June 22nd - Bowery Ballroom NYC

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
Sad Daydream
Marionette

Re: June 22nd - Bowery Ballroom NYC

Post by Sad Daydream »

Yaz McBoo wrote:Sad Daydream - what tour(s) did you see them on? Certainly the last couple of years they have mixed up the setlists. But as recently as early 2013 they were doing the same set every night, with the only variations coming in the 2-song encore..
I saw them twice in NYC before Dan left and the sets were different, but you are right about those being 'one offs' as opposed to tours. I also remember talking to someone in NC who was telling me what set they had done in Minneapolis a few weeks prior to one of those NYC shows with Dan, and it was a LOT different - it seems they played a lot of oldies for their hometown crowd. But the most concrete (and post-Dan) memory I had in mind is when I saw them in NC and NYC in 2013 less than a week apart, and the sets were fairly different:

Raleigh:
1. Your Generation
2. Just Like Anyone
3. Misery
4. Gravity
5. Into the Light
6. The Streets
7. Whatcha Need
8. Black Gold
9. Without a Trace
10. Black Gold
11. I Will Still Be Laughing
12. Can't Even Tell
13. Leave This Town
14. Oxygen
15. Latley
16. Never Really Been
17. Runaway Train
18. Closer To the Stars
19. Somebody To Shove
20. When I Ran Off And Left Her
21. April Fool

NYC:
1. Somebody to Shove
2. Misery
3. Little Too Clean
4. I Will Still Be Laughing
5. Can't Even Tell
6. Gravity
7. Into The Light
8. The Streets
9. When I Ran Off and Left Her
10. Black Gold
11. Without a Trace
12. Growing Into You
13. Oxygen
14. Lately
15. Into My Arms (Nick Cave cover)
16. Never Really Been
17. Runaway Train
18. Closer to the Stars
19. Just Like Anyone
20. Encore:
21. Leave This Town
22. April Fool

I see I definitely exaggerated when I said 'half the set' was different - but the order sure was, and there are some differences besides the encores. It's just one of the things I always liked about the Soul Asylum live experience, that seeing them different nights meant different orders and songs. I know most bands play the same set during a whole tour, so this isn't unusual. Anyway, always good to hear from other SA fans! :-)

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Made2bebroken wrote:After monday my love for SA has come back in full force and I decided to join the forum so I could discuss how much fun I had.

Thought the show was great. This was my first SA show since Dan left and at first I was worried but the more I thought about it the more ok I was with it. Mike's the best drummer they ever had and even though no one can replace Karl, their new bass player seems to really enjoy playing with them and feels like more apart of the band than Tommy.

Even though the show in Riverhead is a lot closer to my house I picked the NYC show over that one cause I love the Bowery Ballroom. But both bands played so good I decided to pick up tickets for friday as well.
That's the thing - it's the first time in a long time SA feels like a "band." Even the last few years Dan was in the band, there was a revolving door of bass players, and not much on-stage interaction (at least my memory bank is telling me that). These guys all now feel like they are happily in it for the long haul. I know Winston has other work, but as others have said he really seems to enjoy it up there. Justin will be around, and as long as Dave keeps cranking out great new material I think Michael will continue to anchor the stage back.

Bowery is the best venue in Manhattan, of any size. Love that place. I can't believe I've been seeing shows there for 17 years now.

Welcome aboard M2BB!!

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

Nice to see some discussion picking up on recent shows!

And to to read comments about the line up that aren't "This isn't really SA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Justin isn't Dan!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will never be good again!!!!!!!". I've seen them since Justin was still pretty new and it's been cool to see this whole thing develop. They're really solid, there's great energy between everyone and I really, honestly can't see where anyone says this line up is lacking (aside from blaming poor sound on the new line up...). Can a band only be genuine if preserved, never changing like some sort of museum artifact? I'd much rather have Soul Asylum and live shows and new material in 2015 than have an artifact to think back on fondly but that would never be an actual thing ever again.

It has felt to me from the start that the more recent line up changes have given new life to the band. They tour now! There's been at least 4 shows a year within an hour of me since Justin joined the band. I go to all of them! And I planned vacation around going to some further away this year. Before Justin joined the band, it had been a long 6 years since they had come around here and shows were few and far between. Now there's going to be a new album. A new album and it hasn't even been 7 years since the last one!

Unfortunately, I never got to see them with Karl. It was not for a lack of not wanting to, I would have loved to have been going to see them since I first fell in love with their music. Age, money, distance, lack of transportation and/or lack of touring always seemed to work against me. I did see them once with Dan and that was a great show. But it was just one show and they didn't come back to this area for several years after...not until Justin joined. Drummers in the band have come and gone until Michael. Does anyone feel like he's not been the best fit out of all of them? I can't say that I don't wish I could've seen earlier versions, original line up or whatever. But much of that is wishing I could see them in a different time and place. All in all, I think that this is a very good time to be a Soul Asylum fan. Certainly the best time to be a SA fan in the past 10 years.