2015 April 12th - Bismarck, ND

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

2015 April 12th - Bismarck, ND

Post by dells »

OMG, Soul Asylum is FINALLY coming to a venue within just 2 hours of me!!!!!!!

Just saw this come up in my Facebook Feed:

Bismarck Event Center
1 hr ·

ANNOUNCING: Soul Asylum: Fly Over Tour is coming to the Belle Mehus Auditorium on April 12 @ 8 pm. Tickets onsale Wednesday, March 18 @ 11:30 am!

Now to research the venue for accessibility for this gimp, and to figure out who will be my victim to take me... :D
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: April 12th - Bismack, ND

Post by AlyssaJones »

Great news! You deserve a show. :) Hope it all works out!

dells
Social Butterfly

Re: April 12th - Bismack, ND

Post by dells »

Got my ride & concert companion all worked out right away! :) Turned out that my BFF had had one of her randomly chosen 4-day weekends scheduled for the prior weekend already, but since it hadn't been scheduled for any particular reason, and no one else had requested the 10th & 13th off, she was able to just shift her requested days off to the following weekend, so that she could take me & not have to deal with needing to be back by 6am for work. (In order to make sure that she gets to use all of her PTO time, & not end up losing it, she schedules evenly spaced out weekends throughout the year to request off the Friday & Monday for, in order to have regular 4-day weekends all year. Stupid corporations that force their employees to request their chosen days to use up ALL of their PTO for the whole year, way at the beginning of the year.... :/)

Sadly, even though she also has Friday the 10th off as well, I can't expect her to be able to do that much solo driving to make it a double header weekend of both the Fargo & Bismarck shows. Although we both would WANT to, we're just simply not young enough anymore for that much driving for 1 driver in 3 days. :/
dells

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: 2015 April 12th - Bismarck, ND

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Have fun at your show, Dells!

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

O.K...... Now I'm seriously pissed off!

The tickets to this show go on General public onsale tomorrow, but have an Internet presale going on TODAY. HOWEVER....., an offer code is required(which the Ticketmaster event page didn't mention anywhere until AFTER I attempted to search for tickets after the presale start time... :/), and I have found no information available anywhere as to where/how to get the necessary code!

As a dedicated fan who has been subscribed to the band's official website's email list for decades, as well as having been a member here since the very day of this site's start-up, and also I "liked" and am "following" the Facebook pages of the band, venue, and show's Facebook event page, you would THINK that the presale code would have been handed to me,or at least be able to be located, yet I have found nothing the required presale code.

I am VERY upset about this "presale with no offer code offered to me" situation!!!!

The venue's box office and admin offices were totally clueless/useless. She couldn't even tell me who the promoter was, so that I could contact them.

UPDATE: CRISIS AVERTED!!!
While scouring the venue's Facebook post for their Facebook "event" for this show,I just happened to notice in the upper right-hand corner of the page, a Facebook ad for another Facebook "event" for this same show, that was created by the promoter, Jade Presents, and when I went to THEIR Facebook event page, there was the presale code. The code for today's presale is CLOSER, in case anyone else from here plans on roadtripping in my direction to attend this show. I used 2 Ticketmaster accounts to buy 2 pairs of seats, a pair @ 3rd row center, and also a pair @ 1st row far left end of the center section. I would prefer to use the 3rd row center pair, I think, but in case I can't hobble down between the rows full of ppl to get to my 3rd row seat, then I've got claim to a cpl of front row seats off to the side, if necessary. If I'd had the damn code the right away, I might have been able to score 1st row center tix... :/ But I've got tix, so I'm happy!
dells

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

The band sounded really good. I was a bit worried that Dave's voice might be a bit off after a few shows within the last week, but he sounded good.

American Scarecrows and Jon Mark Nelson were pretty good, Dave could learn some on stage interaction skills from the frontmen of both of those acts, as they were both really good at talking to the crowd. Carnage The Executioner did not show up for this show but apparently Dave likes him, as he was wearing a Carnage t-shirt.
The venue was only about 1/3 full, so I was quite disappointed with the turnout, but those who came did sing quite a bit, most noticeably during Misery and Runaway Train, so Dave was visibly happy to get that crowd participation. I didn't hear any crowd singing during Gravity, but Dave must have seen more mouths moving than just me, because after Gravity, he commented afterwards with a bashful, grateful smile "We were not aware that you were familiar with our recent material"

Speaking of Gravity.....it was literally an instant hit with my teenaged nephew & his buddy. I ended up buying 2 pairs of tickets during the presale, and then couldn't pass up buying a 3rd pair of front row center set of tix when the first 2 rows were made available during the general on sale, then since the tickets really weren't selling very well, , I didn't bother trying to sell my extras, but instead gave the 3rd row center set to my young nephew & his buddy, & the other extra set to my brother & his wife. When I offered the tix to the teens, they were not familiar with Soul Asylum, so I looked up a recent live clip on YouTube to give them an idea of what to expect at a SA show, & chose a late 2014 clip of Gravity, they only had to hear the first 2 beats before immediately speaking up with an excited "We're in!"

Back to the show review:

Dave seemed just a bit more talkative than usual(in reality, not very much actually, but still about 2x or 3x as much commentary than he usually does).
he didn't say anything very special or memorable. one of his comments was that he felt like telling stories tonight, and gave Misery the corny intro of declaring that "This next song is about the Show Me state.... The song is called Misery, & it's about Missouri" During the Encore he claimed that "Here's a little tune we just wrote this morning" before playing Runaway Train. He told one of his bad jokes. "What do you get when you cross an elephant and a rhino?... An ellifrino!"

I was in the front row center, only about 4 feet from the edge of the stage, and I had planned to be standing during SA's entire set, as I usually do, and since it felt weird to just be standing in front of my seat with several feet of empty space between me & the stage, I stepped up to the edge of the stage so that I could lay my phone on the edge of the stage, so that I'd be able to quickly & easily jot down the setlist into my notepad app(I can't jot down setlists with pen & paper anymore, nor type into my phone 1-handed while standing, since I'm 1-handed, & it's too distracting to have to look down at my phone on my lap, so being able to have my phone safely on the edge of the stage right in front of me would have been very helpful) It didn't work out that way, however, as a security old fart came over & made me sit down only 1/2 way through Somebody to Shove, but, the Bismarck setlist was very similar to the one in Duluth a few nights prior, so I only had to keep track of 2 differences. We got Just Like Anyone after Shove, and we also got a cover of Rhianon.

Here's the Setlist:

Somebody To Shove
Just Like Anyone
Misery (with Silly Love songs)
Lately
All Is Well
Bus Named Desire
Can't Help It
Black Gold
Without A Trace
Rhiannon
Gravity
Spinnin'
Shut Down
The Game
Oxygen

(Encore)
No Time For Waiting
Runaway Train
April Fool

I have no idea if Can't Help It is a new SA song, or a cover. It didn't sound at all familiar to me, but I also couldn't find it in the list of Soul Asylum songs registered on the ASCPA website.
dells

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

Thanks for the review Dells, sounds like you had a good time!

That setlist is almost song-for-song the same as the Duluth show with a couple others thrown in there. But yes the song "I Can't Help It" is new and was first played at the 2 Entry shows last December, along with 2 other "new" songs at the time.

But I'm glad you were able to see a show, finally!!
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.