June 20, 2015 Brooklyn Bowl

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

June 20, 2015 Brooklyn Bowl

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Setlist:

Somebody to Shove
Shut Down
Just Like Anyone
Misery/Silly Love Songs-dedicated to a couple who named their kids Lennon and McCartney
Whatcha Need-We needed a bass solo from Winston!
Black Gold
Without a Trace
The Game
Can't Help It
Supersonic-Winston sang some on this one; has he done so at the other shows? I thought that was cool.
No Time for Waiting
Eyes of a Child
Runaway Train
Spinnin'
Gravity

Encore:
Made to be Broken
April Fool

I enjoyed the show and it was good to see Rob, Carin, and Brian. Vocals were difficult to hear in the mix so close to the stage, but according to Rob that's a known issue for this venue.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: June 20, 2015 Brooklyn Bowl

Post by Yaz McBoo »

I always think the vocals are muffled up front, at most venues. Maybe it is moreso here, but Brooklyn Bowl is such a great place in terms of aesthetics and location and extras (good food inside, and nearby) that the sound - the most important thing for a show - might be easily overlooked. It also has good light for photography. I've only been going here for the last 3-4 years, but it is now one of my favorite venues, anywhere.

I enjoyed the two new songs. Shut Down was also very cool. Nice to hear The Game finally, but I could see other stuff in its place next time. Always a fan of No Time For Waiting and the other upbeat stuff from Candy, it brings me back to my "early days" of seeing SA live for the first time.

But man, I can't believe how little interest there is in this tour. Not much chatter here. Seems like many regulars are skipping the tour, or are not taking advantage of the chance to see multiple gigs in nearby cities. Have we been spoiled the last 2-3 years, now that the band is touring more regularly and playing actual rock clubs again? I'll take this over one-off Oyster Fests any day.

Ok, I'll be the first to comment on the opener. I was forewarned about the Meat Puppets, mainly the antics of the bass player. He clearly has some issues (though some lady in the crowd said, after the show, "Oh, I thought that was his stage act!"). Very sad to see, yet perversely it felt like watching a classic punk rock meltdown. Outside of the that. I enjoyed their music, moreso than the other SA fans, as I own 2 or 3 of their albums and was familiar with some of the material. They did all three of the Nirvana Unplugged songs, my favorite of which is "Oh, Me." They did play Backwater which apparently was skipped the night before in Philly. I even enjoyed the 10+ minute, mainly instrumental, jam in the middle of their set. They also covered "Sloop John B", a Beach Boys song (which seemed familiar to most of the crowd - that's one band I've never gotten into much less exposed to, so I was oblivious). Cool tune, and one it seems they do regularly. The only drag was Lake of Fire, when they kicked up the speaker volume several notches into the realm of discomfort.

SA pics:

Sad Daydream
Marionette

Post by Sad Daydream »

I was extremely disappointed. The sound was awful. Someone was shouting "The sound is shit! You can't hear the vocals", and he was absolutely right. The lead guitar was overbearing - it was twice as loud as the rest of the band. Dave is one of my favorite singers, so not being able to hear him was a bummer. Having Spinnin' in the set list was amazing, but again, the sound made it not half as exciting as it should have been. Oh, and The Game was a nice inclusion as well.

Yaz McBoo - you thought it was the bassist who was having the meltdown? To me it looked like the guitarist on the far left was instigating everything, but perhaps I missed something. What's weird is (besides the drummer) they are all related, so apparently there's some bad blood within the family. I'm not a huge MP fan, but thought they had a real good set.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

The MP's bass player was the one who walked on stage and immediately gave the crowd the finger, grabbed his balls, and said "Fuck You" to the audience. And then his brother came right over and told him to chill out. He then proceeded to stumble around the stage, nearly falling over at times, and knocked a water bottle over creating a puddle in the middle of a pile of guitar cables. I don't think he was entirely there musically either. It was really uncomfortable watching him. I guess you missed all that. The second guitarist, who I believe is his nephew (son of the lead guitarist), was justifiably pissed off.

