2013 Oct. 13th - The Sands, Bethlehem, PA

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
ArmyKat
Inmate

2013 Oct. 13th - The Sands, Bethlehem, PA

Post by ArmyKat »

We made a last minute decision to attend the show at the Sands Bethlehem Event Center. It was another great show and a nice-sized audience. We got to meet long-time fan Jill/LittleCrash, who promised to start posting more if I gave her a shout-out. :)

A major highlight from this show was that SA brought Evan Dando up during their set and played the Lemonheads' "It's a Shame About Ray," which sounded great. There were also a lot of Bethlehem-themed jokes, including Dave introducing Winston, Michael, and Justin as "the 3 Wise Men" and a threat to play Little Drummer Boy.

Set list:

The Juice
Without a Trace
I Did My Best
Misery
Leave This Town
Gravity
Pipe Dream
Take Manhattan
Oxygen
I Will Still Be Laughing
Just Like Anyone
Black Gold
Never Really Been
Train
Closer to the Stars (unless I'm misremembering, this was on the list but got cut, possibly in lieu of the Dando appearance)
Made to Be Broken
Shove
April Fool

LittleCrash
Stranger

Re: Sands Bethlehem, PA, 10/11/13

Post by LittleCrash »

Thanks for posting the set list and for the shout-out, ArmyKat. You've guilted me into posting.
The Sands show was amazing. And yep, seems they swapped out "Closer to the Stars" for "It's a Shame About Ray." It was an unexpected and better-than-well-done surprise.
The good news, at least according to an online review from a local newspaper, was that SA's set was longer than FoW's. Justice.
We saw Dave as we were leaving. It was better than opening a Cracker Jack box and finding the weather predictor inside.

ArmyKat
Inmate

Post by ArmyKat »

LittleCrash wrote: The good news, at least according to an online review from a local newspaper, was that SA's set was longer than FoW's. Justice.
:lol:
LittleCrash wrote: We saw Dave as we were leaving. It was better than opening a Cracker Jack box and finding the weather predictor inside.
Color me jealous, but you totally deserved it after years of fandom! Did you show him your Twin/Tone spoils?

chevynut
Marionette

Post by chevynut »

I have been listening to and enjoying SA since And The Horse They Rode In On. I saw them at The Sands for the first time. It was AWESOME! I WILL see them again when they come around!

I was impressed when Dave's guitar string broke at the beginning of Runaway Train and Kim came out to help dave into a new guitar. The sond did not miss a beat. True professionals.

Anyway, the below link is a review from the local newspaper-
http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusi ... bands.html

LittleCrash
Stranger

Post by LittleCrash »

[/quote]Color me jealous, but you totally deserved it after years of fandom! Did you show him your Twin/Tone spoils?[/quote]

OK, ArmyKat, so now we are equal in our jealousy - I'm still seething over the fact that not only have the two of you been to, like, every East Coast SA concert ever, you always seem to score the front row, center position.

Believe me, when we were outside the bus, I said to Kevin, "Man, I wish that cool couple was here (meaning you guys, duh!)." And I did a quick re-con of the parking lot just to make sure you weren't, I don't know, power walking or listening to a cassette or something. To make you feel a bit better, it was probably about an hour after you left when we ran into him. We had planned on leaving around the same time but when the cover band in the bar area started playing, we decided to stay for a few songs. It was dumb luck. Then again, I WAS in Lancaster County earlier that day, but I don't recall stepping in/on anything other than macadam.

As for the yellowing (and fragile) SA swag, it was in my trunk. Drat.

It was rather surreal at first - talking to him - and I did think to myself, 'Shame on us for being so intrusive,' but then I felt like we were just hanging out with an old friend. We must've been outside talking for more than an hour.

Tell me you're not going to any more shows this year?

ArmyKat
Inmate

Post by ArmyKat »

Haha! No, we are not going to anymore shows this tour. I bequeath our front row, center spots to you and Kevin for the remainder. But we will have to plan a reunion at the next PA show!