2013 Oct. 2nd - Capital Theatre, Port Chester, NY

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Dude Abides
Lone Rider

2013 Oct. 2nd - Capital Theatre, Port Chester, NY

Post by Dude Abides »

Anyone have an idea on when Dave hits the stage?

Two opening acts listed with a 8:00 start time.

Thanks!

brownchickenbrowncow
Lone Rider

Re: Oct. 2 - Capital Theater, Port Chester, NY

Post by brownchickenbrowncow »

Soul Asylum isn't headlining - surprisingly. [EDIT: In another thread, someone said that they're co-headlining which means that they're supposed to have the same amount of time on stage as Fountains of Wayne.] Last night the doors were at 7, Evan Dando at 8, and Soul Asylum played from 9 until 10:15. Fountains of Wayne closed. Soul Asylum was phenomenal! Enjoy the show!

Sozwald
Stranger

Post by Sozwald »

Any idea how big the "pit" area is at this show? Just wondered how many folks they jam in there.
Thanks!

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

On their Facebook Page; Soul Asylum said they were playing a full set when I asked. I suppose 75 minutes is awfully close to a full set; but I wish it were a full "headliner" set. It is better than an "opener" set of 40-45 minutes.

The "General Admission" area constitutes the bulk of the venue. If I had to guess; I'd say 1,000 people? But, my depth perception is often wrong.

I have no idea if people will actually be moshing.

I splurged for a seat up in the Balcony.

Sozwald
Stranger

Post by Sozwald »

hey thanks for that info! Where in CT are you driving from?

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Re: 2013 Oct. 2 - Capital Theater, Port Chester, NY

Post by reboog711 »

I'll be driving up from Central CT. I've only been to Capital Theater once before; and it was for a Guster "acoustic" concert which had seats in the general admission section.

But, I assume the seats are not usually there. :-)

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: 2013 Oct. 2nd - Capital Theater, Port Chester, NY

Post by Yaz McBoo »

For the record, it is the "Capitol Theatre".

Set:
Keep it Up
Growing Into You
Misery / (Silly Love Songs)
Marionette
Little Too Clean
I Will Still Be Laughing
Summer of Drugs
Black Gold
Without a Trace
I Did My Best
Just Like Anyone
Gravity
The Streets
Into My Arms
Runaway Train
99%
Somebody to Shove

Closer to the Stars was on the setlist between Train and 99%, but was not played.

So, wow, Keep it Up! Might be the first time I heard that. 99% was another first-timer for me too. Growing Into You was also an unexpected 2nd song. Just Like Anyone in the middle of the set? Don't think I've heard Summer of Drugs in a while either. Nice that they are mixing things up! Only two songs off the new album, and lots of GDU - clearly they are going for the 90s nostalgia fanbase on this tour. But that's cool, if it means busting out some rarely played tunes.

A couple funny moments: Dave started playing I Did My Best when they were supposed to do Black Gold. I never realized how close those songs sound, at least in the beginning. Dave also did his end-of-song-spin-aroung thing too early in Without a Trace, and had to catch up to the "dance at a funeral" verse.

I liked Evan Dando's set despite not knowing his material beforehand. I left after 4 or 5 Fountains of Wayne songs. Couldn't get into them. Very small crowd tonight. I hope they do well in NYC, but the outlying shows may also get small turnouts.

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Re: 2013 Oct. 2nd - Capital Theatre, Port Chester, NY

Post by reboog711 »

I just got home...

Overall, the sound at the venue was bad. The vocals were buried and I had a hard time understanding the lyrics [even though I knew every Soul Asylum song]. Both SA and FOW experienced the same problem.

My recording is not as crystal clear as the one from Wolf Den, but it is listenable.

Evan Dando sounded great! Just like Lemonheads w/o bass and drums. I am a "moderate" LemonHeads fan. I Recognized a few songs and that helped me enjoy the set.

Soul Asylum was real sloppy; but clearly they were having fun. The stage was big enough that Dave was all over the place and often found himself nowhere near a mic when it came time for his voice to come back in. I really don't like that "Into My Arms" song. Summer of the Drug sounded heavier than I remember it; but the song has grown on me over the years. Keep it Up, Growing Into You, and 99% are all songs I saw for the first time.

Fountain of Wayne got better as they went along and won me over by the end. I could see myself enjoying the show a lot if I knew any of their songs [aside from Stacey's Mom]. They struck me as a weird mix of pop-punk with an acoustic country flair. Soul Asylum is a good compliment to their sound. They seemed less active on stage than SA; but the remaining crowd was into them.

People spoke about opening bands and co-headlining. I believe SA and FOW each played 75 minute sets. FOW got an "encore" and SA didn't; but that could mean we got more SA stage time. I'll have to time out my recordings to figure it out for sure.

[Ill get the recordings up as soon as I can; hopefully the master tomorrow and edits this weekend]

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: 2013 Oct. 2nd - Capital Theatre, Port Chester, NY

Post by Yaz McBoo »

This is the best I could make out for Evan Dando's setlist:

Hard Drive
Frying Pan
All My Life
Confetti
Into Your Arms
?
No Backbone