Sad Daydream
Marionette

Post by Sad Daydream »

Interesting - I appreciate the clarification. I wasn't up front until SA, and all I saw was the guitarist giving the bassist the finger and dirty looks. I didn't realize he was merely reacting to the bassist's antics. But now that you mention it, the bassist WAS making those gestures. I saw him babbling into the mic, but due to the shitty sound, couldn't make out what he was saying. Thanks for the details!

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

I was also at the show and while I thought, as always, Soul Asylum was great, the sound was TERRIBLE. I could barely hear Dave's vocals and all I heard was Justin's guitar. I certainly still had a great time, but the poor sound was a burden.

Also, and I feel bad even typing this, but the two new songs they played barely held my attention. They certainly have a different sound to them then other material of theirs, but they just seem like good songs and not GREAT songs. Hopefully my opinion changes when I hear them on the album!

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

Awesome photos as usual Yaz. I'm wondering where everyone is too! Has this forum ever been so dead during a tour? The FB group is a bit more active, maybe it's just because people don't go to forums as much any more. I haven't postedmy review of the 4 shows I went to yet either though...I guess I need to do that!

TravisSaves wrote:
Also, and I feel bad even typing this, but the two new songs they played barely held my attention. They certainly have a different sound to them then other material of theirs, but they just seem like good songs and not GREAT songs. Hopefully my opinion changes when I hear them on the album!
Is this the first you've heard the new songs? I really like both and think Supersonic is fantastic.
Yaz McBoo wrote:The MP's bass player was the one who walked on stage and immediately gave the crowd the finger, grabbed his balls, and said "Fuck You" to the audience. And then his brother came right over and told him to chill out. He then proceeded to stumble around the stage, nearly falling over at times, and knocked a water bottle over creating a puddle in the middle of a pile of guitar cables. I don't think he was entirely there musically either. It was really uncomfortable watching him. I guess you missed all that. The second guitarist, who I believe is his nephew (son of the lead guitarist), was justifiably pissed off.
:O
Well that's pretty punk rock I suppose. We went to 4 shows in a row and MPs were really good at all 4. Bad night I guess...

Sad Daydream
Marionette

Post by Sad Daydream »

TravisSaves wrote:...the sound was TERRIBLE. I could barely hear Dave's vocals and all I heard was Justin's guitar.
While this would not have fully solved the problem, Justin's guitar was a huge detriment, both in terms of volume and sound. The clean tones worked well, but when he was distorted (which is most of the time) it was a shitty tone and buried EVERYTHING. The only time things sounded close to ok was when Dave was playing acoustic and Justin clean. And as far as the new songs, they didn't capture me at all. However, I'm not judging them based on a performance where all you could hear was one crunchy guitar. I'm still looking forward to the new album.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

nice pictures!!!

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

Yaz McBoo wrote: But man, I can't believe how little interest there is in this tour. Not much chatter here. Seems like many regulars are skipping the tour, or are not taking advantage of the chance to see multiple gigs in nearby cities.
I'm guilty of that and have a ton of excuses.

This is a real busy month show wise. Weird Al, Third Eye Blind, Bowling for Soup. I'm seeing more shows the past 3 weeks than in the past year. I didn't have it in me to add an extra travel date. .

Some home renovations have strained my budget, so paying for a hotel around the corner from Brooklyn Bowl is not that appealing.

Additionally, the current rendition of SA half feels like a cover band so the incentive to travel isn't there.

I'm dragging myself out to Hartford 'morrow because it is close; but I even waffled on that for a while.

Yaz McBoo wrote: Have we been spoiled the last 2-3 years, now that the band is touring more regularly and playing actual rock clubs again? I'll take this over one-off Oyster Fests any day.

I saw SA play some great Oyster Festivals. I quite like the open-air shows. I have no explanation as to why SA came to CT so often.

Despite all the comments about Meat Puppets; I'm really looking forward to seeing them. I've seen them twice before and they are hands down the best live band I've ever seen.