2015 June 5th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

2015 June 5th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

Post by LittleTooClean »

Hi All
Not sure if anyone was going to meet up before the show.
Patty and I will be attending.
We will be a The Depot at about 6:30ish - if anyone is interested.

You should also stop by and say Hi at the Kill Kancer table, make a donation, buy a shirt - Patty and I will be selling shirts with Mary Beth.
Here is a new article about the 10 years since we lost Karl and the work Kill Kancer is doing.

http://innocentwords.com/ten-years-afte ... ncer-fest/
Last edited by LittleTooClean on Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Re: June 5 @ First Ave

Post by OneLovedBand »

Hope to see you there!

irreverentsoul
Runaway

Post by irreverentsoul »

Set List:
Somebody To Shove
Shutdown
Just Like Anyone
Misery
Whatcha Need
Black Gold
Without A Trace
The Game
Can't Help It
Supersonic
No Time for Waiting
Eyes of a Child
Runaway Train
Spinning
Gravity
[Encore]
Made To Be Broken (with Jason's kids)
April Fool

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Thanks for posting. Interesting setlist with a number of songs out of their "usual" spot. Such as "Shutdown/Just Like Anyone/Misery." Cool to see some Candy stuff. I really hope they break out more new songs this summer. I'd be happy just to hear Hallowed Ground, or whatever it is called now. However, I'm guessing they will hold off until the album is actually out.

Matthew
Caged Rat

Post by Matthew »

My first time at first ave.. with a chance to see the Purple Rain star and what a darn good show this was. Talked with Justin at the café just had a refreshment as soon as .. thank you.
met Jackofalltrades too
Last edited by Matthew on Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

irreverentsoul
Runaway

Post by irreverentsoul »

American Scarecrows, the opening band were great! They play high energy alt county rock. The Meat Puppets did not catch my ear even though I knew several of their songs. Several of the songs I was not familiar with were 'jams' with a lot of guitar whiz antics by Curt Kirkwood.

Soul Asylum was disappointing. This is the first night of a summer long tour. Dave forgot or missed lyrics on more than a handful of songs even though he had a cheat sheet of lyrics in a notebook by his mic stand. Jason, who replaced Dan Murphy, play competent guitar solos but his general guitar tone was off. He uses more guitar effects rather than the buzzing growl of Dan's Les Paul guitar. He was also more reserved than usual. Perhaps because his kids were in attendance. A boy about 2 years old and a girl about 5 years old played shakers on "Made To Be Broken" the group's first encore song.

The sound was LOUD and rather muddy. The set list was interesting although they only played two new songs. The band did not talk about their new record at all! ODD!

As always, Michael Bland's drumming was fantastic. Winston was also great and was very energetic on bass.

The show looked sold out and the crowd seem to enjoy the show.

Perhaps waiting in traffic in beautiful Minneapolis because of a baseball game between the 1st place Twins and the Brewers soured my attitude or it could have been the $13.00 event parking.

It was fun....but left room for improvemet.

Drop me an e-mail at carefulaim@outlook.com if you want a taste of the new stuff...

praukar
Runaway

Post by praukar »

thanks for the reviews/set list, bummed I missed a local show. nice to see eyes of a child make the cut, I feel they haven't pulled that one out in awhile. agree on the American scarecrows comment, they sounded great when I saw them with SA at the Duluth gig

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Heh, Dave isn't the world's best self-promoter. Heck, he didn't even mention Delayed Reaction at the record release show in 2012, or at least not until nudged on by another band member.

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (60.04 KiB) Viewed 22623 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (53.37 KiB) Viewed 22623 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 22623 times

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

Thanks for the vids and pictures, awesome stuff!!

I was also at this show, and have some of the same thoughts as already noted.

Good show yes, but certainly not the best show I've seen. Tour opening show indeed so give it a week or 2 for it to kick in for Dave and these will be smoking shows I would think.

Anyways, forgotten lyrics, more than usual as I swear I noticed almost a 1/2 dozen instances of that. And Justin had some extra "whah" going in his sound and/or foot pedal stuff. I believe he was using a new guitar too as I don't remember seeing that one before. If so, that could explain the different sounds. But the sounds from his guitar being different made the song sound not the same, so that was kinda throwing me....

The Meat Puppets more or less killed it I think. Rather typical set from them, but really what can you say about those guys? They rock!!

The American Scarecrows set was awesome! Second time seeing them but those guys put on a bit higher energy show and are actually quite good! I believe they are local (to me) to I'll have to watch around for them.
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.