6-27-15 The Chance, Poughkeepsie, NY

Talk about the latest gigs, publish your show reports, and reminisce about past performances.
mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

6-27-15 The Chance, Poughkeepsie, NY

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I made a last minute decision to catch the Poughkeepsie show. Jeff (reboog), it was nice to meet you before the show.

Sound mix was in my opinion better than in Brooklyn--I could actually hear the vocals for the bands. The Meat Puppets were much better tonight too--good music and light on the drama and antics.

Soul Asylum put on a fun show, with a few minor setlist changes:

Somebody to Shove
Shut Down
Just Like Anyone-seemed to have an extended jam session ending
Misery/Silly Love Songs
What up with that? Part 1 (from the SNL skit)--Dave mentioned that the last time they were in Poughkeepsie it was with a band called Agitpop, then Dave told some bad jokes that I didn't understand. Michael started drumming and I thought it was to get Dave to stop with the jokes, but then they did the SNL skit song.

Whatcha Need-According to Dave, we need a crowd sourced movie about a country opera or about the guitar solos at the end of this song.

Black Gold
Without a Trace-might be the first time I heard Dave mention Karl's middle name, Herman
Femme Fatale-they said they were going to change things up a bit with a cover song; this replaced The Game
Can't Help It
Supersonic-of the two new songs, I liked this one more
What Up with That? Part 2: More bad jokes while Dave got his A-string clipped because it was giving him problems.

No Time for Waiting
Eyes of a Child
Runaway Train
Spinnin'
Gravity

Encore:
Made to be Broken--So Dave says, "this goes out to...YOU!" and he pointed to me!!! Then I pointed to myself as if to ask, "Me?" and he nodded! :D :D :D
April Fool-To complete my evening, I got a guitar pick at the end. :)

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: 6-27-15 The Chance, Poughkeepsie, NY

Post by Closer »

Why are they playing almost the same setlists every night? They have so many great songs to choose from and that way it's far more interesting for themselves to mix it up and also for the people that come to see them more than once. That's why I love Pearl Jam... throughout their whole career they never played the same setlist on a tour and always kept it interesting.

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

Good to meet ya. ;)

I'm pretty sure Michael started drumming before Dave got to the punchline which is perhaps why the joke made no sense.

This show was tons better than the Hartford show; both in audio mix and energy. The place was also pretty crowded. Weird venue setup, though.

The cover was a surprise, but I didn't know the song. It was by John Denver.

Meat Puppets did play Backwater.

Unfortunately my recording sucks [again]. I'm running out of points of failure for my equipment. Either the mics themselves are hosed or the input into the recorder.

GroovyYeti
Stranger

Post by GroovyYeti »

My friend was at this show and said SA was amazing. He was able to meet Dave and get a picture and some autographs after waiting an hour and a half for Dave to come out of his tour bus after the show :P He also took some video, when he uploads them is it cool if I link them here or is that against forum rules?

He said the Meat Puppets were a bit of a mess, apparently the bassist was smashed out of his mind and one of the guitarist was a bit "snippy".

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

GroovyYeti wrote: He said the Meat Puppets were a bit of a mess, apparently the bassist was smashed out of his mind and one of the guitarist was a bit "snippy".

I'd guess similar about the bassist. During one Jam He stumbled around a bit and knocked over a few mic stands. I couldn't tell if it was part of the act or if he was completely out of it. He seemed to switch between moments of perfect clarity and gross incompetence.

I did not notice one of the guitarists being snippy, although someone screamed out "you suck" and the band had a lot of fun with that. The lead guitarist/singer said "but now we have your money, so thanks" The rhythm guitarist said "I want to give you a hug after the show" or something similar. It was an amusing bit; although I can't help but wonder if they'd have been better off ignoring it.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

reboog711 wrote: The cover was a surprise, but I didn't know the song. It was by John Denver.
It was the Velvet Underground's "Femme Fatale" so I'm not sure why John Denver was mentioned.

I could see the set list by Michael's drums, so based on that and the previous show, I could tell this replaced "The Game."

vlad
Brand New Shine

Post by vlad »

I got the A string that he broke and a guitar pick! Woot! Great show. It was a lot of fun. I was just to your left Mystic. I remember him pointing to you and handing you the pick after the show. I wanted to get the poster for the show off the wall but someone had ripped them off already. :(

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

My recordings of these shows came out slightly better than the Hartford one, but not by much. The Soul Asylum one cut off early in the set for some reason.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/717 ... eepski.zip

I didn't do any post-processing on this other than the convert the wav to flac. A more imaginative person may be able to 'do magic' to this.

[In unrelated news the Guster show I recorded two week later came out awesome; so I'm not sure why the two SA shows sucked]