Irving Plaza NYC 6/17/2014

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
reboog711
Social Butterfly

Irving Plaza NYC 6/17/2014

Post by reboog711 »

I didn't see a thread for this. I just got back from the NYC gig at Irving Plaza. Here is my "first" impulse.

Space Hog: I never heard of them before; but think I recognized one song. They played one from their last album that impressed me, but overall I wasn't made a fan. They kind of had a 'punk' look but a contemporary sound. Short set, probably 25-30 minutes.

Eve 6: I'm a fan and know a lot of their songs. I enjoyed them. They have energy, although the songs sounded different than the albums. I think slightly longer than the Space Hog set, but not by much. The guy next to me complained about the sound; he guessed they blew an amp or something. I think the bass player was slightly out of tune and was putting more emphasis on being energetic than playing accurately.

Their drummer impressed me.

Soul Asylum: Very short set. I would have guessed 45 minutes, but it was actually 32 minutes including Art's intro. This is the setlist:

April Fool's
Little too Clean
Misery [Art from Everclear came out and sang w/ them; he seemed genuinely surprised when they jumped into Silly Love Songs]
Black Gold
Runaway Train
Somebody to Shove
Just Like Anyone

I'd believe I'm missing one. Maybe two. No Gravity or 'recent' songs. No new songs either. It was a heavier start than I expected.

Everclear: I'm a fan and know many of their songs; I only saw them once before (Back in their Golden lineup). But, Holy crap, they stole the show. Soul Asylum had a better sound mix; but Everclear put on a better show. Lots of energy, lots of audience interaction and jumping around. They just brought performance to a level I don't usually see.

I think they played an hour including encore.

But, still too short.

Show started at 7:30 and I was leaving the venue at 11, so less than four hours of music. I wish I didn't travel for this; and I consider myself a fan of three out of the four bands on the bill. I had assumed--incorrectly--that Everclear would get a full set (~90 minutes) and that Soul Asylum would be in the 60+ minute range (like when they toured w/ Fountains of Wayne) .

Aww, well...

I have recordings, but it'll take a few weeks before I get a chance to listen / edit/ upload.
Last edited by reboog711 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: Irving Plaza NYC 6/18/2014

Post by Closer »

Looks like they stuck with the GDU nostalgic tour.... 4 songs from that album in a very short set... come on, Soul Asylum.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Just got back from Pittsburgh. Don't feel like starting a new thread so I'll just post here.

Spacehog was kinda meh in my opinion. They played maybe 5 or 6 songs? Not bad, but they sure didn't light a fire under me.

Eve 6 killed it. Same length about, maybe a song or two longer. "Here's to the Night" brings back so many high school memories!!! (Not that it was new when I was in high school; we just always played on the midday announcements at the end of the year.)

SA was on fire but the set was waaayy too short. They did:
Somebody to Shove
Misery
Gravity
Black Gold
Can't Even Tell
Runaway Train
Just Like Anyone

Everclear I didn't see much of; I was too busy trying to flirt with their guitar tech by the merch table. (He had to run though and fix a problem, lol)

All in all it was a really enjoyable night and I definitely recommend catching one of these shows if you can. Would I recommend traveling to one JUST for Soul Asylum? Not really, but if you like the other guys at all, you're in for a fun night.

SUMMERLAND!

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

Here is an mp3 edit of my recording of SA. Not too bad; it will be a keeper for my collection.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/717 ... 140621.zip

[Give it a half hour to upload or so]

I forgot to add; Dave did something "ooh wee; what up with that" before the Just Like Anyone. I googled it; I guess some type of reference to a Saturday Night Live Skit.

NJ Misery
Inmate

Post by NJ Misery »

This is why I don't do these package tours.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I think many of us were expecting the one-hour plus shows like they did last fall. Plus that tour had Evan Dando who was cool too. I didn't care for the two openers this time. It was cool to see Everclear once, but I don't feel the need to see 'em again.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

the thread title lists this show being on June 18th, which appears to be incorrect. Can that be changed?

Danke!
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Re: Irving Plaza NYC 6/17/2014

Post by reboog711 »

I think I changed the subject line... it was the 17th; right? I was off by a day?

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

Rob said in a different thread that it was definitely on the 17th
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

The original wav file for those interested: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/717 ... andNYC.zip

Although, DropBox is telling me I'm full and that it uploaded.. I'm not sure which is true. ;)