Yes, they used the word headliners! And it does seem more appropriate for them to list it this way since Soul Asylum has the slot right before Los Lonely Boys. (Again, though, I'm guessing Alan Parsons Project is for the benefit of the Baby Boomers crowd.)

I didn't mention it before, but all the bands all day have equal stage time. They each have 90 minute sets with an hour break between bands.

I got what I think will be pretty good seats in the center section down front. If my guess is correct, I should be in the seventh row. (Kemper's website didn't have a seating chart for this event since it's in the parking lot and I didn't have a choice when I ordered tickets.) Will tell all in just two short weeks! :)

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

CrazyLittleWoman

As for the Alan Parsons Project: 25 years ago is about when I thought they might have been popular. So the advertising here is aimed at Baby Boomers and college kids. People in our age group just don't count as a demographic. (A gripe for another time.)
If by demographics you mean; Gen "Xer's' as defined by the media I agree. I agree with your gripe; but anyways...

My guess is that most baby boomers (even if they are music fans) don't know who The Alan Parsons Project is; so why promte them?

Glad to here the local free media guide is promoting Soul asylum as a co-headlliner (they should be the headliner; but I digress); at least they have "part of it" right.

I (we) look forward to your report. Enjoy the show.
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

bump for new dates

July 19th
Aug 19th
Aug 20th
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

bump for new dates

Sept 6th
Oct 25th
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over