2015 July 24th Santa Cruz, Ca. Free shows

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
cujofats
O'Jeezer

2015 July 24th Santa Cruz, Ca. Free shows

Post by cujofats »

They just announced the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk free shows for this summer. Soul Asylum is scheduled for July 24th, 2 shows, one at 6:30 p.m. the 2nd at 8:30 p.m.
Here is the schedule:
http://beachboardwalk.com/mobile/concerts.html

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Re: 2015 July 24th Santa Cruz, Ca. Free shows

Post by EasyStreet »

Nice, showing some NoCal love seeing as they are playing July 25 in SF, then in Napa the next day, hopefully you can make it to a few of those!
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

cujofats
O'Jeezer

Post by cujofats »

I'll post the set lists later. I was unable to post a photo I took at the show for some reason, doing something wrong.....anyway, for now, here are 2 youtube links of clips of the show. Spinnin from the early show, and April Fool from the late show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cKTcJkCYp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDNYoma7GtU

cujofats
O'Jeezer

Post by cujofats »

To get good seating on the beach with a clear view of the stage you have to show up early and wait in line, so we arrived around 2 p.m. there was around 25 or so people there already. Being free shows you never know how many people will show up early for a good spot. It was a pretty warm day, in the upper 80's I would guess. The last time the band played here was 1995 at the Civic Auditorium. We have driven around and seen them in various cities since 1990, but this was the first show I have seen without Danny on guitar. I have to say, this is a different sounding band without him. He had that monster tone, finesse, sustain and slight "train that might fly off the tracks" sound to his guitar solos. Some of the snarl has been taken out of the SA sound it seems. Before anyone jumps down my throat I will say I did enjoy the new sound of the band, it's just a bit different. Michael Bland is of course an upper level musician, and Winston really seemed to be enjoying himself during the show. The band played tight and fast, each set was 45 minutes with very little banter between songs. Dave did joke around a bit, after 'Watcha Need' he pulled out a miniature Oscar statuette and said "You like me, you really, really like me" like Sally Field. To start the 2nd set the band hit the stage while the theme to Rocky played over the PA system. 'April Fool' in both sets was great, drenched in feedback with that classic SA sound. 'Spinnin' was also fantastic. Also great to hear the 2 new songs (played in the 2nd set) No encores performed for either set. Quite a few people lined up for the merchandise table. I was bummed the new shirt with the tour dates on the back was sold out. The merch girl told me it was really popular and had sold quickly. A few folks waited around for awhile until Dave came out. He was, as always, really nice and approachable. He signed everything and took some photos, and gave my friend one of his guitar picks for her birthday. All in all it was a lot of fun. I look forward to the new album.
6:30 p.m. early set:
(compilation of various audio clips played while band walked out)
Somebody To Shove
Shut Down
Just Like Anyone
Misery/Silly Love Songs
Watcha' Need
Without A Trace (dedicated to Karl)
Runaway Train
Spinnin'
Gravity
April Fool

8:30 p.m. show:
(intro- theme to Rocky played over PA)
Somebody To Shove
Shut Down
Just Like Anyone
Misery
Watcha' Need
Black Gold
Runaway Train
Can't Help It
Supersonic
Spinnin'
April Fool

I have a few photos I took, but am having trouble posting them. I keep getting the 'invalid file format' message. if anyone has any tips let me know. Thanks!